Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Texas Swim Snakes
Quote | Reply
Have folks seen these pictures and videos of snakes in and around the swim course at IM Texas. They seem to be all over Facebook. Hard to know if they are real or not, but it’s a bit unnerving—though not all that surprising I guess… you could not see much in that water, but good to know we weren’t alone :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Swim Snakes [trildog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not seen the video but I can tell you I see snakes both in the lake and on the shore probably 3-4 times per week. I live about 2 blocks from the swim start and walk my dog around the lake just about every morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trildog wrote:
Have folks seen these pictures and videos of snakes in and around the swim course at IM Texas. They seem to be all over Facebook. Hard to know if they are real or not, but it’s a bit unnerving—though not all that surprising I guess… you could not see much in that water, but good to know we weren’t alone :)

Lots of the type of snakes in these lakes are not poisonous but I know that doesn’t help much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t seen the pictures but they’re probably non venomous water snakes. I live in Georgia and race primarily in Florida. We have snakes and alligators (and sharks) at races. I caught a banded water snake in the middle of the crowd of swimmers at a local sprint in South Georgia several years ago. It was slithering around the water’s edge right as we were about to start. I noticed the crowd splitting and there was this little snake trying to get on its way. That was a fun start to the race.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trildog wrote:
IM Texas Swim Snakes. Have folks seen these pictures and videos of snakes in and around the swim course at IM Texas. They seem to be all over Facebook.

Do you have a link? I searched Facebook and elsewhere for IM Texas Swim Snakes and got nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Ironman cutting back on so much of what they used to provide to athletes, it's comforting to see they're providing something new.

I'm hoping for snakes at all their races.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Swim Snakes [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video is in IM Texas Facebook group so link does not work. Will try to post later if I can figure out how… not working from my phone.
Last edited by: trildog: Apr 26, 23 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trildog wrote:

Wait until you learn what else lives in our lakes and bayous...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Swim Snakes [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
trildog wrote:

Yeah, I was about to say those are nonvenomous water snakes 99.9% of the time and bolt away at the sight of you. Even a venomous cottonmouth still wants to get away from you fast. There are freakin' alligators and snapping turtles in East Texas lakes. Snakes are the least of your problems.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good argument for duathlon.....;)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Swim Snakes [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:
I haven’t seen the pictures but they’re probably non venomous water snakes. I live in Georgia and race primarily in Florida. We have snakes and alligators (and sharks) at races. I caught a banded water snake in the middle of the crowd of swimmers at a local sprint in South Georgia several years ago. It was slithering around the water’s edge right as we were about to start. I noticed the crowd splitting and there was this little snake trying to get on its way. That was a fun start to the race.

RP

Similar thing happened at the start of the IM Raleigh 70.3 in one of the early years..............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Swim Snakes [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what I saw. I'm from FL so not exactly surprised, but still... :) Seems this was on far end up swim course by the red turn buoys.
Last edited by: trildog: Apr 26, 23 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2011, the lead pro was towed into the swim exit by a snake. Not at all shocked by this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non venomous water snakes
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Swim Snakes [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Th4ddy wrote:
trildog wrote:

Yeah, I was about to say those are nonvenomous water snakes 99.9% of the time and bolt away at the sight of you. Even a venomous cottonmouth still wants to get away from you fast. There are freakin' alligators and snapping turtles in East Texas lakes. Snakes are the least of your problems.

I used to hear about the snakes in IM Wisconson but still not sure if that is myth or truth.

We have snapping turtles in our lakes and ponds. One woman in my open water swim group waits for most of us to start swimming first to scare off the snapping turtles. And I did swim over a very large on once in a near by reservoir. It was a biggie but just hanging out, not bothering anyone. I was close to an island shore and could see it on the bottom.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply