Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted)
Quote | Reply
First of all, I can't call Whistler, Ironman Canada. That's like calling the new wife of a buddy who was married to someone for 30 years with the ex wife's name. Whistler is its own event. It does not need to steal its name from Penticton. That does both Penticton and Whistler a disservice. Whistler has a lot to offer. It is in the category of "world resort" and can benefit more from that branding.

OK....enough of that.

I got to check out parts of all three courses. Truth be told I had run on most of the run course and most of the bike course as early as 1992 after I came here to vacation after doing IMC Penticton. It was awesome then and it is even better now.

Swim: The swim venue is stunning. It is one of the nicest swim venues I have been to in this sport outside of Nice France and St. Croix (Kona is cool because it is Kona, but I can think of many other beach venues with a better beach than the Kona swim venue). Yeah, the water is cold, and I hate cold water, but the peaks on all sides and clear water make up for that. Most of you would not find the water that cold. I get cold in the water in Hawaii so take my input with a grain of salt. You can ride over from the main village in 15 minutes or take the shuttles on race day. It would be nicer if the village was beside the lake like LP or Tremblant, but it works just fine.

Bike Course: I had ridden down to Pemberton and back several times in the past so I did not ride it on race week. I like the ride out of T1 from Alta lake. Just enough uphill to hopefully warm things up. Going down to the Callaghan turn off, is lots of downhill but you are mainly pedaling in the 50x12 and 50x11 (compact crank). There are also several short uphills from 5-8% grade on this "downhill section". I added up around 100m+ of vertical gain on the downhill section risers. The climb to Callaghan was stunnning. I did not complete the entire thing on account of "tapering". There was lot of 7-10% grades there. Very beautiful terrain. In my perfect world, IM Whistler would be a 2x90K loop down towards Squamish Callaghan climbs on each loop. Unfortunately triathlon cannot keep the Sea to Sky Highway closed all day so we go towards Pemberton. The ride back up to Whistler added up quickly. By the time I was back to Whistler, there was >2000 ft of climbing in the first part of the course! After race day, I will update on the Pemberton section, but a lot has been said by many. I did ride down once past Green Lake part way down when I arrived here. The wind coming back to Whistler is a wind tunnel as the land heats up faster than the sea beyond Squamish...ouch. That will hurt tomorrow.

Run: love the twisting and turning through town the lost lake loop. I was supposed to be tapering, but I decided that it was more important to show my son the run loop around that lake than worry about my perfect race result. He's hooked and has been running through those trails daily. You're never really on a flat on this course. This will be the opposite of the IM Texas run course where you literally never hit a hill.

Venue: Whistler village is as good as it gets for families. Between the lodging options, hiking, lifts up the mountains, options to glacier ski, dining from low end to the most high end, you have everything. I've vacationed here in the past so no surprise, but to mate that experience with an Ironman is near perfect. I'd rate this on par with taking a family to Nice France (probably better for most North Americans, I am just biased to France and the Cote d'Azur). Plus you don't need a car once you get here. There are shuttles right from Vancouver airport that beam you and your bike case here. Turn your brain off and just show up.

I am biased to IM Tremblant which is near home for many of the same reasons I think Whistler is fantastic. But take Tremblant, and inject it with Steroids and HGH, and then juice it up with the entire US Postal EPO/blood bag routine and you're barely at the magnitude of Whistler. An Ironman surround by 6-8 foot peaks but unlike Tahoe you are not at high altitude and can actually breath. That makes this venue near perfect. The main danger here is you could easily blow your taper doing all the family stuff on the mountain. Nothing worse than being on vacation and sitting in the hotel room missing out. Looking out the window, I feel like I should run/hike to the summit or rent a cross country bike and ride to the summit, but gotta save that for a visit that does not involve racing an IM.

I had to wait a few days to take pictures as it was raining mid week when we arrived. I will update with pictures from around town later this evening.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 26, 14 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics coming) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit: not sure why some of the picture links are not coming up :-(

Driving into town through Squamish (my son is the photo guy, I am the driver):

Race week banners all over town...a bit wet earlier in the week:

In and around town:

One of the few downhills on Sea to Sky coming BACK from Callaghan:

Saturday in town:

T1 check in

Trip up the mountain starts

Most of the riders here are downhillers

Up Up

Whistler Mountain Summit in the back:

Peak to Peak cable car:

Bike course goes past Green Lake (big green one)...run course loops around Lost lake (blue one to the right)

More Peak to Peak .... don't break the cable car open and base jump

Swim course in Alta Lake down below

Blackcomb Summit with glacier skiing going on on the other side of the Mountain

This micro power generation station delivers enough kilo watt hours of the year to make Whistler an energy neutral resort:

The other Peak on the return journey...Whistler Summit:

The finish line awaits...nice "course preview" from up top. But imagine if there was a triathlon here that was truly sea to sky...Swim in Vancouver, ride up Sea to Sky to Whistler, run to the summit...that would be a lot more cool than "another cookie cutter" 140.6...but thanks to WTC for bringing a race to this venue. I remember watching one of the first ITU Draft Legal World Cup's here in 1994.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 26, 14 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics coming) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the part i cant agree is the swim venue. One of the worst on the ironman series. spectator are not welcome, it s not good for family and most will have to stay in the village to watch on the gian screen. Good on ironman to provide video coverage from the village as they know the swim venue isn't great.

Other than that... amazing village for the family, beautifull scenery! The hwy is a little busy for my liking...a little dangerous to ride in training but on race day.... it s close and nice!

should be a spectacular race tomorrow

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics coming) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
the part i cant agree is the swim venue. One of the worst on the ironman series. spectator are not welcome, it s not good for family and most will have to stay in the village to watch on the gian screen. Good on ironman to provide video coverage from the village as they know the swim venue isn't great.

Other than that... amazing village for the family, beautifull scenery! The hwy is a little busy for my liking...a little dangerous to ride in training but on race day.... it s close and nice!

should be a spectacular race tomorrow

I agree with you about viewing the swim. I was mainly speaking from an athlete perspective. I generally tell my family to sleep in, have a late brunch, and then check in at the end of the bike to make sure I came back safely and then go off and do something the rest of the day for 4 more hours while I get myself around the run course (I'd like to make it under 4, but that is not going on lately).

Also I agree on riding on Sea to Sky on a regular day. Same problem on the 117 at Tremblant. Race day is another story. Let me see if I can upload some of the other pictures from today.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by devashish_paul [ In reply to ]
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran into beautiful black bear on lost lake loop Friday. 10 feet away. I've learned they are really harmless if you just stay aware and do not do any sudden movements. He was gorgeous!

This venue is stunning. My first time here. I would post photos of swim start but no idea how from my iPad,

Good luck tomorrow.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We saw a pretty big black bear up close yesterday too. Huge, beautiful animal. My girlfriend and I were walking near the village, and there was another guy walking towards us maybe 30 ft in front of us. All of a sudden he stops and raises both his hands in the air without saying anything, jesturing at us to stop. We take a second to realize he is motioning at us, and right then this big black bear just saunters across the path between us. My girlfriend and I stood there STUNNED with eyes wide opened and slack jaws while as soon as the bear crossed the other dude kept on walking like he had seen that a million times before and gave us a polite nod and smile. My girlfriend said "well, I can cross 'seeing a bear' of my list of things to do in whistler". Pretty wild stuff!

Now off to catch the bus to T1!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Ran into beautiful black bear on lost lake loop Friday. 10 feet away. I've learned they are really harmless if you just stay aware and do not do any sudden movements. He was gorgeous!

This venue is stunning. My first time here. I would post photos of swim start but no idea how from my iPad,

Good luck tomorrow.

we saw one hanging out in the middle of the mountain bike park yesterday as he took the gondola down from the Whistler side. The little guy seemed oblivious to all the mountain bike traffic. Better get myself over T1 to catch the bus now!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you took the family on the gondola ride, my wife still talks about it from last year, and I really thought it was a great venue for the family
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Any recommendations for which hotel/resorts to stay at if I make the trip up for Ironman Whistler next year?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
Dev,

Any recommendations for which hotel/resorts to stay at if I make the trip up for Ironman Whistler next year?

Not Dev, but I may head back up, did it last year. Stayed at the Fairmont which was actually not all that expensive (more than a condo), and was well situated close enough to walk everywhere, run goes right by it, and removed from the bustle of the village (which can get loud)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Hilton in 2013 and the Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre this year. Both nice but I liked the PPWVC better.

The PPWVC is probably two minute walk to T2 and the finish line.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed at the Delta Suites and have a reservation there for next year. Not cheap, but worth it. It's our big family vacation so I don't mind spending. When I race solo, I'd rather stay ultra cheap. Very convenient to all race amenties...then again everything in Whistler Village is in walking distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree that the Fairmont is pretty awesome (especially the all you can eat BBQ the Thursday before the race) if its your first time and you are bringing family you really should stay in the Village. If I go back I may stay at the Faimont, but I'm gald we stayed in the Village (Pan Pacific Mountainside) for the first go around.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just me and the wife. Village was close enough and we didn't need any more entertainment

Surprisingly there are a lot of "sold out" returns in searches. May look at a condo this time,

ETA - I find it hard to distinguish a property less than 10 minutes away as not being "in" the village, but then again I live in L.A. where every trip takes at least 30 minutes....
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 17, 14 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Fairmont area is "Upper Village" and not "Whistler Village."

Not far away at all but it's still a distinctly different section.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dredging this up again...

So I went for it. Signed myself up for IM Canada (Whistler) ten years after I took my first shot at IM Canada; 2005 in Penticton was a blast although I almost shit myself on the decent from Yellow Lake when I had my first ever intorduction to speed wobble at about 45 mph. Looking forward to it. Any other commentary about the course would be greatly appreicated. The next thing I need to nail down is a plan for the vacation. I plan on flying in to Vancouver and then???

Current thought was to fly in Wednesday or Thursday and head up to Whistler on Thursday. Is Vancouver worth a day or two on the outbound trip? Should I rent a car or is there some sort of shuttle setup that would work well for a Whistler transfer with a bike in tow???

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you can re-post the pics? The links don't work anymore. I'm signed up for '15 as well. Hopefully Penticton will still be around in '16 - that's on my to-do list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
dredging this up again...

So I went for it. Signed myself up for IM Canada (Whistler) ten years after I took my first shot at IM Canada; 2005 in Penticton was a blast although I almost shit myself on the decent from Yellow Lake when I had my first ever intorduction to speed wobble at about 45 mph. Looking forward to it. Any other commentary about the course would be greatly appreicated. The next thing I need to nail down is a plan for the vacation. I plan on flying in to Vancouver and then???

Current thought was to fly in Wednesday or Thursday and head up to Whistler on Thursday. Is Vancouver worth a day or two on the outbound trip? Should I rent a car or is there some sort of shuttle setup that would work well for a Whistler transfer with a bike in tow???

Are you on your own or with family?
There are buses to whistler from vancouver. Once at whistler you don't need a car unless you want to preview the bike course.
Vancouver is a pretty nice city and is probably worth a day or two....its a walkable city so I might put it after the race rather than before.
Check out pacific coast lines re bus from airport....there is also a train.

I just did IMAz......whistler is sooooo much better. I will likely do it in 2015 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only issue with the train is that it leaves from North Van and is more of a tourist train (200-300$)

The bus from the airport is the way to go if you don't want to rent a car.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolling solo for IM Canada. As far as a previe of the bike course, it would be nice but I think I can live without it. Maybe that is a question for the folks in the know, anything about the bike course that screams I should see it first? Not looking to KQ or anything like that, just have a solid race for me; i.e. somewhere in the 5:40-6:00 bike split depending on the relative difficulty of the course (2:35 at boulder 70.3 for comparison). Then drop a 4:XX something marathon and feel like I raced smart when it is all said and done.

I will look into the bus idea. And think about adding a day or so after in Vancouver prior to flying back to reality and work.

Thanks for the comments.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the bus thing and the car, my only issue with riding the bus from the airport is that it feels like the trip takes drastically longer than in a car because of all the stops that are made in Vancouver. The other pro to having the car is that there are so many awesome turn off points along the sea to sky highway that you miss if you're on the bus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 2013, we rented a car primarily because we were going to be extending our trip into the interior after the race. I am thinking of going again in 2015 and have a hotel at least, will also be solo I believe. There are a couple of cool places to stop n the way, including the views - Shannon Falls is cool, The Chief rockface. But not absolute must dos IMO.

You definitely don't need a car in the village (unless you are staying somewhere further, Creekside?).

But I found last year, and in looking at cars for next year, the prices to rent in North Vancouver (http://locations.avis.com/...ancouver/v1r.html?en) were significantly less than at YVR. You take the airport train to the seabus across the harbor, walk two blocks. I just looked again for the Fri- Mon, YVR is 185, North Van is 70, same car.

If you do rent a car and the hotel charges for parking, park in the big lot, you can get a 30 day pass in the big lots for $30. Depending on the hotel, that's definitely cheaper than 3-4 nights.

As far as previewing the course, we drove up the Callaghan on the way in, intended to go down to Pemberton but never did. Probably better, as the drive down would have freaked me out, I always think hills are steeper in cares, and don't feel as bad on the bike.

Car would also get you to Mile 1 burgers in Pemberton for the best post race hamburger around :)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 21, 14 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: IM Whistler...venue preview/thoughts (pics posted) [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it this past August. I thought pretty highly of the course although the last 20 miles of the bike are a grind. That section is also exposed and gets warm, so make sure your drinks are topped off at the last aid station.

I don't remember what mile, but we had a bear edging in on the run course. Volunteers were directing us off the path up to the road, so we had to climb a small rock wall. Keeps it interesting I guess :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Vancouver and raced Whistler in 2013. Racing it again this summer. I have trained and raced on the course, and we frequent Whistler, so if you have any questions, ask away!

Vancouver is absolutely worth a visit IMO, even if it is just to get your bearings before the race. To get to Whistler, I would recommend either taking the bus from the airport (I think it is called Pacific Coach or something like that...at any rate, google can help you with that) or combining the bus with a one-way car rental.

Depending on where you are staying in Whistler, you may have to pay for parking so that is an added cost of a car. However, if you are only arriving a few days before the race, the benefit of a car is that you can drive the course beforehand. I highly recommend it. The bike course has some "interesting" sections in it - absolutely stunning, but definitely challenging. You will want to understand it before you race it - particularly the section to Pemberton.
Quote Reply

Prev Next