Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Muskoka vs IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant
Quote | Reply
Title says it all...how do IM Muskoka bike and run courses compare to the courses at IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant?

Spot

Quote | Reply
Bump....

Quote | Reply
Haven't done Wisconsin but I've done IMMT and Muskoka 70.3.

Bike: Both have about the same elevation I believe, but the difference lies in how they climbs are configured. Both courses have a tough, punchy section near the end.
  • Muskoka: nothing but small, punchy climbs. Road surface can be hit or miss in some areas. Windy descents mean you can't always bomb the decent and have to lean on the brakes sometimes. Prepare to be in and out of the saddle all day.
  • Tremblant: A good mix of terrain. Some flat sections, some grindy climbs, some punchy climbs. Road surface is 90km of absolute heaven. You can bomb the descents, never touching your brakes through the entire course.

Run:
  • Muskoka: A run into town off the highway in the sun (ie: hot, no shade), with a climb at the far end. A few hills thrown in for good measure. Nice atmosphere when you get into town.
  • Tremblant: Mostly flatish (a few hills to get out of town), where most of the course is a former railway bed. A few kms unpaved sections. The paved section is the perfect running environment if it weren't an IM, as it feels like it can drag on, particularly on the second loop, since there are few landmarks.

If you're going to do either, stay at the venues for both (though Tremblant has the better venue by far). The pre-race buzz at Tremblant is its own magic, and there are tons of things to do if you're bringing a family.

Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 2, 15 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: IM Muskoka vs IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Haven't done Wisconsin but I've done IMMT and Muskoka 70.3.

Bike: Both have about the same elevation I believe, but the difference lies in how they climbs are configured. Both courses have a tough, punchy section near the end.
  • Muskoka: nothing but small, punchy climbs. Road surface can be hit or miss in some areas. Windy descents mean you can't always bomb the decent and have to lean on the brakes sometimes. Prepare to be in and out of the saddle all day.
  • Tremblant: A good mix of terrain. Some flat sections, some grindy climbs, some punchy climbs. Road surface is 90km of absolute heaven. You can bomb the descents, never touching your brakes through the entire course.

Run:
  • Muskoka: A run into town off the highway in the sun (ie: hot, no shade), with a climb at the far end. A few hills thrown in for good measure. Nice atmosphere when you get into town.
  • Tremblant: Mostly flatish (a few hills to get out of town), where most of the course is a former railway bed. A few kms unpaved sections. The paved section is the perfect running environment if it weren't an IM, as it feels like it can drag on, particularly on the second loop, since there are few landmarks.

If you're going to do either, stay at the venues for both (though Tremblant has the better venue by far). The pre-race buzz at Tremblant is its own magic, and there are tons of things to do if you're bringing a family.

I would agree 100% with above. My Garmin/Training Peak data had 2700m for Tremblant Bike (2013) and 2500m for Muskoka. Run was 530m for Tremblant vs 350m. That being said, I think Muskoka is more difficult for reasons outlined above.

I would also add, that even though this was a WTC production, and very slick, polished and professional, it also had the feel/charm of an independent race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Muskoka vs IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done both IM Muskoka and IMMT. The IM Muskoka bike course has quite a bit more elevation change (the gains are provided on the IM website) and IMO is a far more difficult bike course. IMMT is rolling hills with the exception of the last 20 km of each loop. IM Muskoka on the other hand has never ending sharp hills for about half of the course with the remainder being on a highway with rolling hills. The IM Muskoka run course is also more difficult. On the second loop of the IM Muskoka run course almost everyone was doing at least some walking - many people post race were commenting on the fact that they had never seen so many people do so much walking during an IM. This was almost certainly due to the demanding bike course. Having said that, I think the IM Muskoka course is nicer than the IMMT course. There is no disputing, however, that if you are travelling with an entourage there is far more to do at IMMT.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Muskoka vs IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the replies. I just finished IM Mont Tremblant...fantastic venue, and the Friday before the race was really awesome (concert, fireworks). Trying to make up my mind if I'm going to do an IM next year...right now it's between Muskoka and IM Wisconsin. I'd go back to Mont Tremblant but it's further to drive, and the schools are now starting earlier so that the race is now right when school starts.

Spot

Quote | Reply
IM Muskoka is perfect if you are a high watts/kg guy. I do relatively better on flatter courses and really paid the price at IM Muskoka. I love racing in the Muskoka's but will only do the IM there again if I can improve on my watts/kg. Things you might get away with at Muskoka 70.3 will kill you at IM Muskoka.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Muskoka vs IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quick race report form this passed weekend. http://actas-if.blogspot.com/...-game-of-inches.html Never done Wisconsin... Overall venue and transition areas was not as good as IMMT... I enjoyed the swim a lot more in Muskoka. The Bike at MT has harder climbs but less elevation - the hills in Muskoka were easier to manage becasue you can see the top of ever one... Run was harder than IMMT... hillier - wide open - no shade.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Muskoka vs IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know...I can put out decent watts but am also hauling too many kilograms around...

Spot

Quote | Reply
I'm sure others will have plenty of input, nit IMWI is a truly awesome race. I doubt you will have any more spirited fans at any IM as are here. The bike course is sneaky tough, as few hills end up in long rollouts, so technical to a degree. Some tough hills, and a lot of rollers. The run is 2 loop, and the crowd support is phenomenal, especially as you run past the throngs lining the sidewalk cafes on State Street. You get to run by and finish in front of the magnificent State Capitol, and also circle the football field at the Badger's beautiful stadium. As I said, the environment is electric for the entire race from the thousands lining the start of the swim on top of the terrace, to the crazies on the bike climbs, and the awesome support on the run course. Another great thing is that the city is so bike friendly that training in the days before and previewing the course is easy. You can actually be on the actual course......and the beer and cheese here is pretty damn amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Muskoka vs IM Wisconsin and IM Mont Tremblant [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love IM Wisconsin...have 5 finishes there! Super venue for all the reasons you state. I was really looking for a comparison in terms of difficulty between the run and bike courses for Wisconsin and Muskoka, since I have no idea what the terrain is like for Muskoka.

Thanks for the input!

Spot

Quote | Reply
Sorry I can't help you with that, but hopefully this bump will help with someone who has done both.
Quote Reply