Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Arizona
Quote | Reply
Is this race good for a first time Iron distance? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I am from SC with no hills and warm water. I have been doing tris for about 4 years with the longest distance a 1/2. I want to step up to this distance and want to have a good experience.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [551017] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of IMAZ. It is one of my favorite races. I have done both of them so far and I am registered to do it again next April. I think that it would be a good race for a first time participant.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Can you give me any details? I understand the swim is in a lake. How is the water clarity? I also understand it is cold water do most people use a full wet suit or just a farmer john. The bike profile doesnt look bad is it a loop coarse and the run how is it. Sorry for asking so much I just want to make sure what to expect before I pay to enter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim is a single loop, you start out by swimming straight into the sun, people complain about the water clarity, but it seems just like any other lake swim to me. Getting out of the water requires climbing up a series of steps.

The bike is a multi-loop course. in 2005 in was 3.5 loops and last year it was 3 loops. Some people complain about that but I personally like it. It was helpful in pacing for me. Also I had not scouted the course prior to the race and with each loop I was more familiar with the surroundings which I liked. It can be windy. The 2005 race was one of the windiest races I have ever done.

The run was 2 loops in 2005 and 3 loops in 2006. I liked the 3 loop course better. It is good for spectators and you get to see people that you know watching the race more frequently.

As with all IMNA races it is very well organized and supported by the community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - I only have IM Coeur d'Alene and Full Vineman as comparison points. I've done IMAZ twice, and am signed up for 2007. I really like the race. Is it the ideal location for a race? No. I'm sure there are much more scenic venues. But there is just something about it that I really like. It's very close to a major airport, so transportation and lodging are simple. there are plenty of diversions in the city, so that you can get away from the IM hype in the days preceeding. It's a one loop swim. It's very spectator friendly. Yes, it's a multiple loop bike course, but it is also a flat and fast bike course.

The biggest drawback is the run course. In 2005 it was really nice, with the loop out through Papago park. But, for whatever reason, they dropped that in favor of a 3 loop course around the canal...er, lake. It was terribly boring. But, it's also relatively flat.

I always advocate Vineman as a good first time IM because of the lack of crowds. I've done Vineman twice and both times there were only a few hundred people. So, you have a lot of room to spread out. Plus, you don't have all the hype of the M-Dot organization, and a lot less of the over-amped athletes as well. But, if really want to do an m-dot as your first, then I'd say IMAZ would be a good fit. I think you'll either love it or hate it afterwards, but there is only one way to find out.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a great race. The climate is very dry and this year it was hot. Swim is in a canal with really easy sighting. Much easier than an ocean swim or big lake where you can't see the shore.

The ride has a gradual gain on the way out that seems to very slowly wear you down due to no downhill on which to recover. But there are no significant climbs. If you pace well then it shouldn't be bad. My guess is that the course is a bit tougher than FL but much easier than something like LP or CdA.

Great race for spectators too. You go by the main start/finish area about ever 1.5-2 hours on the bike, much less than that on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also did IMAZ last year and have signed up again for '07. I thought it was a great race...very well run, great volunteers, supportive community, etc. It's also easy to get to (Pheonix Airport is a 10 minute cab ride).

This is a great race for your first IM. I think I remember them announcing a very high percentage of first timers.

The water temp was fine. I wore a DeSoto longsleeve and was actually a little warm. I'll be using a shortsleeve next time. It was a little murky (Town "Lake" is actually more like a resevoir). Sighting was relatively easy - just point yourself at the bridge and keep the concrete walls on your right. Everybody seemed to be spaced out and self-seeded appropriately. I don't recall being knocked around too badly. The sun can be a problem. Bring your tinted goggles.

I stayed at the Host Hotel and while a little on the pricey side, it is the best in terms of location. I think it's the only hotel walking distance to the Transition areas/IM villiage, registration, etc). My family enjoyed being able to go back and forth to the hotel to eat, rest, swim, etc during the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm another one who did it in 2006 and signed up again for 2007. I think it's a great race. After stressing over finding a place to stay in Lake Placid and about the cost of flights into Panama City, it's nice to not worry about things like that. I mean, the race is in Phoenix! The IM takes over the town of Lake Placid completely, but we don't even make a dent in Phoenix. Plenty of hotel rooms, and a real airport close by, very nice.

I really liked the course as well. It's the ultimate spectator course. No, it's not that scenic, but I don't ususally do much sight seeing during a race. Swimming into the sun sucked, but it's only a mile. The setting of the transition area in a large, nice park is cool. Good race. Keep in mind that I had the flu during the 2006 race, so my race absolutely sucked, but I'm still going back and have good things to say about it.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMAZ this year for my first IM race, and am also signed up for next year. I had a great experience - the volunteers were fantastic, and I really enjoyed coming through the transition area on each loop of the run. My family and friends were able to move about easily on the run course allowing us to see each other many times. The only thing predictable about the wind on the bike course is that it will always be blowing, you just don't know in what direction. I did not find the wind to be a problem this year during the race, but it was pretty strong the first year. You can't see past your hand in Tempe Town Lake, but as previous posts stated, the "lake" is pretty narrow so it is easy to site on the side walls and the bridges ahead of you. I've worn a sleeveless wetsuit every time that I've been in the lake and have been fine. We got a room at the Tempe Courtyard by Marriot for race day so that my family could go back and forth during the race. Not as close as the host hotel, but still within walking distace of the finish line and transition area. I think IMAZ is a great first race.

Where in SC do you live? I have family in Spartanburg.
Quote Reply