Quote | Reply
Sad scene there
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The north side of the city was hit really hard. Last I saw was 1500 structures and 10 lives lost. Very sad.
Old round red barn and the Hilton next to it are also gone.
Hoping the winds die down quickly.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is only one of 12 fires in the Sonoma Napa valley that mysteriously started yesterday when winds were 50-70mph. There is massive fire by Calistoga and one by Napa as well. All in total nearly 100k acres right now and no containment all in 24hrs. It's devastating. Have many friends who have evacuated, and several who have lost their homes.

Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was no lightening in the area at all. I have to wonder how many of these 12 fires started from cigarettes and whether the full cost of these awful things on our society are realized by everyone.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
There was no lightening in the area at all. I have to wonder how many of these 12 fires started from cigarettes and whether the full cost of these awful things on our society are realized by everyone.

Arson is not off the table yet, as there was plenty of heads-up warnings about the "fire weather".

I was down on the Mid Peninsula on business today and this morning could smell smoke from fire stepping out the door.....first thought was it was just the remnants from the junkyard fire in Oakland Sunday.

Now there are reports of Looting in the area...just horrible all around.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife's sister lives in Occidental and she believes that the fire was started by an electrical power line problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible. By far my wife and I find this to be our favorite vacation spot. I feel like I k ow so many of these people now. Terrible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winds died down up by you yet? Yesterday was insane down here. I was just hoping no one carelessly tossed a butt out a car window with the way the Santa Anas were blowing. Not at all surprised to see a fire whip up down in Santa Ana / North Orange County. 50mph winds and less than 10% humidity is just a recipe for disaster...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are much lower this morning and anticipated at only 15mph today. Yesterday they were still ripping in afternoon. Wind shifted though so now it's moving in different directions, and still 0% containment.

Quote | Reply
Hoping for the best for you all. I was feeling a little sorry for myself about the clean up in my backyard until i saw the news about the fires. Provided some real perspective right quick...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't live in Napa but just bit to South. Lots of good people from this community up there and I ride up there almost weekly during summer so it's devasting. Eric Gilsenan is off in Kona so not sure if he knows status of his house

Quote | Reply
My buddy in Mill Valley said it is quite smoky there now, all sports cancelled and PE in the schools there.

And now there are fires just about 10 miles as the crow flies from us down here in Orange County. So far favorable winds for me, but of course got to be bad for someone else. Lots of homes burning in Anaheim and surrounding area, roads closed all over the place, and gridlock traffic pops up every time they have to close a major artery that leads towards the fire.

Very foggy this morning so good news, now we could use some of that rain from last year right about now..
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave L alright?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know who is good and not right now, so many ST'ers are in the path of both these big fires north and south, hoping for the best...

And thinking about what I need to put into a car quickly just in case..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys ... from Santa Rosa

It is hard to describe what is going on in our community currently. In short the fire ripped up over the hill from Calistoga into our town in a matter of minutes (<30) with the strong winds from the East / North (and jumped highway 101) ... many had zero time to do anything other than jump in a police car and leave, or if fortunate jump in their own car and leave.

I feel very fortunate that we are on the edge of evac area to the SW and all we need to do is have a bag packed and be ready to leave if something changes, BUT we are safe. Unfortunately I have friends, athletes, clients, and colleagues that have lost homes. It will take some or assess what has happened and is currently happening.

We are not out of the woods yet but weather is more favorable currently containing and fighting fires

Cheers,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ex gf moved out there...

Sorry, but I am going to have to pray to many gods that the entire place burns to the ground
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw that Levi lost his house to the fire.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

Sorry, but I am going to have to pray to many gods that the entire place burns to the ground

Brilliant
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

I think you just told us why she left......

Anyway.

Forests have burned in a sort of checkerboard pattern for millions of years. Long before people walked the Earth, about 1% of the total forested area would burn every summer. Or in other words, any one given area would burn on average about once every 100 years.

Then in our ignorance and arrogance, we came along and did two things. First we built dwellings too close to the forests. And two, we started putting out forest fires. That simply causes more and more fire material to accumulate and when it inevitably catches fire it causes much much worse forest fires.

We mean well and eventually we always do the right thing... but only after we try everything else first.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:

I think you just told us why she left......

Anyway.

Forests have burned in a sort of checkerboard pattern for millions of years. Long before people walked the Earth, about 1% of the total forested area would burn every summer. Or in other words, any one given area would burn on average about once every 100 years.

Then in our ignorance and arrogance, we came along and did two things. First we built dwellings too close to the forests. And two, we started putting out forest fires. That simply causes more and more fire material to accumulate and when it inevitably catches fire it causes much much worse forest fires.

We mean well and eventually we always do the right thing... but only after we try everything else first.

^ I am an alcoholic, I like larger women, I am a member of slow twitch, I curse like a sailor, and mainly it is because I am a slow triathlete, I don't own a cervelo, Im hung like a field mouse, and Im balding at 29... Dilbert, there are lots of reasons haha
Last edited by: ou8acracker2: Oct 10, 17 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn. My friends house near Coffey Lane burnt down. Stayed there a bunch of times. They have a 2 year old and had less than 15 mins to get the hell out once the police came ordering to evacuate.

Lots of older people/retirees in that area. I am sure that lots of them just had no ability to get out at the drop of a dime. Very sad.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an uncle who had his house burn to the ground in the Oakland fires. What I learned out of that is all this material crap we buy, fight for, etc. is worth nothing!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
My buddy in Mill Valley said it is quite smoky there now, all sports cancelled and PE in the schools there.

And now there are fires just about 10 miles as the crow flies from us down here in Orange County. So far favorable winds for me, but of course got to be bad for someone else. Lots of homes burning in Anaheim and surrounding area, roads closed all over the place, and gridlock traffic pops up every time they have to close a major artery that leads towards the fire.

Very foggy this morning so good news, now we could use some of that rain from last year right about now..
Fortunately I live at the other end of Anaheim, though I do have friends that are evacuated and the school district I work for cancelled school today, as there were a lot of people affected by evacuations in the North Tustin & Cowan Heights areas covered by the district.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa fires [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
My wife's sister lives in Occidental and she believes that the fire was started by an electrical power line problem.

Yep, looks like arson by PG&E.

Quote Reply

Prev Next