Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM CHOO CHOO Swim
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know whether the swim will be wetsuit legal? I have had a cool summer up here, but sure looks down there was a pretty warm one.
If this is not a wetsuit legal swim, will any participant volunteer to carry me on their back? I weigh 135lbs :)
Present temperature helps!

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [Kaush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the temperature but I heard the snakes are pretty bad this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone KNOWS at this point, but everyone seems pretty confident the temperature is gonna be close. Unless something drastically changes I am planning on heading to the swim start with my wetsuit and swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I don't think anyone knows for sure, but if someone local knows anything from experience would really help.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since my new wetsuit just arrived today you can count on a non-wetsuit swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kaush wrote:
Ya, I don't think anyone knows for sure, but if someone local knows anything from experience would really help.

Cheers

The OWS group there said early on that they seriously doubted that it would be wetsuit legal that time of the year. Last I heard, the water was low 80's. That was a couple of weeks ago. The evenings have been cooler and I don't know the temp of the water they release from the dam. It should have dropped, I will bring both a wetsuit and swimskin….but am doubting it will be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC usually finds a way, if its close
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kaush wrote:
Does anyone know whether the swim will be wetsuit legal? I have had a cool summer up here, but sure looks down there was a pretty warm one.
If this is not a wetsuit legal swim, will any participant volunteer to carry me on their back? I weigh 135lbs :) Present temperature helps! Thanks in advance

Well, since it is an all-downstream swim, you should be able just to float along w/o the wetsuit and finish w/o even swimming more than a few strokes:)

"IRONMAN Chattanooga will begin with a point to point, 2.4-mile swim in the Tennessee River with ample spectator vantage points alongside the city's famous Riverwalk. Athletes can look forward to a fast, down-current swim."

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#ixzz3CmZsKXhr

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year, I think someone here on ST went out and checked the river the day registration opened last year and it was 76 or 77 if I remember correctly. If that is the case, they will find a cold spot somewhere.

My pool in Charlotte is already starting to fall with the cooler nights and shorter days. With the forecast next week dropping into the mid 50's at night in Chatt, the water will start cooling pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have races and OWS in the river throughout the summer. People have reported wicked fast time, but that's with the dam flowing at it's normal rate. They've already said that the dam will be shut off during race day. This is not to say that there won't be any flow. It's a river after all. Anyone expecting to just float down stream ala IM NY will be in for a big surprise.

ericmulk wrote:
Kaush wrote:
If this is not a wetsuit legal swim, will any participant volunteer to carry me on their back? I weigh 135lbs :) Present temperature helps! Thanks in advance

Well, since it is an all-downstream swim, you should be able just to float along w/o the wetsuit and finish w/o even swimming more than a few strokes:)

"IRONMAN Chattanooga will begin with a point to point, 2.4-mile swim in the Tennessee River with ample spectator vantage points alongside the city's famous Riverwalk. Athletes can look forward to a fast, down-current swim."

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#ixzz3CmZsKXhr

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
They've already said that the dam will be shut off during race day.

I can assure you that Ironman has about as much say with the Army Corp of Engineers and TVA as I do. If they need to release water they will. If they don't, they won't.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be silly. No one is saying that WTC is telling what TVA what to do or what it can or can't do. All of the agencies have come together to make the shutoff decision, way ahead of time.

1. TVA has already agreed to shut down the dam
2. The race occurs during the period when TVA normally does its yearly maintenance. TVA is not going out of its way or doing anything out of the ordinary to shut down the dam for this race. If this race didn't occur, the flow rate would still be minimum.
3. TVA will release water if there is a run of rainstorms that requires it to increase the flow

bwain wrote:
zoom wrote:
They've already said that the dam will be shut off during race day.

I can assure you that Ironman has about as much say with the Army Corp of Engineers and TVA as I do. If they need to release water they will. If they don't, they won't.

Quote | Reply
to your #3 point...like I said, "If they need to release water they will. If they don't, they won't."
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread from ST last Sept 28th someone posted swimmers pulled the water temp at 78 that week. I don't know the weather leading up to that and don't care to research it, so I would guess it will be within a couple degrees +or-.

Wetsuit will be legal to wear most likely but it will be close if its legal for awards and KQ.

I wont be placing or KQ'ing so I'm not sure yet if I will wear on over 76*.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robin, run wrote:
Unless something drastically changes I am planning on heading to the swim start with my wetsuit and swimskin.

I've said this before, but after what happened at 2013 Raleigh 70.3, I'm taking my wetsuit and swimskin to the race start that morning no matter what anybody says, anywhere, at any time.

That being said, I do hope they use the Augusta 70.3 thermometer (it only goes up to 76.1)

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is they will find a cold spot if it's close at all, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a sudden and slight need to "release" some water on race day. With all the uproar about 4 extra bike miles and less time available to complete this course it seems like the smartest business decision for all parties involved, WTC, Chattanooga and the state of Tennessee. It seems like IM's with well documented fast swims are much easier sells, just my .02.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chilybil23 wrote:
My guess is they will find a cold spot if it's close at all, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a sudden and slight need to "release" some water on race day. With all the uproar about 4 extra bike miles and less time available to complete this course it seems like the smartest business decision for all parties involved, WTC, Chattanooga and the state of Tennessee. It seems like IM's with well documented fast swims are much easier sells, just my .02.

The well being of individuals all along the river basin will be the deciding factor for TVA. The fact that there is an Ironman race in Chattanooga will have a miniscule effect in the decision making proces, at best.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the Russians can have a mold inside the CIA ... WTC can have an intern working at the dam :)

Quote | Reply
Russian mold inside the CIA? That's serious stuff!

Last edited by: godaddygo: Sep 10, 14 5:00
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
robin, run wrote:
Unless something drastically changes I am planning on heading to the swim start with my wetsuit and swimskin.

I've said this before, but after what happened at 2013 Raleigh 70.3, I'm taking my wetsuit and swimskin to the race start that morning no matter what anybody says, anywhere, at any time.

That being said, I do hope they use the Augusta 70.3 thermometer (it only goes up to 76.1)

Yes, Raleigh 2013 definitely taught me the same lesson. Never give up hope that WTC will do whatever it can to make a swim wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on water temp?

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:

Cheers!

No. But a buddy of mine who is a 90 minute flat water swimmer did it in 64 minutes on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously? What time of day?
Old Hickory wrote:
ktm520 wrote:

Cheers!

No. But a buddy of mine who is a 90 minute flat water swimmer did it in 64 minutes on Sunday.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: IM CHOO CHOO Swim [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rowan Jones wrote:
Seriously? What time of day?
Old Hickory wrote:
ktm520 wrote:

Cheers!

What time of day? Was it during the dam release? http://www.tva.gov/lakes/chh_o.htm

Janyne
Quote Reply

Prev Next