Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Raleigh 70.3
Quote | Reply
Ok, so like a jackass I signed up for Raliegh 70.3 this year.
Probably because half my team is racing it too.

So, what's the deal with the point to point transitions ? I get bike check the day before, but is that a 56 mile drive the day before ?

It's probably going to be hot. Like humid hot. I did eagleman a couple of years ago and that was like strapping a wet mattress to my back.

Is the race hilly at all or flat flat ?
What else do I need to know ?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Louamerica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You park at T2/Finish and take a bus to Swim Start/T1 (like most any split transition race)

I did Raleigh 2014 and Eagleman 2015. Eagleman was hotter.

Bike has some hills, more in the last 20 miles. Run also has some hills, basically you climb as you go out to the far turnaround (2 loop).

Neither are overly hilly, but compared to Eagleman, it will seem pretty hilly.

Check out Tyler's Taproom post race. That's about it.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it is not a 56 mile drive (or bus ride). It is more like 25-30 miles. But, like mentioned earlier, take the bus. I've done the race all 3 years (and I'm signed up again for this year) and they have the logistics all worked out. Follow the instructions and don't go rogue and it will go smoothly.

The bike is not flat, but its not overly hilly either. Just don't go out too hard at the beginning of the bike. You will be flying for the first 30 miles, but it feels like someone flips a switch and all the hills are in the 2nd half of the ride.

The run is mostly flat but slightly up hill on the way out and downhill on the way back (do it twice - 2 loop run course). The worst part of this run is that there is virtually no shade.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've signed up for the 4th year in a row!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recon.
Hills at the second half of the bike, no shade on the run.

See you all there ! Maybe we can do a ST meetup on Saturday or something..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Raleigh for the first time this year since it's the first year it's the weekend after my kid is out of school and not the weekend before. In-laws live there and all that so no way I could go there without wife and son in years past.

I lived in Raleigh from 1993-2004 and I love the place. Would love to move back. Can't wait to race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Same here. I'm signing up for year 4.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smoom wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Same here. I'm signing up for year 4.

I missed the first year while I was living in Boston. But, headed back for my 3rd time in 2016. I'm focused on marathon training until mid April, so it will be fun to see how much tri-fitness I can get by race day.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New to NC, just moved in October. I'm signed up too. How does the course compare to Rev3 Quassy, IMLP, or IMMT; which are the only other long course events I've done in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [caffeinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My times at Raleigh and Tremblant last year were about 30 seconds apart. I think there was about three weeks between so fitness was about the same. Slightly faster swim in Tremblant. Slightly faster bike in Raleigh. Run was about the same.

Quote | Reply
BTW, here's a link to my race report from last year if it's helpful. I didn't know it when I wrote the report but the swim was long.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=532691
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louamerica wrote:

Maybe we can do a ST meetup on Saturday or something..

Always a good idea!!! We did this in 2014 (I think) at the Crank Arm Brewery. I have a picture of the group but I can't find it right now (I think it may be on my old laptop).

Don't remember who all was there but it was me, Wild Daisy, The Chrome Dome & pro Mike Caiazzo for sure (Mike finished 9th overall in that race!!!)

Last edited by: japarker24: Jan 14, 16 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Louamerica wrote:

Maybe we can do a ST meetup on Saturday or something..

Always a good idea!!! We did this in 2014 (I think) at the Crank Arm Brewery. I have a picture of the group but I can't find it right now (I think it may be on my old laptop).

Don't remember who all was there but it was me, Wild Daisy, The Chrome Dome & pro Mike Caiazzo for sure (Mike finished 9th overall in that race!!!)

I was there too!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the host hotel, which is 20 feet from the finish line. It was great to cross the finish line and go up for a quick shower and change of cloths and then come back down to enjoy the food and festivities. It also made it a lot easier to get the bus race morning, and sinceT2 was also about 100 yards fomr the hotel/finish line it made picking up my bike/equipment and getting it back to my room really easy. If you can swing the host hotel it's worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
I stayed at the host hotel, which is 20 feet from the finish line. It was great to cross the finish line and go up for a quick shower and change of cloths and then come back down to enjoy the food and festivities. It also made it a lot easier to get the bus race morning, and sinceT2 was also about 100 yards fomr the hotel/finish line it made picking up my bike/equipment and getting it back to my room really easy. If you can swing the host hotel it's worth it.

Host Hotel (Marriott) & the Sheraton are basically side by side, so you get these benefits at either hotel. The Sheraton is usually about $20/night cheaper, but you don't have a refrigerator in the room. I find it kind of annoying but I've managed to deal with it all 3 years so far.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just signed up. Debated, but pulled the trigger today. I'm assuming without looking it up that it is NOT a wetsuit swim?

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTPATE wrote:
I just signed up. Debated, but pulled the trigger today. I'm assuming without looking it up that it is NOT a wetsuit swim?

2 years it was wetsuit legal and last year it was not. It's always right on the borderline which causes a lot of speculation and anxiety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting your race report, some good insight.

Curious if you know if the race usually sells out? I am moving to NC from New England and should be down there by Mar/Apr. I want to sign up once I have a better idea of my living situation and my training schedule, but dont want to miss out. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
You park at T2/Finish and take a bus to Swim Start/T1 (like most any split transition race)

I did Raleigh 2014 and Eagleman 2015. Eagleman was hotter.

Bike has some hills, more in the last 20 miles. Run also has some hills, basically you climb as you go out to the far turnaround (2 loop).

Neither are overly hilly, but compared to Eagleman, it will seem pretty hilly.

Check out Tyler's Taproom post race. That's about it.

Just a heads up Tyler's in Raleigh closed but there are plenty of other places downtown to grab a beer. Flying Saucer, Trophy Brewing, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Trophy has pretty decent pizza as well.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 14, 16 21:17
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pauljra wrote:

Curious if you know if the race usually sells out? I am moving to NC from New England and should be down there by Mar/Apr. I want to sign up once I have a better idea of my living situation and my training schedule, but dont want to miss out. Thanks.

2013 (The Inaugural Year): The race sold out during the "Early Bird" price period (less than 2 weeks, IIRC)
2014: The race sold out, but not quite as fast
2015: If the race sold out, it was much closer to race date

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
pauljra wrote:

2013 (The Inaugural Year): The race sold out during the "Early Bird" price period (less than 2 weeks, IIRC)
2014: The race sold out, but not quite as fast
2015: If the race sold out, it was much closer to race date

Thanks for responding. I actually never paid attention so didn't know.

Anyone have scoop on whether the bike course will change? The map on the site shows the same route as last year. Would be nice to get rid of that U turn. Some dude almost took me out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have scoop on whether the bike course will change? The map on the site shows the same route as last year. Would be nice to get rid of that U turn. Some dude almost took me out there.

I have no inside scoop, but I'll offer this perspective:

On paper, the new bike course looks terrible. I was a very vocal opponent of the changes leading up to the race last year. It **looks** slower than the original course, especially given the 180 degree turn early in the bike.

After the race, last year, I have really changed my mind. I actually had the fastest bike of all three years I've done the race and was being very conservative because I was lacking in fitness last year, especially compared to 2013. I did set myself up for the turn around though. Knowing it was coming up, I got myself into a position where I had lots of room in front of and behind me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

I have no inside scoop, but I'll offer this perspective:

On paper, the new bike course looks terrible. I was a very vocal opponent of the changes leading up to the race last year. It **looks** slower than the original course, especially given the 180 degree turn early in the bike.

After the race, last year, I have really changed my mind. I actually had the fastest bike of all three years I've done the race and was being very conservative because I was lacking in fitness last year, especially compared to 2013. I did set myself up for the turn around though. Knowing it was coming up, I got myself into a position where I had lots of room in front of and behind me.

Yeah I was actually fine with the changes outside of the U turn. And the rough surface on that one new road in Holly Springs but that wasn't a big of a deal. Not to be a wet blanket though but I actually think we benefited from a slight tailwind last year while we had a slight headwind in 2013. I too had a significantly faster ride in 14 compared to 13 and I actually attribute it more to the wind than the route.
Quote Reply

Prev Next