Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training?
Quote | Reply
So how have people dealt with tapering then having their race pushed back by two weeks? Seems like there is very little precedent for having to adapt training to this type of situation so it will be interesting to see how that impacts the results.

I'll start - my coach and I basically decided to just do a repeat of my 12-day taper. I did 6x 100+ mile rides in the three months prior to Oct 3, the last of which was 2 weeks before the planned race date. I honestly felt like he gave me a taper that was a little too short, so the rescheduling may end up benefitting me.

We felt it was probably too risky to throw in yet another 80-100 miler because I was feeling pretty close to the end of my rope with training by the time my original taper began. So for the last two weekends I did 2.5-3 hour trainer rides at high intensity - most of it at 85% of FTP - then called it a day. Runs were 14 miles and 10 miles, again mostly tempo intensity.

We'll know in a week whether this was truly the right call!

Your turn - how have you and/or your coach adapted training to this odd, pretty unprecedented schedule change?
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training? [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a 2 hour IM pace bike 1 hour IM pace brick the Sat of the race which in retrospect I wish I did a 3 hour bike. Then spent this week doing maintenance workouts a bit more than before my first taper week prior to race (11 hours total volume). Plan to repeat my pre-race taper this week.

My rationale is I was tapered already so I could bump up the volume a bit this week without over fatiguing and then use a 1 week full taper to get back to where I was. Aim was to preserve fitness.

This will be my first ironman. I built up my bike distance by 5 miles per week during build from 70 miles - 100 miles. Did another 100 mile ride on the trainer at ironman watts with extreme focus. And did 2 "Big Day" trainings with 4k swim, 70 mile rides, and 10k run (first 10 weeks out and second 4 weeks out). I felt very prepared going into the race on Oct 3. I am sure I'll finish now but definitely not as confident in a good performance.
Last edited by: holograham: Oct 10, 15 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training? [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a few rides last week 90min-2:20 rides trying to get more intensity out of the rides. I did a 13mi run and 10mi run much faster then my IM pace would be. swim stayed the same. i repeated my 1st of 2 week taper, then i will repeat my taper week i was supposed to have last week this week. I will finish a 2hr ride tomorrow with a 5mi run off the bike all IM watts/pace.

I hope it works. I still feel fit but who knows.

I think i did 4-5 100mi rides leading into my taper.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training? [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i developed plantar fascitis. now i'm sitting in maine with a beer after a painful 5 mile run. so much for trying to go sub 10. now i'll be happy with a marathon where i don't want.

maybe i'll name my first son joaquin and make his life miserable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I added a 3 hr trainer and 2 hour bike at easy pace to this week with 6, 10, and 8 mi runs (easy pace). Did 2 45 min swims. Not sure what I'll do this week but will probably just repeat my race week schedule from a couple weeks ago.

Edit to add: I definitely feel like I've lost fitness. I've gained about 3-4 pounds. Was really at my peak I think during the first few days of my taper and would have felt great to race on Oct 3. Not sure what Oct 17 will bring.
Last edited by: CRS: Oct 10, 15 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well crap man, you got 6 days bro! Get that foot better.
--- I had done 8 -10 100+ mile ride (lost track somewhere in there), we decided to throw in a 105 mile ride in last sat at race pace with a 5 mile run off the bike. I actually feel way better going into this last week then i did a week before the original date, still not sure if thats good or bad. TP numbers look good at least.
-- Looks like its going to be a cold race :-( this is why i moved away from the northeast!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
i developed plantar fascitis. now i'm sitting in maine with a beer after a painful 5 mile run. so much for trying to go sub 10. now i'll be happy with a marathon where i don't want.

maybe i'll name my first son joaquin and make his life miserable

Try rolling your foot over golf balls as one part of your "rehab".
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm a osteopractor by trade with a doctorate in physical therapy.

the good thing is that i know how to make this better faster than anyone here. the bad thing is that i know i'm pretty much doomed. did a 5 mile run yesterday (last 10 runs the foot felt better after running) and it felt worse and was limping all day.

it's going to be a looooooong marathon for me. might hammer the bike and blow myself up if i'm going to walk anyways :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were so close! get that healed up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

the good thing is that i know how to make this better faster than anyone here. the bad thing is that i know i'm pretty much doomed. did a 5 mile run yesterday (last 10 runs the foot felt better after running) and it felt worse and was limping all day.

it's going to be a looooooong marathon for me. might hammer the bike and blow myself up if i'm going to walk anyways :-)

I got a Graduate Degree in Exercise Science. 25+ years of more experience. You might want to consider pulling the bicycle cleats as rearward as possible to minimize stress on the area.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
ahhchon wrote:

I got a Graduate Degree in Exercise Science. 25+ years of more experience. You might want to consider pulling the bicycle cleats as rearward as possible to minimize stress on the area.

I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, but radically changing your cleat position right before a race sounds like a really bad idea.
Quote Reply
Re: IM MD folks - how have you adapted your training? [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:
ahhchon wrote:

I didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, but radically changing your cleat position right before a race sounds like a really bad idea.

Can be very true. However, he has an injury issue and a few days before leaving for the race to trial on the trainer in an attempt to minimize further stress on his injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i appreciate the advice. my undergrad degree was in exercise science as well ;-).

at this point i can ride my ride without any serious pain.

the risk of moving a single cleat to reduce foot pain (which is min at most during the bike portion) is not worth the adverse changes that may occur to my knee and hip.

looks like lots of pool and spinning for me and cross my fingers i didn't lose a ton of run fitness over these past 2 weeks.

such a bummer, i was in tip top shape running 7min miles off of century rides feeling great afterwards. amazing what 5 days does to you. such is life.
Quote Reply