Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM FL - My favorite photo. Not much action, but...
Quote | Reply

Leslie was my training partner for IM FL. Our friendship has survived hours on the road, some freezing swims, and her unsuccessful attempt to put me out of my misery in a rather spectacular bike crash (OK, I confess, I ran into her back wheel in a pace line - but she did drive me to a hospital as opposed to a vet clinic). We started the swim together last weekend, and then thanks to her having a chain problem, I finally caught her at about the 80 mile mark on the bike. I started the run in front of her, she caught me at mile 14, and we decided that we may as well finish together. My misery needed her company. Without her I might still be out on the run course. She finished a few seconds in front of me, we gathered up our "stuff" and headed back down towards Surf Drive. This photo (I think) says it all - race is over, head for home. We were discussing taking the next year off - at least from IM races. The next morning we both entered IM FL 2006.

John F. Martin, Jr.
+1 (614) 403-0567
jfm225@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL - My favorite photo. Not much action, but... [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to both of you. Great picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cute story... that's why I love this sport... =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got me all choked up.

Great story and picture!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that photo. It captures the essence of the sport- the backbone and backgound of it. there is a lot going on in the phot and i like the perspective: From behind as the subjects move away toward an unseen goal.

It really is a beautiful and lyrical narritive. The photo does tell- or suggest- a story.

Very nice. Thank you for putting it up here. An image like that is a treasure.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So where's your kit? Don't tell me Lesley is carrying it!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I've come to love is the early morning's in transition, wandering around in the dark, there's a feeling of energy, people are chatting and there's the air of expectancy all around.

Great story and photo, thanks for posting it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL - My favorite photo. Not much action, but... [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh yes. The prerace final prep in transition. How many tires did you hear pop? I heard enough that even though my front was down a litle, I decided not to stand in line to get it popped.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great shot.

I assume the cuple is walking back to their hotel after the race.

The day starts in the dark and for many finishes in the dark. It's a long day, but what amazes me whether you are competing or spectating/supporting( I have done a lot of both now) the day just seems to fly by. The last finisher finishes. 12:00 midnight comes up and it just seems like I got up and started making the coffee at 4:30 the previous morning!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff :-)

There's something special about the moments after a race.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pic...

It reminded me of the first time my wife (then girlfriend) came to see me do an IM in Penticton, almost a decade ago. Leading up to the race, she had no idea what I was training for and she thought I was crazy. But on race day, after witnessing the whole range of emotions that accompany the day, she was in tears as she waited for me at the finish line. (and she did have quite a wait!)

As we headed back to the Pentiction Inn, she told me how her day went, how she scrambled from one point to another to cheer me on, and how she found this one "Terminator-like" Euro pro to be kinda funny/cute (Pauli Kiuru). She wasn't a training partner and she didn't race with me, but in a way, she was and she did.

These moments are very personal, and I can only guess what was going through your minds at the particular moment in the photo, but for me it did bring back many memories of my own post race walk-back-to-hotel moments. Thanks for sharing yours!

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: IM FL - My favorite photo. Not much action, but... [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no there's not - they hurt:)

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply