Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM South Africa race day
Quote | Reply
well, it's race day. some interesting things happening so far:

-ali brownlee is a DNS; presumably still recovering from whatever happened in singapore. horseau also hasn't started.
-cam wurf only loses 2 minutes to amberger in the swim!
-wurf not riding away from the field yet, though, and after an early move is actually sat second closely behind svenningsson at 130km
-harry palmer having a good day currently in 4th, after solid swim and early bike

on the women's draw:
-ryf had a middling swim, coming out of the water 3rd at +4 minutes.
-but then she's been losing time since, and sits a 7 minutes at 100km into the bike, 7th place and riding slower than the rest of the top 10.
-is this just off-day ryf? or is she waiting to pounce later in the bike? she'd feel OK about outrunning most of these girls, but not from a huge deficit.

with 4x kona slots each for males and females i'm a little surprised more athletes didn't show up. could be a good opportunity, with relatively simple travel from europe.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Wurf is riding away from the normal field - he has 5 minutes to the closest chaser. It is just Svenningsson back to his old form. He is at about the same pace as Wurf last year where they had a minimal swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryf only needs to validate. So probably if she wasn’t feeling 100% to fight for the win, she chose plan B to execute a very solid training day (but not dig herself a huge hole).

Btw. it’s not an easy travel from Europe. Zurich - Cape Town flight takes 11h, and it’s still far away from Port Elisabeth. What works well is the lack of time change (+/- 2h). RSA isn’t the safest place to train nowadays, so you wouldn’t plan a long training camp/stay there either.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
Ryf only needs to validate. So probably if she wasn’t feeling 100% to fight for the win, she chose plan B to execute a very solid training day (but not dig herself a huge hole).

Btw. it’s not an easy travel from Europe. Zurich - Cape Town flight takes 11h, and it’s still far away from Port Elisabeth. What works well is the lack of time change (+/- 2h). RSA isn’t the safest place to train nowadays, so you wouldn’t plan a long training camp/stay there either.

oh, i know - i used to live in south africa. long flight, yes, but internal flight connections in south africa are awesome. and as you mention, no time change. there's also not much acclimatization needed - weather is pretty mild there (especially compared to people flying over for IM texas!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
well, it's race day. some interesting things happening so far:

on the women's . . . :
-ryf had a middling swim, coming out of the water 3rd at +4 minutes.
-but then she's been losing time since, and sits a 7 minutes at 100km into the bike, 7th place and riding slower than the rest of the top 10.
-is this just off-day ryf? or is she waiting to pounce later in the bike? she'd feel OK about outrunning most of these girls, but not from a huge deficit.
with 4x kona slots each for males and females i'm a little surprised more athletes didn't show up. could be a good opportunity, . . .
Does look like a 'completion' objective for Ryf. Which race will be Ryf's 'one performance of the year' for 2024? Nice?!
De Boer (already IMWCQ) and Jansen look like the two runners who could make the time on the leader after T2. Bleymehl has some good marathons (Kona not a favourite venue). She is, I think, coached by Geesmann (also coach of Lange and Matthews) so her running might have stepped up, and she has a good buffer on those behind.
On numbers, I suspect that the IM Pro Series has sucked some of the sub-T100 athletes away from this in favour of Texas, or delaying to Hamurg (WPro) if they think an IM Pro Series top ten result is within reach. Money's good here though, and as you say: IMWCQ slots available (effectively top 6 for the women).
https://www.trirating.com/...april-21st-seedings/
I wonder why Horseau decided not to race: moving house maybe?
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 21, 24 4:09
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf slowly reeling in Svenningsson...................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horseau said he was sick (bronchial infection) and his racing Lanza. He won last year but still, it's amazing that he is not racing the Pro Series given he raced 3 full last year including Embrun (15th August) which he won and Nice less than a month later so he is obviously able to race several races in a year plus he comes from the french Grand Prix so he should be ok at 70.3.
Guilloux will be racing Cairns.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
Wurf slowly reeling in Svenningsson...................

makes the pass! wurf into 1st place at 27k, while palmer has disappeared from the tracker altogether.

petersen and aernouts are running pretty well, so we might still have some drama left in this one.

meanwhile the women's field is starting to tighten up, everyone is drawing together and closer to bleymehl, except ryf (who's running slowest in the top 8 and over 10 minutes back now!)

Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcgiraSHT wrote:
Horseau said he was sick (bronchial infection) and his racing Lanza. He won last year but still, it's amazing that he is not racing the Pro Series given he raced 3 full last year including Embrun (15th August) which he won and Nice less than a month later so he is obviously able to race several races in a year plus he comes from the french Grand Prix so he should be ok at 70.3.
Guilloux will be racing Cairns.
Yes, I thought Horseau would be a front runner for the series. Did I read somewhere that he procrastinated too long and was shut out of an entry to Texas? So he can get a 70.3 in, then Cairns and then Frankfurt. Let's hope he has entered 70.3 Majorca (because the list is shown as 'closed'(Red)).
https://files.constantcontact.com/...a14-689124e00d3a.pdf (21 April)
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ineos Grenadiers into the lead! Finally overhauling Svenningson, as anticipated (gradually gradually catchee monkee).
But himself being chased down by Petersen who looks the most likely winner on current speeds, but it'll be close (depends if either Wurf or Petersen have 'front loaded').
Further back the women's race is still in the balance. Zimmermann is the fastest on course but too far back. Whomever of the top 5 can hold it together better will win (statement of blindingly obvious). They all have similar form as runners (if you exclude hot/humid) so maybe Bleymehl will hold on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and now rasmus re-passes! shame we don't have coverage, this looks like it could make for an interesting watch. (or highlights package, at least?)

meanwhile ryf has slowed right down, and is running 5:18/km. at that rate there's a chance she gets bumped out of the top 10.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sveningsson wins! petersen home in second, after clawing back wurf in the last few kms with a solid 2:43 marathon. that's a great performance on what is typically a slower course. times from IM SA usually feel more like the old days!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive race by Cam. I'm a big fan so happy he got his Kona spot.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleymehl has stopped/paused somewhere. Zimmermann chance of podium if she can continue to catch De Boer (great name for a race in S Africa).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
and now rasmus re-passes! shame we don't have coverage, this looks like it could make for an interesting watch. (or highlights package, at least?)

meanwhile ryf has slowed right down, and is running 5:18/km. at that rate there's a chance she gets bumped out of the top 10.

I think on validation it also has to be viewed by Ironman as a solid effort. If she blows up fine she validates if she sandbags like Pete Jacobs in Zurich circa 2013 Ironman can choose to not count it
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
I think on validation it also has to be viewed by Ironman as a solid effort. If she blows up fine she validates if she sandbags like Pete Jacobs in Zurich circa 2013 Ironman can choose to not count it
You're just humble-flaunting your vast experience. Like Ironman are going to say to Ryf 'Sorry, luv, you didn't tri hard enough! Race another IM if you wish to race Nice and your last IMWC ever!'. The adjective used is "competitively". She finished #8 of the 17 on the start list.

“Validation Race” means racing competitively (as determined by IRONMAN in IRONMAN’s sole discretion) and
finishing at least one (1) IRONMAN OR two (2) IRONMAN 70.3 events that offers Pro qualifying slots during the 2024 IRONMAN Qualifying Year (period ending August 19, 2024, for IRONMAN events and period ending June 30, 2024, for IRONMAN 70.3 events).
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/...ation_Validation.pdf
What happened to Bleymehl?? Going well for 18 miles; then . . . .Sanchez, Diederiks, Zimmermann and Cheetham get the four IMWCQ on offer.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 21, 24 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stoked for Cam getting his Kona slot.

Bummed for Harry Palmer. Per IG it was a fueling/GI issue so maybe he just needs to down the Saturday app.

Dev, you're crazy if you think IM is going tell Ryf she wasn't competitive enough today. If it was someone else, maybe, but definitely not for the GOAT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
You're just humble-flaunting your vast experience. Like Ironman are going to say to Ryf 'Sorry, luv, you didn't tri hard enough! Race another IM if you wish to race Nice and your last IMWC ever!'. The adjective used is "competitively". She finished #8 of the 17 on the start list.

“Validation Race” means racing competitively (as determined by IRONMAN in IRONMAN’s sole discretion) and
finishing at least one (1) IRONMAN OR two (2) IRONMAN 70.3 events that offers Pro qualifying slots during the 2024 IRONMAN Qualifying Year (period ending August 19, 2024, for IRONMAN events and period ending June 30, 2024, for IRONMAN 70.3 events).
What happened to Bleymehl?? Going well for 18 miles; then . . . .Sanchez, Diederiks, Zimmermann and Cheetham get the four IMWCQ on offer.

I'd just like to point out that the women's winner, Marta Sanchez, was the first woman out of the water in 52:18 and 16th overall OOTW. She was 7:07 ahead of Diede Diederiks (DD) OOTW and finished 2:16 ahead of DD, so she more or less won it on the swim. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
I'd just like to point out that the women's winner, Marta Sanchez, was the first woman out of the water in 52:18 and 16th overall OOTW. She was 7:07 ahead of Diede Diederiks (DD) OOTW and finished 2:16 ahead of DD, so she more or less won it on the swim. :)
I'd like to point out that that's the second win by a 'Marta' this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

OK, so who is the other "Marta"???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Stoked for Cam getting his Kona slot.

Bummed for Harry Palmer. Per IG it was a fueling/GI issue so maybe he just needs to down the Saturday app.

Dev, you're crazy if you think IM is going tell Ryf she wasn't competitive enough today. If it was someone else, maybe, but definitely not for the GOAT.

Seems to be an ongoing issue for Harry. He’s going to have to figure that out quickly if he wants to keep doing fulls.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

I was mainly responding to comments up in this thread where someone was saying it was a training day for her and later in the thread it was posted that she was slowing down and running at 5:18. As I was not watching have no clue if she was 'throwing the race' or just generally having a tough day
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think it's fair to say that Ryf's SBR today was 'measured' and she ran 3:27, averaging just under 5mpkm.
Ryf has, these last few years, had just one supreme race annually.
Last year it was extraordinary Roth. In 2022 it was the dominant 2021 IMWC. In 2021 it was probably 70.3 St George.
I guess she'd like to blow out with a great race in September, and who would bet against her? She doesn't need to expend emotional, competitive energy on a validation race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM South Africa race day [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

OK, so who is the other "Marta"???

Marta Lagownik from Poland, who broke the tape at Challenge Gran Canaria.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that she seems to have only 1 super crazy race this year but todays result should be concerning. Someone of her caliber should be able to “take it easy” and still do much better than today went against that level of competition. Maybe she is showing her years? Miami went well for her so I doubt it’s an injury thing. I guess it feels similar to Laura Philip at Valencia. Even if it was an easy day I would assume she would be more competitive against a field of that caliber.

I do think Laura was injured over the winter and just didn’t say anything. Would have made more sense to get a 70.3 in earlier if you are just using them to validate and aren’t doing any of the pro series ones. Now her season is super condensed with all 6 pto races and Roth and another 70.3 and nice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next