Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Louamerica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not making it either. Bummed but to much to do with the AZ -> NC move that is happening later this month.
Will be cheering / jeering people on though.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see registration is still open, maybe it's not gonna be a sell out this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Louamerica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have finally come to the realization I will not be ready for the 70.3 this year due to work and other life factors. Considering the crappy weather conditions of my last three major races, it may be a blessing to those participating. Most likely will be a wetsuit swim with a gentle SW wind and cloud cover. I will be at one of the aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's cloudy at this race, I will personally make you All Out's lucky charm.

This race is destined to have 93*, no clouds. Of course it could or couldn't be wetsuit legal. First year it was like 5* warmer than threshold, 16 hours before race and somehow it became wetsuit legal race morning.

I actually skipped going to the swim that day and didn't find out it was wetsuit until talking to Laura Bennett after the race. She was talking about her wetsuit, and I was like "huh, you wore a wetsuit"? Lol that was a good laugh.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp still showing 74 today.

Just looked at the swim times for my age in last years race M 35-39, doesn't look like the times were very fast! I think the first place male in that group had a time of like 34min and some change. Is there a long run to the timing mat after the swim exit?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:

Just looked at the swim times for my age in last years race M 35-39, doesn't look like the times were very fast! I think the first place male in that group had a time of like 34min and some change. Is there a long run to the timing mat after the swim exit?

There is a shot from the 2013 IM Raleigh 70.3 swim finish in my profile pics. Notice how close the swim finish arch & timing mat (with yellow control box) are to the waters edge......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: May 16, 16 18:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's right after the swim. 33-34 min just seems a bit slow for FOP swimmers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If water is that warm after the last few days of this "chill", I cant see it being wetsuit legal now.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
If water is that warm after the last few days of this "chill", I cant see it being wetsuit legal now.
maybe a good thing for me, I haven't tried my wetsuit on in over 5 years. I bet the damn thing is too tight anyway!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:

I did the race last year and remember seeing a slight current going against the longest leg of the triangular course.

I was actually glad it wasn't wetsuit legal because the air felt warm even before the sun came up.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Showing 72 as of today on that Army website. Definitely will be a flip of the coin it appears, however if it cools that quick I guess it may warm up just as quick. Doing Raleigh for my first HIM so kind of hoping for legal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [linkslefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still holding at 73 today! I'm hoping for a nice swim and ride on race day, my run will be terrible I'm sure. Haven't done any running in the last few weeks due to a little knee issue. Just figured I would rest it up and hope I make it through without walking any
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Still holding at 73 today! I'm hoping for a nice swim and ride on race day, my run will be terrible I'm sure. Haven't done any running in the last few weeks due to a little knee issue. Just figured I would rest it up and hope I make it through without walking any

Walk the aid stations and try your best not walk in between.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
SkipG wrote:

Walk the aid stations and try your best not walk in between.
yeah...I'm mentally prepared for a rough day. Was hoping to break 5:30 for the first time. Not looking good for that though with my hit and miss training. Still good to be back in the sport after a few years off.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp back to 72 after several days of "cool" weather. Looks like weather will be heating up starting tomorrow. It's going to be close....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Random reply, but does anyone happen to have the wave start arrangement from last year?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam very close to Raleigh site on Saturday, and it was first time there was no "stinging of your face" from the water temps. DL athletes swam no wetsuit, (i had no wetsuit), and 2 wear wetsuits. If it's only dropped to 73* after this cool front, there is no way it doesnt warm back up after what I just saw was 86-90* this week.

Of course the water temps readings become magical on race day, but I just cant see it being wetsuit legal this year. Especially if water temp only dropped 2 degrees following a week of "cool" weather in Raleigh.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for shits and giggles, I looked at a 15 day weather forecast for Raleigh. It's showing sunny, high of 79 degrees with little wind on race day... I'll take it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you seeing that? According to weather.com, there's scattered thunderstorms with a 60% chance of rain.... high 84.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope your right. For me, every race where it's been borderline... it always ends up being wetsuit legal. I do think the RD's purposely get a colder reading somehow when the temp is legitimately borderline but I can understand why (safety for non swimmers). I much prefer a non wetsuit race, I'm just not holding my breath.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm a wimp, but I swamight outdoors in Charlotte Saturday, it seemed a bit chilly to me. Sunday was a bit warmer in the water. I'm still thinking it's going to be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Where are you seeing that? According to weather.com, there's scattered thunderstorms with a 60% chance of rain.... high 84.
myforecast.com, hard enough to predict the weather 3 days Much less 15. Hope it's close though. I'll take sunny and 80 any day for a race in June. I just tried on my wetsuit that's been in my closet for a few years...not good! This thing is way too tight! Almost a choking feeling around my neck. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new wetsuit or just go with the swimskin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The link from this thread shows the water at 72 today. Looks like things are warming up however. 10 days to go. Definitely going to be a toss up but seems favorable for WSL for now. Just hoping the rain holds off.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [linkslefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linkslefty wrote:
The link from this thread shows the water at 72 today. Looks like things are warming up however. 10 days to go. Definitely going to be a toss up but seems favorable for WSL for now. Just hoping the rain holds off.

Having done this race every year of its existence, you may want to rethink that. I would take rain any day over the inferno that is the Raleigh run course.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Raleigh 70.3 [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
I have finally come to the realization I will not be ready for the 70.3 this year due to work and other life factors. Considering the crappy weather conditions of my last three major races, it may be a blessing to those participating. Most likely will be a wetsuit swim with a gentle SW wind and cloud cover. I will be at one of the aid stations.

I am looking for a homestay in the region. Normally I go thru Ironman but all the homestays have cats and I am super allergic to cats. You wouldn't be chance know of anyone that wouldn't mind homestaying a pro would you?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next