Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Cork - 2 weeks Away
Quote | Reply
I'm coming over from the US, so looking to gain intel from locals on conditions/water temps , overall race buzz. excited to race - any on else heading over/racing?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cork - 2 weeks Away [Britri1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there and welcome (in 2 weeks) to Ireland.

Weather conditions are fairly unpredictable at the moment. It is changing pretty much every day this week so god only knows what next week holds. What to bring and what to wear will come down to the kinds of conditions you're used to. Main piece of advice would be to bring gloves and a good rain jacket, or a gilet and arm warmers, and have a change of clothes in the T2 bag. If any supporters are coming with then they should have a decent rain jacket too.

Air temperature is anywhere between 9 degrees C (48F) and 13 C (55F) in the morning and 15 C (59F) to 23 C (73F) in the afternoon. Last year we had a freak hot spell that saw sunshine, hardly any wind and 27 degrees on race day. Followed by a big thunderstorm and torrential downpours the same evening. Counter that with a freak day of constant heavy rain in 2019. Both of these are rare.

Water temperature is 15.7 (60.2F) today and is very unlikely to go up any more than that so if that temperature is a problem then bring an extra swim cap or even a neoprene one.

You can practice the first half of the swim course but won't be allowed to do the second half down past the lighthouse until race day.
The course runs about 1500m west parallel to the beach, before turning and going 2300 metres past the race start and the lighthouse to T1.

The tide runs more or less parallel to the shore but the swim start time is an hour or so before High tide so by the time you turn at the 1500m point there should be some help for the 2300m back (don't quote me on that).

Much of the bike course is on smaller B roads with average surfaces. There's a couple of very rough sections but otherwise it's not too bad. Plenty of opportunities to get into the aero position and only a handful of places you really need to slow down. The course changed from the 2019 to the 2022 event and is certainly a bit easier as it has 200m less elevation overall, but it's still a solid tough enough course so ease into it. If it's windy then it'll be against you, but at some point the wind will help as its a loop. Stay positive!
They have the videoed course on Fulgaz (get yourself a 2 week trial) so you could have a look at that to see the hills and turns and whatnot.

The support is incredible regardless of the weather. The whole town and all the smaller villages come out to cheer you on and encourage, but the crowds on Windmill Hill are next level insane...and you get to do that bit twice at the very end of each lap.

The run is basically flat with one small slope on each lap for 100-200metres.

The town and the people of Youghal and the East Cork area are very very welcoming to everyone doing the race, and the majority are happy to host, as it has often been the neglected part of Cork tourism.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

Cead Mile Failte
Last edited by: Mart.S: Aug 11, 23 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cork - 2 weeks Away [Mart.S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks @Mart.S, extremely helpful. given the unpredictable weather i may need you to provide another rundown of the forecast in ten days...:)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cork - 2 weeks Away [Britri1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not racing this year but I went over from the US in 2019 and 2022 and you are in for a treat because it's an excellent race. The swim last year was perfect and the tide assist on the longer section helped me to my fastest Ironman swim. Water temp was perfect. Bike ride is challenging but fun and beautiful and Windmill Hill was really hard but also kind of fun with all the people there cheering. Run also had tons of support. I've done quite a few races in a lot of different places and that town really gets behind the race and supports everyone. It feels rare these days that you go to a town for an Ironman and the majority of the locals actually seem excited for you to be there but that was definitely the case there. As mentioned though, be prepared for almost any weather! And have a great time. I'd do that race every year if I could.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cork - 2 weeks Away [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two swim deaths today, absolutely horrendous . RIP

https://www.thejournal.ie/...man-6147214-Aug2023/
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cork - 2 weeks Away [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Questions need to be asked of IM today.

They moved the 70.3 to today due to weather yesterday, awful swim conditions today, added numbers in the water due to full & 70.3 happening together, IM obviously recognised there was issues as they shortened the swim.

Was there enough support in the water for the number of athletes and conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cork - 2 weeks Away [Boston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's awful. It's a wonderful venue that rivals Tenby in regards to atmosphere. But the waters are harsh and exposed and probably too many people in there at one time.
Quote Reply