Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Hawaii 70.3
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on this race? (good/bad) When does it usually sell out? I am looking at it for 2016 as a destination race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been to this event since the start in 2004 and its actually one of my favorite events to time, I have not raced it, my wife has done it and know a lot of people that have done it.
Beautiful venue, awesome course, challenging run on the golf course. On my bucket list when I get back into racing (been saying this for a few years now...) I would strongly recommended it.
It usually sells out months in advance so I would sign up as soon as it opens for 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice and will do it more time in the future, it is hard to beat as a destination race. The first time I spent a few days on the BI and then went to Kauai. Last year I just stayed on Hawaii, there really is so much to do there and it is so diverse, really an amazing place. Beautiful swim, fair bike course (just avoid the rumble strips, hit one and sliced my sidewall last year), and a run that looks like it should be fast...but the heat...oh the heat... Did pretty poorly last year and didn't even care, because when you cross that finish line you are in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this 70.3! Been going out there since it's inception (and used to do the old Keahou Half back in the 90s)--My wife and I both raced in 2014 while her dad watched the kids. This year, she wants to work on her tan and sea kayak with the kids while I race. My kids love the Fairmont Orchid (especially the protected cove-beach), and there are so many options for things to do, it never gets old. Seriously, it never gets old. The Hapuna Beach swim course is perfect, and racing on the relatively harder section of the IM course, plus the technical run on various surfaces (fair way, cart path, dirt road, asphalt) makes it a tough half, but finishing on the resort grounds and falling into the pool after you cross the finish line is something I always look forward to. Sign up- you will be glad you did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your other question. I saw a note/post from WTC yesterday that stated there were only 11 foundation spots left for 2015 (realizing you asked about 2016)... race sold out in November-ish, if I recall. Some years it sells out 6 months in advance sometimes it doesn't sell out at all. Seems to be pretty variable.
Last edited by: samgager: Jan 6, 15 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you find this kind of thing helpful, I wrote a race report for Honu 2014. Happy to answer any questions, too.
http://wattsupkarin.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/honu-70-3-race-report/

Tweet WattsUpKarin Blargh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the race 3x. Highly recommend as it is very well run. Great swim, great bike, and challenging run. You'll likely also get to battle the elements of heat, humidity and wind.

As far as I remember...these were the recent general entry sell out times.

2011 - March 2011
2012 - February 2012
2013 - January 2013
2014 - October 2013
2015 - November 2014 (this is after they announced that there would no longer be Kona slots or a pro race)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a fantastic race. Did it as my first-ever triathlon in 2012 and I've been back each year since. The run is absolutely bonkers hot, even moreso if your run split is 2:00+. That basically puts you on the run course while the sun is directly overhead, cooking you and everything around you. You'll feel like you earned your finish for sure. 3 free beer tickets await you at the finish once you can settle your stomach down. Take advantage!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the host Hotel ( Fairmont Orchid ) a reasonable place to stay or are there other hotels worth staying too? by the way coming from the Philippines :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [bobmendoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the host hotel is great. There are a couple other hotels in the area, but this is the one at the finish line. They have their own beach (others are easily within reach, including the start) but it is so nice to be right there... and the beach is pretty great. You can get a decent rate, including breakfast, which is really nice.

All parts of the island are pretty accessible from this area, but I am partial to the Fairmont Orchid. Great to be there for the race and to have it as your base afterwards. Good running and riding before and after the race or just walking to some nearby black sand beaches. Oh yeah... and an easy drive to Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, which is where the swim start/T1 are located. It's a little quieter and less triathlon centric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A group of us went there with families this past year for this race. I liked it. Swim was great, you get to experience a portion of the pain that the IM athletes get on the bike and the run was always changing and had great scenery so wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. If Race Directors want an education on how to do aid stations correctly, this is the race to look at! Overall I liked it, although I'll still maintain for people traveling thousands of miles to come to this highly destination race, a cotton finisher's t-shirt is a rookie move.

We arrived Tuesday before and, coming from Chicago, it definitely takes longer than that to get acclimated to the climate to perform as well as you want to (realize you are in the PHL, but for others). We stayed in Kona and loved it. Getting to the race or registration wasn't as big of a deal as we thought it might be and definitely more low key, and cheaper. We had a one bedroom condo literally on the water for $140/night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honu is an awesome race. I did it last year and liked it so much that I booked again for this year. The host hotel (Fairmont Orchid) is great. As others mentioned, the beach is excellent. You can snorkel with the turtles and lots of other things to do from the hotel. The food at the hotel was really good and there is a store close by to pick up other items. Day trips to see the volcano and Kona are worthwhile. The family had a wonderful time there. This year we are staying in Waikaloa. I wanted a bit more space and cooking facilities. If i didn't have three kids I'd be back at the Fairmont in a heartbeat.

It might be a different field this year without the KQ spots.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [samgager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if it will now be the last weekend in May going forward? Seem to remember it being the first weekend in June before this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caffeinatedtri wrote:
Does anyone know if it will now be the last weekend in May going forward? Seem to remember it being the first weekend in June before this year.

It was also the last weekend in May last year (May 31st, to be exact). I don't know if they've announced the date for next year yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Honolulu to Kona, coming from an international flight, would there be extra charges / payments for my baggages and sports package ( bike Bag) ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! Beautiful swim, challenging bike to Hawi and back, and a brutal run. It's hot, and those rolling golf course hills really make it hard to get into a good rhythm. Overall a really awesome race though. The Fairmont is nice, but pricey. You are right in a big resort area though, so there are a lot of options of other hotels, and vacation rentals. Has been selling out earlier and earlier, but I think that changed somewhat after they stopped offering Kona slots. Do the race, stay a while after....It's Hawaii!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bobmendoza wrote:
From Honolulu to Kona, coming from an international flight, would there be extra charges / payments for my baggages and sports package ( bike Bag) ?

If the Honolulu to Kona leg is on the same ticket as the international flight, and your bags are tagged through to Kona from your point of origin, then you shouldn't see any additional baggage charges.

If you are flying a separate ticket via Hawaiian, etc. or your bags are only tagged through to Honolulu, then be prepared to pay extra.

In any case, you'll need to pick up your bags in Honolulu, clear customs and then re-check in at the domestic terminal for the flight to Kona.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes flying in at separate tickets PAL ( MNL- HNL) and Hawaiian airlines HNL - KONA , extra payments it is , thanks a lot owtbac
Last edited by: bobmendoza: Mar 31, 15 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [diguiseppl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How hard/ challenging is the bike course ? I only have one set of wheels 60/90 HED jet would this be a disadvantage on the croswinds :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike course rolls constantly. The steepest climbing is probably right out of T1 @Hapuna Beach to the Queen K and then the Queen K across the Prince access bridge heading back past Hapuna. There is another small, steep climb past Kohala Ranch Subd on 270. The longest sustained climb is when turning northeast towards Hawi past Mahukona. It is approx. 5 miles. Not steep, but prevailing wind here is from the east or northeast which makes this section feel harder than the actual grade. The other sustained climb is less than a mile on the way back past Kawaihae to the QK intx.

I ride Zipp FC 808's on this course. How much I he get tossed around depends on what the island offers for wind on race day. The roads are mostly closed to traffic on race day so you have the entire lane and shoulder for clearance if the wind is blowing hard. This of course means there are riders all over the road. The crosswinds can be tricky when going from terrain shielding to open gaps. If you are comfortable on the 60/90 they shouldn't be a problem for you. My wife is small and runs 58mm rims front and rear on this course. I'd run a disk if they allowed it as this is a high yaw course!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Summitak, I have used them wheels in about 3 Half IM and half dozen olympic distances on different road conditions, but I just got worried about the side winds Kona is famous for :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! As you know the weather can be crazy, other than that it is the best organized race outside of the world championships. If you go go swim the IM course in Kona, most any day there are allot of swimmers between 7:30 and 8:00. I have done the race the past five years it is a fantastic race. Family or Solo? If you are going with kids stay at Hapuna Beach Hotel or even better the (Mauna Kea) the beach at Hapuna is really nice and you have access to Mauna Kea Beach, one of the best beaches in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bringing this thread back to life as i'm contemplating in doing it for 2016. any suggestions on where to stay, would prefer condo and what would be the safest and least expensive way to transport the bike from sf bay area? doing a quick search on packages at costco travel, i see no direct flights from either oakland or san jose going to kona. is there no direct flights at all? tia!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Hawaii 70.3 [kayumanggi65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am returning as well- I think 2016 will be my 8th time. Love this race. I do like the host hotel, the Fairmont Orchid, due to finishing the race on it's grounds and basically falling into the pool when you are done! However, a friend of mine found a condo right on the run course - there are a lot of lodging options, so do your homework and find something the suits your needs. As for flights, coming from the Midwest, I fly through PHX or LAX and then direct to KOA. I always thought there were a dozen or so flights daily from the west coast. I don't think you will have a problem with that. Check the airline websites.
Quote Reply

Prev Next