Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Boulder wetsuit cluster
Quote | Reply
Would be nice to get a consistent rule on wetsuit verses non wetsuit swims. I think it should either be wetsuit legal OR not. Race rules need to be clear ahead of time. If you can't do the swim without a wet suit don't sign up for the race. IM Boulder swim was a complete cluster with half the field wearing wet suits in a 'non wet suit' legal race. Seems like a hassle for the timing team to figure out who wore wetsuits and who didn't. Is it possible someone could slip through the cracks and got a Kona spot?

Personally I think wetsuits should be allowed at any temp. That way there is no concern about cutoff temps etc and athletes can decide beforehand what they will use and train accordingly. If you get too hot in a wetsuit then don't wear one or use a sleeveless or cut off the legs of a sleeveless etc, etc. I was very cold at the end of IM Boulder swim. I even get cold in the swim at Kona. How about some love for us 'cold' swimmers!! I really don't mind swimming cold though just would be nice to see a consistent rule.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder wetsuit cluster [cchesney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I think wetsuits should be allowed at any temp. That way there is no concern about cutoff temps etc and athletes can decide beforehand what they will use and train accordingly. If you get too hot in a wetsuit then don't wear one or use a sleeveless or cut off the legs of a sleeveless etc, etc.
-----------
This is my thinking too.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't at Boulder, but don't all athletes that wish to wear a wetsuit start at the same time?

wouldn't that mean all those that wore a wetsuit would be in the same swim start chip timing and easily referenced later?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cchesney wrote:
Would be nice to get a consistent rule on wetsuit verses non wetsuit swims. I think it should either be wetsuit legal OR not. Race rules need to be clear ahead of time. If you can't do the swim without a wet suit don't sign up for the race. IM Boulder swim was a complete cluster with half the field wearing wet suits in a 'non wet suit' legal race. Seems like a hassle for the timing team to figure out who wore wetsuits and who didn't. Is it possible someone could slip through the cracks and got a Kona spot?

Personally I think wetsuits should be allowed at any temp. That way there is no concern about cutoff temps etc and athletes can decide beforehand what they will use and train accordingly. If you get too hot in a wetsuit then don't wear one or use a sleeveless or cut off the legs of a sleeveless etc, etc. I was very cold at the end of IM Boulder swim. I even get cold in the swim at Kona. How about some love for us 'cold' swimmers!! I really don't mind swimming cold though just would be nice to see a consistent rule.

Curt, like you at 76F I get hypothermic after around 2K. At IM Texas I was shaking pretty badly at the tale end of the swim, but it took all of 5 min on the bike to get warm, but if the air temp was different 76F cut off would be bad for me. I would prefer 78F cut off for all (or maybe 80). But I can see the value of wetsuit optional to keep new athletes entering the sport. I do think that FOP guys vying for Kona etc should be able to compete no wetsuit a some reasonable cut off. I don't know what that is. Maybe when I am 65-69 and my circulation is already worse than it is, I would need 80F so it is a tough call. A low body fat older small male who swims slow (like 90+ min) will have a different tolerance

Congrats on your race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would concur with you on this.

Also, I had a ton of fun trying to make it to swim start through the folks in the wetsuits that didn't seem to be moving.

BTW - congrats on a great race!

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder wetsuit cluster [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thinking assumes that a triathlete has some kind of entitlement to wear a wetsuit. I thought the whole point was that you could only wear a wetsuit if it was potentially too cold to not wear one, ie for the purpose of safety. I never thought a triathlete was able to wear one by default, but then if the water is warm they ban it to "protect" you. That seems a bit backwards.

Saying this as somebody who dreads the non-wetsuit swim....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder wetsuit cluster [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thinking assumes that a triathlete has some kind of entitlement to wear a wetsuit. I thought the whole point was that you could only wear a wetsuit if it was potentially too cold to not wear one, ie for the purpose of safety. I never thought a triathlete was able to wear one by default, but then if the water is warm they ban it to "protect" you. That seems a bit backwards.

Saying this as somebody who dreads the non-wetsuit swim....
--------
I've never heard this but what do I know.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply