Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM WC Nice what wheels are the best
Quote | Reply
Genuine question to ask this through the ascending/deacending of wc course. I have a flo as65 front and premier disc rear. I also have 303 from gravel bike that i could run which work well with 28 tires. What would you do- 303, flo front 303 rear or flo/ disc. My main conern is that descending with the disc is totally different than other wheels and nice is quite a technical descent. I am 83kg and can tame a disc quite well. Would u buy a 60-80 in the rear( how worth it would it be?) ? Traveling with a disc isnt that fun( assuming u need to bring extra wheel). Typical IM under 5 hrs 300 ftp . What are people doing for this race?
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC Nice what wheels are the best [transgress4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll go 80/80, with 25mm front and 28mm rear tubeless tires.

I don’t have a disc, but if I had, I’d use it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM WC Nice what wheels are the best [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
I’ll go 80/80, with 25mm front and 28mm rear tubeless tires.

I don’t have a disc, but if I had, I’d use it.

Many of the fast guys in 2019 were using a disc and back then more rim brakes and course may be steeper on average in the 70.3 than the full. Those doing both Lahti and Nice maybe will tend to use disc (guessing) if they have it.

Personally I'd make sure u have a set up with good brakes, that's quite useful on the narrow French terrain. E.g. Hed or alloy rim rimbrake track. Or disk brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode Nice WC 70.3 a few years ago on my TT bike with 90/disc. I was in the minority, but I was fine. I have solid bike handling skills.

If I had it to do again, I would definitely ride a road bike with extensions. Both the climb and descent would have been faster. Otherwise, I would probably ride the same wheel combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having raced there in the past, I'd say that a disc is doable, but less fun on a rim brake setup. The weight & rotating inertia will make it harder to brake into some of the tight corners on the descents then accelerate out of them.

If I were on disc brakes, I'd be tempted to run a disc at the back, but I'm not, so I'll be on a deep section rear. Front will depend on the weather forecast on raceday as a decent chunk of riding will catch coastal winds.

So my advice would be pick your front wheel to suit wind conditions, then a deep section spoked wheel on the back. Unless of course you're racing M40-44 in which case the usual recommendation of alloy box rims with Gatorskins applies 😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will use Zipp 404 - 404 tubeless wheels
Quote Reply