Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Helmet: aero or not
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about advantages of aero helmet on IM distance. I have both, regular road helmet and LG aero. I am not super fast, my average on IM would be about 17 mph.
The IM distance I am running this year is at Cedar Point, flat course.

So, should go with aero-helmet, or stick with road one?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Helmet: aero or not [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   Aside from staying in your bars, wearing the aero lid may be the best thing you can do to ride your best.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Helmet: aero or not [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...unless you look around a lot when you ride.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Helmet: aero or not [BorrachoMatador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
even if you look around a lot.

To the OP: Aero trumps just about everything else. P/CdA is one of most important measurements for predicting performance. A person with low power but really low drag can and will often outride someone putting out 50-75w more with a horrible position

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious as to why you are having this internal debate. It seems like you'd want to go with the best equipment in your closet, during a race. This question seems as strange to me as someone with racewheels asking if it's better for them to race with their racewheels or their training wheels.

Quote | Reply
Unless you are really concerned about overheating (Which is why you test equipment on long rides ideally in similar conditions to a race), why give up all that time.

I'd even argue that with an aero helmet, you could just ride slower at the same pace and mitigate heat issues somewhat. OR compromise with a slightly less aero but well vented helmet. For many "slower" rider with high positions, they might be best with a tailless helmet anyway. IF the tail of the helmet isn't nearly flat of your back, you won't get as much form it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the LG vorticce? If yes, and if you actually like that helmet, then....you should definitely take it.
I did an IM with it, super comfy, airs well, and fast. I went with the visor. I was a rocket. LG rocks.

Also, try it out and if it feels faster, it probably is.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero helmet at Cedar Point. That course is relatively flat and when the wind is out of the east (is was last year) you'll have long ride into it.

Here is the course from when I pre-rode it, never mind the wrong turns :P

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/360516909

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 22, 14 3:10
Quote Reply
Re: IM Helmet: aero or not [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri297 wrote:
Do you have the LG vorticce?

No, I have SuperLeggera with visor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't think of one single reason to not wear your aero helmet at IM. The usual poo poo is this pretend issue of poor ventilation, yet having ridden Austria in the hottest year on record I can say it mattered not at all that I wore my Rudy Wingspan and would wear it again under the same conditions. In fact I did, the following year (on a different but equally boiling course).

The good bit is you go faster!

It's all Chrissie's fault.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jul 21, 14 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be good as well. What is your concern as to using the aero helmet?
Unless it is a super hot lid (no vents etc) and the race will be hot, then maybe no.

Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Helmet: aero or not [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! Thanks for your input!

My concern was that on the long run the aero helmet will be less comfortable, because I will have to keep my head straight to get the most of the aero advantage.
But I will definitely wear it on.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Helmet: aero or not [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Unless you are really concerned about overheating (Which is why you test equipment on long rides ideally in similar conditions to a race), why give up all that time.

I'd even argue that with an aero helmet, you could just ride slower at the same pace and mitigate heat issues somewhat. OR compromise with a slightly less aero but well vented helmet. For many "slower" rider with high positions, they might be best with a tailless helmet anyway. IF the tail of the helmet isn't nearly flat of your back, you won't get as much form it.

I just have to ask: how can you ride "slower at the same pace"? I mean, I haven't had coffee yet, but that seems impossible.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
potomuchto wrote:
Great! Thanks for your input!
My concern was that on the long run the aero helmet will be less comfortable, because I will have to keep my head straight to get the most of the aero advantage.
But I will definitely wear it on.

I think I get it now, so you are wondering
1. Is using an aero helmet in non-aero position, slower than a regular road helmet in non-aero position?
I did an IM with a aero helmet (vorticce) and have broken aero position a few times. This was probably slower than in aero position, but I think the same or faster than with a road helmet.
I did not measure it in a wind tunnel or anything though.

2. Is an aero helmet without the correct position uncomfortable?
I train with my aero helmet sometimes and climb hills or ride on the base bar, it is not uncomfortable for me.
If the aero helmet does not fit right however i would not take it. I noticed that on really long rides like IM, a tiny problem can become a huge one and all you can think about.
So go with something you are comfortable with.

Quote Reply