Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering that every IM these days are rolling starts of some variety, even if the athlete's age was on his calf, there is zero chance that he was standing next to you at the swim start. The guy that is passing you can be 20 minutes slower than you at that moment or 20 minutes faster than you at that moment. Basing your race strategy on some dude in your AG passing you is plain silly since you don't know if he started 20 minutes before you or 20 minutes after you.

Poon wrote:
Whether there is a rule and whether something is sportsmanlike, are two different things.

Imagine you are running the last couple miles with the goal of a KQ. Another dude is on running with you, and is obscuring his age. Yeah, I guess you could ask him, but he might lie or ignore you. Your race strategy will be affected by that scenario.

Really.

Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
We all know the only bad weather for any WTC race is tahoe, which is why they stopped it. :

Would have been another great weather day this year for Tahoe too. Might as well cancel IMMD now since that makes two years in a row weather has completed effed up this race. Tahoe only had one bad weather year. The second year would have been great too if it wasn't for that douche starting the fire. That would have been three years of perfect Tahoe race weather in one of the best IM venues.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
We all know the only bad weather for any WTC race is tahoe, which is why they stopped it. :

Would have been another great weather day this year for Tahoe too. Might as well cancel IMMD now since that makes two years in a row weather has completed effed up this race. Tahoe only had one bad weather year. The second year would have been great too if it wasn't for that douche starting the fire. That would have been three years of perfect Tahoe race weather in one of the best IM venues.

100% agree.

Murphy's law. If it was "on" for this year there would have been 3 feet of snow :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savage8778 wrote:
That explains all the 2:5x marathon times I saw.

When I saw the video of the insane water I was wondering if they shortened given the speedy times.

Edit: I stand corrected! Nice running then!

I was one of the causalities of the 2:5X marathon times, and I can tell you those guys were dam impressive, they were flying! If I recall correctly my garmin had the course at 41.9k or so.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
Poon wrote:
Whether there is a rule and whether something is sportsmanlike, are two different things.

Imagine you are running the last couple miles with the goal of a KQ. Another dude is on running with you, and is obscuring his age. Yeah, I guess you could ask him, but he might lie or ignore you. Your race strategy will be affected by that scenario.

Really.

Do any of the body markings last until the end of the race? Unless they are using tri tats most of the numbers are rubbed off. Regardless you should be running your race.
Nope usually after the swim you can't read what mine were. And I never put on sun screen or anything else before the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most KQ contenders are in the water within a minute or two of the start, but whatever. Wear your damn calf sleeves
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
That race sucked lol anybody else have a tough day?

Race was terrible, I'm not a strong runner so I've to wade through shin deep water 6 x and run with heavy wet hokas the entire run sucked

Everything was muddy

Bike course was short

Swim cancelled (I was in Florida 14 also)

Will chooses a venue with river or lake swim next time

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

Race was terrible, I'm not a strong runner so I've to wade through shin deep water 6 x and run with heavy wet hokas the entire run sucked

Everything was muddy

Bike course was short

Race sucked, swim cancelled, running through water and mud many times, being 3 loops through the same mess, then they would not allow you to use the one dry path to retrieve your bike and bags, not to mention having to walk back at least a mile from the finish to the transition area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Here are some thoughts post race:

Really bummed about the swim. It would have been a great test for good swimmers. A lot of people could have handled it, but it is the worst swimmer standard that determines if it happens or not. By that standard, it was right to cancel it, but I am still pissed.

A bunch of people were cheering when the swim was cancelled. WTF? Find a new sport.

The TT start made it impossible to measure your positioning relative to others in your AG. I never understand why WTC doesn't numerate bibs in accordance with age and sex. Then, it would be easy to judge.

This isn't particular to this race, but it is unsportsmanlike to wear calf sleeves and not put your age above it. Don't hide your age!

Bike was very windy, but roads were good and you could post a good time. I thought the wind would pick up as the morning went on, but if anything, it weakened. This arguably gave late starters an advantage.

Despite the wind and overcast skies, it was very hot and humid out there. I took only a single pee.

Run course was a proper 26.2.

Running a bunch of times through shin high water was a new experience.

I feel bad for the overall and AG winners. You cross the line, and wait a couple hours to find out if a later starter beat you.

As always, great volunteers and community support for the event. If not for the weather and geography, I would give this event a big endorsement.

I won't be back. Too many safer bets.

It appeared the bib numbers, which they used for the TT start were grouped by age, I was 22xx and everyone was my age group at the start, had they had the swim it was going to be a self seading by your choice of time swim start so you would have been worse off for staying with your AG.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

Everything was muddy

Bike course was short

Race sucked, swim cancelled, running through water and mud many times, being 3 loops through the same mess, then they would not allow you to use the one dry path to retrieve your bike and bags, not to mention having to walk back at least a mile from the finish to the transition area.

Haha I forgot they made us walk through the ankle deep muddy field to get our bikes lol

Good times

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Most KQ contenders are in the water within a minute or two of the start, but whatever. Wear your damn calf sleeves

What are you basing that off of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least no one drowned on the run.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Very tough day. Overall, I thought IMMD was a shit show. Athlete check in was disorganized (lots of non-athletes just walked right in, didn't weigh anyone, and no one knew which table to go to next). When they canceled the swim, 1000 people were trying to get into each tent to change. You couldn't move. I saw many people just decide not to race.

Sitting around for two hours waiting to start did my head in for the bike. So personally I had a very tough ride. In a dark mental place the whole time. I was waiting to see my husband at the HS, and I kept thinking, "what we will he say if I tell him I want to DNF?" But then I really enjoyed the run (the loops broke it up nicely). Wasn't sure how to handle the floods with socks and sneakers (a few people stopped and took them off each time). I kept my sneakers on the whole time, but decided not to put socks on until mile 18 (bad idea, lots of blisters).

And then to finish and have to walk back over to be sent across a field to have my feet submerged in muddy water one more time....

Glad I finished, and glad I experienced Maryland. But unless the date is changed back to September, I will not be back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a guess, but at least for the fast age groups, I doubt there are many contenders that are swimming slower than 1:10, and thus getting in the water fairly quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the likelihood that MD is canned next year? That has been the scenario at pretty much all the IMNA races:
2 major issues back to back and race canceled. Utah, Tahoe, MD...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The event schedule lists athletes registration for next year was on Thursday, and on site registration for all others on site today. We'll see tomorrow if the online registration happens or not... I'm guessing it won't as they might look into changing the date, or canning the race altogether.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [minnie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the course was no longer underwater after they shortened the bike imo they should've just kept that 1ft section that would've made the race more fun lol like I just gave up on trying to go fast after I realized the course was still underwater anyway. At least it would've been more fun and interesting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a side note, I know WTC is trying to spread races across the calendar but with races filling up fast, they could easily have multiple races in the same months in NA for instance. Keep late Sept-Nov for AZ, FL, etc. and July-August for other areas. Tahoe in August would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
On a side note, I know WTC is trying to spread races across the calendar but with races filling up fast, they could easily have multiple races in the same months in NA for instance. Keep late Sept-Nov for AZ, FL, etc. and July-August for other areas. Tahoe in August would be awesome.

I wonder how t would do f they switched Eagleman and IM Md and had the full in late Sept (to avoid Eaglemans historic heat-fest).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they should have cancelled the race and offered folks slots to future races. but then people would have bitched.

the state of ironman triathlon is that people would rather have no swim, do a shortened bike, and run, and call themselves an ironman vs doing the whole course at a later venue.

i'm no elitist, but reports of folks cheering when the swim was cancelled? pfffft.

john
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While, yes, I talked to some people who were okay with it because they don't like to swim, no one was happy that the race was altered...

If I had been a first timer, I would have been devastated to not have the swim. As soon as the announcement was made, I watched a woman just start sobbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

Tahoe would be great the weekend after Labor day weekend. Too busy before.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [minnie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minnie1 wrote:
While, yes, I talked to some people who were okay with it because they don't like to swim, no one was happy that the race was altered...

If I had been a first timer, I would have been devastated to not have the swim. As soon as the announcement was made, I watched a woman just start sobbing.

Another reason why I am so glad I only have the short course bug. For many, these races are their only race for the season. I saw and felt the hurt when
we had all trained for Tahoe in 2014, folks were in the water ready to go, and it had to be canceled. And then in 2015 I had to drop out again for
family issues right before the race, so I was all trained up. No fun.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard the call your name when you crossed the finish line as I was on my last loop. I was like that's my brother's name. I could never get him out here to do something like that. Then I remembered everything hurt but I was almost done. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland 2016 - weather (again) [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me very happy I did this race when it was Chesapeakeman and not a very crowded WTC race where they cancel the swim because the conditions were challenging. When I did it in 2008 there was a hurricane or tropical storm off shore. The water was extremely choppy. We had the swim. The swim was hard as can be and took me 10-minutes longer than expected. One of the hardest triathlon swims I ever did. Poured like crazy on the bike and we went twice through the 2 feet deep section of water. I saw fish on the bike course. Almost went over my handlebars the first time. It was awesome and hard and me, my wife, and about 200 other people did all 140.6 miles of it. 8 years later we remember every bit of it and consider it one of the most rewarding races we have ever done even though the race took me a couple hours longer than I had hoped it would. No PR in those conditions (helped teach me that PR's in triathlon do not matter because the course and conditions dictate the time). Triathlon is supposed to be hard, and you are supposed to be able to adapt to the conditions. Why cancel the swim or shorten the bike course? I don't think people should be put in a truly dangerous situation, but it sounds like it was challenging more than it was dangerous.
Quote Reply

Prev Next