Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were not allowed to do it last year

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a list of times for race meetings? Just looked through the athlete email and didn't see that listed!

Just want to make sure I understand this two transition stuff and the three bags they gave us.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the athlete guide on the website.

Morning clothes bag - put your clothes you wear to the swim start (jacket, t-shirt, shorts, etc) in the bag just before swim start.

Bike bag- you must put your wetsuit and goggles in that bag when you are in t1 after the swim. If you don't put it in the bag, you may not get your stuff back.

Run bag- run shoes, race belt, nutrition, or anything you want in t2 goes in here.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions for place to have a decent dinner and lunch within walking distance of the Marriott? We have a 16 month old baby and a 15 year old daughter.

Ate at the rye place at the hotel last night just for the convenience. The sweet potato waffle fries were great, burger meh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Pit BBQ for a nice dinner. I describe it as upscale down home southern cookin'.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Pit is great!

You might want to try Chuck's or Joule. The are both Ashley Christensen restaurants and she's a James Beard winner or nominee or some such.

http://ac-restaurants.com/chucks
http://ac-restaurants.com/joule/

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy just said the water was 81
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the Atheletes Meeting. You can start with your shoes clipped in.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendation.

If I ever do Raleigh 70.3 again, don't think I'll be staying at the Mariott. First room ac didn't work so they had to move us to another room. Get to the second room TV doesn't work, they have to call technician up to the room to fix it, get out the iron this morning to press off my clothes and put water in it and the iron was broken /cracked and water spilled out all over the place.

This place is falling apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My team did a Air BnB .. And got a house around the corner from finish.
I wasn't able to make it this year and am I'm kinda down that I can't race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny...that Marriott is only about 10 years old!

Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [linkslefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the call on wetsuits is? I heard no. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [skip900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skip900 wrote:
Anyone know what the call on wetsuits is? I heard no. Thanks.

They can't make a final call until official readings are taken tomorrow morning but go ahead and prepare for a non wetsuit swim. At this point, it is highly unlikely that it will be wetsuit legal but the first year of this race is the poster child for "anything is possible"!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume the swim wasn't wetsuit legal but was it also long or was the lake choppy. Swim times were very slow. My brother is racing and he was about 5-6 minutes slower than normal. Pros seemed to be a few minutes slower too.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering the same thing. I saw some pics from the swim exit and it looks like a swimming pool. I guess the course was longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why were you irzoning clothes for a triathlon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Standing on the shore it appears there is current in the lake in the wrong direction along the long segment from turn 1 to turn 2. It was the same case last year. Temp was 81. Water wasn't really choppy.

Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
Why were you irzoning clothes for a triathlon?
just ironing clothes for dinner.

What a suck ass race for me! Terrible swim, ok bike and a terrible hot walk run....lot of walking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non wetsuit & some waves/chop right in our face after the 2 turn when we were heading to the swim finish. Swam 3 minutes slower than last year (also no wetsuit). Finished 15 minutes slower than my goal. The run took it out of me. Thank goodness we had lots of cloud cover.... That run could have been even worse with a blazing sun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough swim, hot run. Bike was fast. Tailwinds for days.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too many damn hills on the bike. There was a really steep downhill somewhere around mile 30, seemed like the steepest of the day. When I got to the bottom going well over 40, I saw three bikes on the side, one looked like a crash, guy rolling around on the side of the road looked like he was hurting bad, others yelling to call paramedics
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was helping out at Mile 4 aid station. 40% of the pro's walked through that and at least, 75% of the age groupers, at least, wouldn't surprised me it it was closer to 85%.

Some of it was a training issue, clearly many, many under trained folks, some of it was the conditions.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

I agree with the undertrained observation. Guilty as charged. I only started tri training a couple of weeks ago. But this is my hometown race, so I'll always try to make it to the line. I also think that the tailwind on the bike leg gave people a false sense of confidence. There seemed to be a lot more shuffling than usual on the run.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Move this race to 1st of May. This race is becoming too predictable. Stupidly hot resulting in sufferfest on run. And I get it, people should train to be ready for the heat.

But I even heard this race for first time didn't sell out. Being here in Raleigh, this was first year I finally felt the excitement of the race was gone for some of the locals. Kinda a feeling of "ehhh" for it being this weekend.

This seemed to be one of IM's underrated gems, I don't know if still is or not. Now it's kinda the same ole same ole. 1st weekend of June will never be wetsuit legal, it'll be highs of 89 that will crush people on the run and people will always be poorly trained for it.

And I'm not complaining to make it easier. I think it would be a better experience at earlier date.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
Move this race to 1st of May. This race is becoming too predictable. Stupidly hot resulting in sufferfest on run. And I get it, people should train to be ready for the heat.

But I even heard this race for first time didn't sell out. Being here in Raleigh, this was first year I finally felt the excitement of the race was gone for some of the locals. Kinda a feeling of "ehhh" for it being this weekend.

This seemed to be one of IM's underrated gems, I don't know if still is or not. Now it's kinda the same ole same ole. 1st weekend of June will never be wetsuit legal, it'll be highs of 89 that will crush people on the run and people will always be poorly trained for it.

And I'm not complaining to make it easier. I think it would be a better experience at earlier date.

Second that idea! Since there would be zero traveling for me, I would love to race but I don't do well in the heat so I've never signed up. I know far to well what early June is like in Raleigh. A month earlier and I would be in. That being said, it's the one time a year I go out and spectate and really enjoy that as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next