Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM PEEVES, PROTOCOLS, & PROPER ETIQUETTE
Quote | Reply
based on my prior post, i thought it would be interesting to get some additional feedback as to what peeves you at IMs? what etiquettes are often neglected? are there any protocols that fail to be followed?

in other words, what are the unwritten rules of ironman racing? (let the games begin)
Quote Reply
Re: IM PEEVES, PROTOCOLS, & PROPER ETIQUETTE [golferboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey golferboy. i have spectated at more tri's than i have done, but this is my observation on your topic: my biggest wonder is people acting as if they are the only ones in the event - in other words, "what if EVERYBODY did that?" specifically i am talking about outside support, people other than racers on the course and in transition, and pacers or well wishers alongside racers. for example, people in transition or giving feeds - usually these individuala get huffy when confronted and act as if the confronters have a problem - in truth i wonder how those same individuals would feel if EVERYBODY at their rack had some loved one there helping them and clogging up the place. same with giving feeds at the start of the run. same with having a person run with you.....how would it be if EVERYBODY had their loved one on the side of the road jogging and sharing the journey? i am talking mostly about respect, courtesy, and integrity of the event. strangely, i can't imagine any of this whooha going on at a bike race (or say, a soccer game !!), but there is something about tri that seemingly makes peolple want to join in from the sidelines.
Quote Reply
Re: Pretty good rules[t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"what if EVERYBODY did that?" ....... .........i am talking mostly about respect, courtesy, and integrity of the event.

t-t-n,

I've never heard it put quite that way, but those are pretty darn good guidelines. I think they hit the nail right on the head.

Good job!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Total agreement, and... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with that. We get so many people in our store (and I understand they are nervous over their upcoming event)who think they are the only ones doing it (a given Ironman or other triathlon). Courtesy has to extend to spectators and people who live in the area hosting the event also. It puts us in a difficult and uncomfortable spot when someone comes in the week before Ironman and says "Can you just check my bike over, I think its fine..." and we find a broken frame or other major problem. Often times we held somewhat accountable- and we usually are able to come to their rescue- but it just smacks of bad planning and preperation. It is somewhat rude to expect to be put in line in front of others who were smarter and more courteous by coming in well in advance of an important event and also performing good preventive maintenance. so yeah, adopting some courtesy and tolerance is a big deal, it means a lot.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Total agreement, and... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not just at ironman races that people have the "I'm the centre of the universe" attitude. You see that in our society regardless of where you are ...... waiting in line at a movie, grocery shopping, every day when you drive a car.

In my experience, people racing at ironman events are usually more courteous than the general public. When I did my first ironman race, after 10 years of racing short course and half ironman events, I was very pleasantly surprised by the swim start. I was prepared for much more abuse than I took (It was at IM Canada and there were 1800 starters) considering some of the age group wave starts that I had been in.

I think that at ironman races the biggest etiquette problem is the "bike pee". It should never be done when anyone is within about 20 bike lengths on a windy day!

One other thing that I just thought of. In Penticton you can lend your training wheels to the bike support team so that they have spare wheels for technical difficulties. My tire was fine on my rear wheel when I lent it out but when I got it back it was worn right through to the inner casing (probably got used and the rear brake wasn't adjusted properly for that wheel so the user was locking up the rear and peeling rubber off my tire). If you ever get in a situation where you swap and borrow gear from someone, check it over before returning it.
Last edited by: Allan: Jan 11, 03 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: IM PEEVES, PROTOCOLS, & PROPER ETIQUETTE [golferboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got perhaps an odd peeve from my one and only IM finish. At 13+ hours, no one should trample over other competitors in a sprint finish. I was running the last 200 yds with a woman and I waived her ahead a bit so she could have a nice finish photo without my ugly mug in it (and I without hers!).

Just as she approaches the line, some fool comes flying around the corner, almost knocks me down and does a 100-meter-type flying lean at the finish -- right in front of this woman trying to get a nice photo.

I stopped dead in my tracks while two more of these fools came around the corner. Only when the coast was clear did I do my leisurely finish. I barely crossed ahead of yet another sprint finish madman.

When you're finishing in the 900th place range, there isn't any need to sprint the finish.
Quote Reply