Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Korea Race Report
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find much information when I decided to do this race, so I thought I would post a report for anyone who might be considering it.

Let me preface this by saying that this was my worst IM performance ever, so I hope that doesn't color my overall impressions of the race.

The race venue at Jungmun beach is a sort of tourist enclave with several very nice hotels. The Shilla, Hyatt, Lotte, and others are all part of this resort. Unfortunately, the Resort, and the swim start, were quite a distance from the World Cup Stadium where the pre-race briefing, T-2 and the Finish were. Transportation was a problem, as was communication, as no-one knew where at the (quite large) Stadium the pre-race briefing would be.

Bike and equipment check in were on Saturday. Everything went smoothly, racks were numbered, and the transition area was well secured.

Sunday morning started out well. I got the wetsuit on, and down to the beach for the start in plenty of time. The cannon went off right on time, and total mayhem was unleashed. This was my first mass start, and it was prety brutal. The swim consisted of two loops, with a short beach run between the two. I thought I would hang back and to the sides to avoid the worst of the thrashing, but it was not to be. I was clocked twice on the chin in exactly the same spot on each lap of the course. The second time I actually saw stars. I was out of the water in a decent time for me.

T-1 is at the top of a cliff overlooking the beach, the run up was quite steep, and about 300 meters of pebbly pavement. Not kind to bare feet.

The bike course has the potential to be a great one. Parts of the course were very scenic, for the most part the volunteers were great. My big problem is that the course is open to traffic for all but a short section. I was passed very closely by a few trucks going REALLY fast. The other problem may be kind of minor, but it shows a lack of attention to detail that I expect from an organization that charges these kinds of entry fees. Gatorade and water were served on the bike course. But the bottles had screw off tops, and neither water nor Gatorade fit in a water bottle cage. The more serious of the problems was the vehicular traffic on the course. For the most part, the drivers were very courteous, but, as the day wore on, I guess patience wore thin. This has the potential to be a dangerous combination. The course itself was quite hilly. The biggest hill on the course wasn't that bad, but the series of climbs after that were pretty challenging.

The run was three loops of a closed, paved course. There were a few rolling hills, but nothing that bad. It was just really boring. I hate multiple loop runs, and this one was just a mind killer. The support was pretty good, with Gatorade, Coke, water, Powerbars and bananas.

For a destination race, I wasn't too impressed.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I've been considering this race for several years. Wifey is Korean and family lives in Seoul. How was the weather? Hot and humid or cool? Bad wind? Are the roads smooth or rough? Any problems getting a domestic flight to take your bike? Would you plan to spend a whole week there or just 3 days?

Trouble is there are a lot of other Ironman destinations that are higher on my list, and even though I could stay in Seoul free the cost would be pretty high. I'd have to agree that the open bike course, 3 loop run, and screwy water bottles would be a disappointment.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea Race Report [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road surfaces were great. Weather was suprisingly good. It's really humid here near Seoul, but Jeju was much less so. I flew Asiana airlines from Kimpo to Jeju. No problems with my Trico Ironcase, and no extra charges.

Quote | Reply
Wow, sounds like some pretty decent bugs to get worked out of this one. Glad you made it through okay. Think you would go back?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea Race Report [Attila] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many Ironman races have closed courses? Tough to get that many miles of roads closed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea Race Report [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, there are other races on my priority list that I would rather do. I think Brazil or South Africa will be next.

Quote | Reply
I guess maybe I'm spoiled, I only have Roth and California to compare it against. But compared with those, and other non-IM distance tri's I've done, I just wasn't pleased with the "bang for the buck" from this race.

Quote | Reply
No offense intended, it just baffles me why anyone would go to someplace like Korea (or the middle East, per a previous thread a few months back) for an Ironman. Or actually for any reason! There are so many great locations in the world to vacation, and so many interesting IM venues...

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea Race Report [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my case, I'm in the US Army and stationed in Korea. This race was convenient for me, just a 1 hour flight from Seoul (I'm stationed in Uijongbu, north of Seoul). I agree with you, I can't see making this a destination race when there are so many other venues.

Quote | Reply
Korea doesn't compare to the middle east. Jeju-do is a somewhat remote resort island and very popular with the Koreans and Japanese. Mainland Korea is a mixture of centuries old historical attractions and high-tech (that is years ahead of the US). They get plenty of tourists.

I'd guess your baffled because your impression of Korea is based on what you see on the nightly news about negotiations with the North, and maybe their industrial significance. If you alluding to it being a dangerous place to travel, I'd guess your far more likely to be attacked in Florida; Korea has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and I'd have no reservations walking anywhere in Seoul any time.

I can understand it not being at the top of your list, but Korea has it's charms.
Quote Reply