Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Louisville race report 10:34:48, 26th M35-39
Quote | Reply

So 6 weeks removed from IM Muskoka, felt ready to give it another give it another go. Louisville would be number 10, but closest I’ve done two (did 2 8 weeks apart several years ago). I took it easy for a week after Muskoka, then proceeded to go on a “vacation” in Vermont. For me, a vacation just so happens to turn into a 23 hr training week with 20,000 feet climbing up and over mountains…put in another 3 weeks of fairly high volume/low intensity training, then a one week taper. I felt like I recovered really quick from Muskoka, and was going in feeling rested and 100% healthy. As far as expections, I’ve done Louisville twice with mixed results. One DNF in the heat before I had the first clue about nutrition and pacing, and a 10:56. With perfect weather, my main goal was to “run” the entire marathon. Figured that might give me a chance at somewhere close to 10 hours. I know the course, and feel a lot of people underestimate how difficult the bike course is. I also knew going in we had 30 miles of headwind to finish. So, I planned on a steady swim, a very steady bike, and hopefully pull out a good marathon. Basically same plan as Muskoka, but thinking 1,000 ft less climbing on the bike and a flat run would lead to a stronger finish.

Pre-Race

Best part of Louisville, and the reason I’ve done it 3 times, only 1.75 hr drive! Checked in Thursday morning then went back to work. Came back down early Saturday morning to spend the day with friends doing the race. Being local I had 3 other teammates and a handful of friends racing, which makes for a great experience. I’m not one to worry a lot about getting in workouts the couple days before the race. I did nothing on Friday, and the extent of my bike check was riding the ˝ mile to transition Saturday for check in. That said, did enough walking around on Saturday to wear myself out a little.

Race Day

Just the normal race morning, slept well enough, up around 5:00. This was the first time in 3 that we decided to sleep in and not worry about where we started in line. Got down to transition a little before 6 to load up nutrition then start the walk to transition. Got to the line around 6:30, which put us maybe 2/3rds of the way back in the line. Biggest issue was lack of port-o-lets, as in none in the 2nd half of line. I know someone mentioned that on another thread, but still amazes me when they know how long the line will be. It was nice arriving late, not having all the anxious time waiting around to think about what was ahead.

Swim – 59:30

I swam 57 at Muskoka, and previously 1 hr flat at Louisville non-wetsuit, so figured something around 55 was likely with some current. Hit the dock at just before 8, 26 min on the race clock, not too bad I thought. I didn’t find the swim very congested at all. Out to first buoy a little bit, but once I made the turn it was wide open. I never found any feet to follow, which I’m usually pretty good at. I wasn’t exactly sure what line to take. I know there’s more current farther out, but more direct staying close to shore. I kept sighting both ways and saw people on both sides so figured I was good. Got to the exit, looked at watch and saw 59…not terrible, but was certainly expecting better. Compared to others I know I definitely lost some time somewhere. Anyway, couple minutes not a big deal in the grand scheme. It was still enough to do a lot of passing and get me to T1 without too much congestion.

T1 – 6:00

I was fairly efficient, long transition. The faster t1 times were more like 4 minutes, but didn’t go with shoes and helmet on bike, and I take the time for cycling shoes as opposed to my tri shoes.

Bike – 5:31:23

Again, comparison to Muskoka. I biked 5:50 on 172ap/191np. I felt pretty good coming off the bike there, the hills on the run just took a toll on me. I figured I could ride a lower VI around the same NP and run much better on the flat Louisville course. Its been talked about, but there is definitely congestion on the bike course. I didn’t find it any different starting where I did then previous years where I started up front. I think I got to the out-and-back just in time though, because it looks pretty rough on the “out” when I was coming back. I had my garmin laping every 7 miles to try to keep steady pace the entire ride. First half I passed a lot of the congestion, with a handfull of FOP’ers passing me. I felt great the entire ride, staying on top of nutrition and it was feeling easy riding right at 180ish ap, and np was not much of 190. Also, knowing that last 30 miles was into the wind it was easy to stick to the plan. I also have a new approach of constantly telling myself “you have to run 26 miles.” As far as 2nd lap traffic, it was definitely messy on the last road before you hit 42 to head home. I think this is where racing my 10th Ironman helps. I finally realize a few minutes in traffic is nothing over 10 hours. I can’t the same for the guy in front of me…on a two lane road with no shoulder and traffic backed up both ways, he couldn’t wait to cut down the center line. He was hovering right on the bumper of a truck looking for an opportunity all frustrated, looks back for a second, and the truck stops, WHAM…it was low speed and he appeared ok, but seriously? I waited a few minutes, still riding at a decent pace, and traffic cleared up. Whole backup cost me maybe 30 seconds. Now the fun part. If you’ve paced the first half right, nothing better then re-passing guys that blew by you early on. I stuck right to my power number and slowly picked up spots all the back to transition. Ended up with 182AP/193NP, with all the splits pretty close, and within a couple minutes of my bestbikesplit prediction.

T2 – 4:38

Pretty uneventful, again, hard to go much faster. I did take the time for a quick restroom visit, well worth it.

Run – 3:53:17

Started the run, and it was by far the best I’ve ever felt. Legs felt great, nutrition felt like it was right on. I was around 6:40 race time, so I knew 10 hours was out, but thought maybe I had a 3:25-3:30 in me for a very solid time. Went out at what felt really easy, and I was around 7:45’s. Really felt like I was holding back, legs were a little sore but actually started to feel better as I went. Plan was to try to just hold there until mile 18-20 if possible then see what I had (courtesy of advice from Endurance Nation). I held that pace for the first 8 miles, then my stomach started to feel a little iffy..I decided to back it down to 8:15-8:30 and try to get nutrition back on. Water was getting old, went for the coke at a couple aid stations, and started feeling much better. Now around mile 13, it was legs starting to go. I managed to keep the damage somewhat limited, but 15-23 were closer to a 9:30 average. That’s when my legs were really giving up. Thankfully had a friend spectating to keep me from walking, and after a couple 11+ miles, decided it didn’t hurt much worse to run faster and managed to finish with a sub 10 mile (felt like a sprint). I must say, the finish area at Louisville is one of the best. Mile 20 on knowing what downtown was like, and knowing I had a lot of support made the pain so much more bearable. The last mile I knew would be easy regardless. Not the run I wanted, but still “ran” the whole thing, and moved up to 26th in my AG. After 31st in Muskoka, very happy with that considering a 300+ AG and good for 112 overall out of god knows how many.

Overall – 10:34:48

Not my fastest time, but feel like it was the best I’ve executed a race and the most fun I’ve ever had. I attribute a lot of that to having so many friends racing and great support all along the way. So 2 Ironman’s in 6 weeks, I guess my years over. NOT. Buddy presents me an opportunity to sneak into IM Florida last minute….damn, did it last year with swim cancelled, I cant pass up and opportunity for another shot. So I gave it 10 minutes thought, and it looks like I have another Ironman in 4 weeks. Good news is legs feel great, easy week this week, then time to get ready to do it all over again.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville race report 10:34:48, 26th M35-39 [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race Matt, it was fun to follow you on race day!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville race report 10:34:48, 26th M35-39 [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the write-up, Matt. You're insane but us spectators get to enjoy the stories!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race...Since you are doing a triple IM year (I've done a few years of those with all three spaced close together) and this year did quad IM year,I would suggest in the next 4 weeks just focus on getting as much sleep as possible and good nutrition. For training swim and bike intensity and just some easy short jogging. You won't lose much endurance in 4 weeks, but you can certainly come into Florida overdone. I actually looked at Florida as a 5th for the year (Ken Glah still has slots race entry only), but it does not really work into schedule.

So I think you are recommending Louisville as a fall event!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville race report 10:34:48, 26th M35-39 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice, thanks! Definitely planning on very low intensity maintenance. Louisville was great as a fall race, I do feel like we got lucky..32 overnight low this Sunday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:

So 6 weeks removed from IM Muskoka, felt ready to give it another give it another go. Louisville would be number 10, but closest I’ve done two (did 2 8 weeks apart several years ago). I took it easy for a week after Muskoka, then proceeded to go on a “vacation” in Vermont. For me, a vacation just so happens to turn into a 23 hr training week with 20,000 feet climbing up and over mountains…put in another 3 weeks of fairly high volume/low intensity training, then a one week taper. I felt like I recovered really quick from Muskoka, and was going in feeling rested and 100% healthy. As far as expections, I’ve done Louisville twice with mixed results. One DNF in the heat before I had the first clue about nutrition and pacing, and a 10:56. With perfect weather, my main goal was to “run” the entire marathon. Figured that might give me a chance at somewhere close to 10 hours. I know the course, and feel a lot of people underestimate how difficult the bike course is. I also knew going in we had 30 miles of headwind to finish. So, I planned on a steady swim, a very steady bike, and hopefully pull out a good marathon. Basically same plan as Muskoka, but thinking 1,000 ft less climbing on the bike and a flat run would lead to a stronger finish.

Pre-Race

Best part of Louisville, and the reason I’ve done it 3 times, only 1.75 hr drive! Checked in Thursday morning then went back to work. Came back down early Saturday morning to spend the day with friends doing the race. Being local I had 3 other teammates and a handful of friends racing, which makes for a great experience. I’m not one to worry a lot about getting in workouts the couple days before the race. I did nothing on Friday, and the extent of my bike check was riding the ˝ mile to transition Saturday for check in. That said, did enough walking around on Saturday to wear myself out a little.

Race Day

Just the normal race morning, slept well enough, up around 5:00. This was the first time in 3 that we decided to sleep in and not worry about where we started in line. Got down to transition a little before 6 to load up nutrition then start the walk to transition. Got to the line around 6:30, which put us maybe 2/3rds of the way back in the line. Biggest issue was lack of port-o-lets, as in none in the 2nd half of line. I know someone mentioned that on another thread, but still amazes me when they know how long the line will be. It was nice arriving late, not having all the anxious time waiting around to think about what was ahead.

Swim – 59:30

I swam 57 at Muskoka, and previously 1 hr flat at Louisville non-wetsuit, so figured something around 55 was likely with some current. Hit the dock at just before 8, 26 min on the race clock, not too bad I thought. I didn’t find the swim very congested at all. Out to first buoy a little bit, but once I made the turn it was wide open. I never found any feet to follow, which I’m usually pretty good at. I wasn’t exactly sure what line to take. I know there’s more current farther out, but more direct staying close to shore. I kept sighting both ways and saw people on both sides so figured I was good. Got to the exit, looked at watch and saw 59…not terrible, but was certainly expecting better. Compared to others I know I definitely lost some time somewhere. Anyway, couple minutes not a big deal in the grand scheme. It was still enough to do a lot of passing and get me to T1 without too much congestion.

T1 – 6:00

I was fairly efficient, long transition. The faster t1 times were more like 4 minutes, but didn’t go with shoes and helmet on bike, and I take the time for cycling shoes as opposed to my tri shoes.

Bike – 5:31:23

Again, comparison to Muskoka. I biked 5:50 on 172ap/191np. I felt pretty good coming off the bike there, the hills on the run just took a toll on me. I figured I could ride a lower VI around the same NP and run much better on the flat Louisville course. Its been talked about, but there is definitely congestion on the bike course. I didn’t find it any different starting where I did then previous years where I started up front. I think I got to the out-and-back just in time though, because it looks pretty rough on the “out” when I was coming back. I had my garmin laping every 7 miles to try to keep steady pace the entire ride. First half I passed a lot of the congestion, with a handfull of FOP’ers passing me. I felt great the entire ride, staying on top of nutrition and it was feeling easy riding right at 180ish ap, and np was not much of 190. Also, knowing that last 30 miles was into the wind it was easy to stick to the plan. I also have a new approach of constantly telling myself “you have to run 26 miles.” As far as 2nd lap traffic, it was definitely messy on the last road before you hit 42 to head home. I think this is where racing my 10th Ironman helps. I finally realize a few minutes in traffic is nothing over 10 hours. I can’t the same for the guy in front of me…on a two lane road with no shoulder and traffic backed up both ways, he couldn’t wait to cut down the center line. He was hovering right on the bumper of a truck looking for an opportunity all frustrated, looks back for a second, and the truck stops, WHAM…it was low speed and he appeared ok, but seriously? I waited a few minutes, still riding at a decent pace, and traffic cleared up. Whole backup cost me maybe 30 seconds. Now the fun part. If you’ve paced the first half right, nothing better then re-passing guys that blew by you early on. I stuck right to my power number and slowly picked up spots all the back to transition. Ended up with 182AP/193NP, with all the splits pretty close, and within a couple minutes of my bestbikesplit prediction.

T2 – 4:38

Pretty uneventful, again, hard to go much faster. I did take the time for a quick restroom visit, well worth it.

Run – 3:53:17

Started the run, and it was by far the best I’ve ever felt. Legs felt great, nutrition felt like it was right on. I was around 6:40 race time, so I knew 10 hours was out, but thought maybe I had a 3:25-3:30 in me for a very solid time. Went out at what felt really easy, and I was around 7:45’s. Really felt like I was holding back, legs were a little sore but actually started to feel better as I went. Plan was to try to just hold there until mile 18-20 if possible then see what I had (courtesy of advice from Endurance Nation). I held that pace for the first 8 miles, then my stomach started to feel a little iffy..I decided to back it down to 8:15-8:30 and try to get nutrition back on. Water was getting old, went for the coke at a couple aid stations, and started feeling much better. Now around mile 13, it was legs starting to go. I managed to keep the damage somewhat limited, but 15-23 were closer to a 9:30 average. That’s when my legs were really giving up. Thankfully had a friend spectating to keep me from walking, and after a couple 11+ miles, decided it didn’t hurt much worse to run faster and managed to finish with a sub 10 mile (felt like a sprint). I must say, the finish area at Louisville is one of the best. Mile 20 on knowing what downtown was like, and knowing I had a lot of support made the pain so much more bearable. The last mile I knew would be easy regardless. Not the run I wanted, but still “ran” the whole thing, and moved up to 26th in my AG. After 31st in Muskoka, very happy with that considering a 300+ AG and good for 112 overall out of god knows how many.

Overall – 10:34:48

Not my fastest time, but feel like it was the best I’ve executed a race and the most fun I’ve ever had. I attribute a lot of that to having so many friends racing and great support all along the way. So 2 Ironman’s in 6 weeks, I guess my years over. NOT. Buddy presents me an opportunity to sneak into IM Florida last minute….damn, did it last year with swim cancelled, I cant pass up and opportunity for another shot. So I gave it 10 minutes thought, and it looks like I have another Ironman in 4 weeks. Good news is legs feel great, easy week this week, then time to get ready to do it all over again.

How did you find the course difficulty compared to Musky?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville race report 10:34:48, 26th M35-39 [Saundo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're referring to the bike course, not much easier...according to my garmin, Muskoka was 6,000 ft, Louisville 4,800. Both are constant rollers, Muskoka has a few more difficult individual climbs but either way it adds up over 112 miles. Also, not sure about the norm in Muskoka, but wind was not an issue. Louisville always seems to have a headwind the last 30 miles with the wind out of the SW. As far as the run, no comparison. Louisville nearly pancake flat, Muskoka not at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice write up Matt! Great race too. The camaraderie really was fantastic with teammates and other friends racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this info on the bike course relative to Muskoka. What was the delta in your bike times?. It seems like a fair bike course without the draft fest scenario in many WTC races. It's tweaking my interest more and more! How bad is the water in the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville race report 10:34:48, 26th M35-39 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muskoka I was 5:50 on 171ap/191np, much easier to keep vi closer in Louisville with fewer steep climbs. Water wasn't bad at all as far as I could tell, although heard a few stories about people having stomach issues. Hard to know if that's river related or not. I also didnt taste the diesel fuel that I have in the past...don't have to worry much about peletons, the constant rollers take care of that. I didn't really see any blatant drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I do an early season race and then the Muskoka + Louisville double, I can keep the summer open for sprint/oly/half IM races and not do any IM training and have more flex for work and family stuff. This seems like a good option. Do a volume build early year/spring, race an IM, then do intensity all summer and jack up FTP/speed and then just go into the IM's on that with maybe a lack of LC specificity, but that's OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what I did, got in 4 half's early/mid season, then ramped up for the double (now triple)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up doing IM South Africa + Texas + Whistler + Tahoe. Really it was two builds, and getting 2 races out of each and maintaining/doing intensity in between. I'd rather just not do a second build and just do one and then focus on short racing and do some more long racing just off elevated FTP/threshold from the short racing.

The first three were the original plan, but to tell you the truth, I did not like that three race spacing as much as when I did it more concentrated (LP+Tremblant+Kona, or Texas+Whistler+Tremblant). I kind of like the idea of not really doing an IM during the main Canadian summer when all the local racing is going on. The IM's get in the way. Pushing them outside the local season let's me do all the short local stuff. I like the challenge of the long races, but I prefer the hard shorter training and racing from a pure racing angle. The IM's there are more of a mental exercise in execution and nutrition management, but I never really feel like I am racing start gun to to finishing tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also did a bunch of sprints/Olympics on the same thinking. Built a lot of speed racing often at all the local races, then easier to just add the endurance on top for the late season ironman push. I really like the descending gap too. Long build for the first, 6 weeks later, then 4 weeks. With that, now I don't have to put in another big build and burnout. Also went from hardest to easiest. If muskoka were the third, think I might have problems...
Quote Reply