Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Louisville (with new date) or IM Wisconsin?
Quote | Reply
So, I know there's a million threads about which one IM to try (Louisville or Wisconsin), but here I am, starting another one. The main reason I avoided Louisville in the past was the heat, like everyone else and their mother (not because I don't love a challenge...but I quite literally overheat and pass out in anything above 80 degrees due to a medical condition). But anyway, I am trying to do my first IM and Louisville and Wisconsin are both of my options due to being close to where I live.

With the date change for Louisville, I am very tempted to do this race as it is closer to where I live, and far more affordable...however, it is during a busy time of the year for me so I know balancing work/family/training will be a bear. Wisconsin is at a better time of year in September, but requires more of a time commitment out of town and, from what I've heard, is a much harder course. My spouse is not any help because all I get is "do what makes you happy."

I guess, if there's anyone out there that's done both, which would you prefer? Louisville in October? Or Wisconsin? What would make you pick that one?

Oh, and one last question...is the Ohio river as gross as they say it is?

I know, lots of questions, but I really want to do one or the other. I'm set to volunteer at Wisconsin anyway to cheer on a friend, so I will be onsite to register this year if that's the race I choose....

Sorry for the rambling post!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Louisville (with new date) or IM Wisconsin? [psychedtotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ive raced louisville, and volunteered twice at madison, ive ridden the bike course as well, and swam in the lake. if i had to compare:
1. Swims: Madison is better in terms of water quality, but Louisville I personally think is the easier swim ( i am a strong swimmer i don't care) but even a wetsuit illegal swim in the Ohio River is not taxing at all, you swim most of it with the current, its also not a mass start which for a first timer might be little bit more comforting as you avoid the washing machine.
2. Bike: I found the bike course in Louisville to be easier, and maybe slightly more scenic, but hell on the second loop i was indifferent on both. Louisville definitely is a more dangerous bike course although ive seen some sketchy things happen in Madison as well. (one of the years i volunteered at the second bike aid) i think bike aid stations are more fun and loud at Madison but again i was on the volunteering side there.
3.Run: this definitely goes to Madison, you are running in and around the capitol, there is a load of people all over, the Louisville run gets thinner in terms of spectators at times...
4. Finish line: This on the other hand definitely goes to Louisville, Fourth street live is definitely more loud and awake and wild in comparison to Madison at least that is my opinion, i've been to midnight finish at both.

Hope this kinda helps... I think between those two i'd pick Madison, but probably because ive raced louisville. But if i dont get a kona slot in 2015 i will be racing louisville again!

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply