Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs
Quote | Reply
So who is going to go sub 8 today? Lionel has been putting in a bunch of 5+ hour rides on his eMotion rollers prepping for Arizona after a disappointment in Kona. Brent McMahon had a bad marathon in Kona too. Both will want a bit of revenge on 140.6 since neither really got beaten by each other, they got beaten by the 140.6 miles. (yes, I am Canadian so I realize there are many more in this race but I'm hoping for one of them)!

Pete Jacobs and TJ Tollakson are in the field. I hope both have a great race and would be quite happy to see either of them take out my Canadian favourites too. You never know what Pete "might" crank out when he is in the field. Look what he did this year at Cairns
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 20, 16 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
45.31 for the first swimmer (Rafael Goncalves Brazil). That's the swim benchmark. Brent was 3rd out ~3 min back
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I just heard that Sanders was out of the water in that big pack...if so, looks like a really good swim for him.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Oyster wrote:
Thought I just heard that Sanders was out of the water in that big pack...if so, looks like a really good swim for him.

53.45 for LIonel, ~ 5 min back from Brent and 4 min from TJ and Pete Jacobs. I am hoping that TJ and Lionel can tag team at some point in the future today and help each other.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53:45 for Sanders...not bad. Looks like a fast swim today for a lot of guys, but only 5 mins back of Brent and 6+ from Chabrot. Game on boys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big pack was at 49, that Rafael dude must have blown up the lead swimmers. Looks like 12 guys in that group with 3 more off the front. Lionel came out in high 53, so 8 minutes off the leader, but only 4 off of those 15 guys. Gonna be a tough day again for him, but he will have lots and lots of little goals in front of him to catch, once the main group begins to break a bit..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like Lionel proportionally lost a bit "less" to Brent compared to 70.3 World's however, I would think there are more "lesser swimmers" for him to have company in a non championship race. In championship race, he gets very few to draft in the swim and ends up pulling his own water (largely). My guess is that its not like his swim or tactics got better in 2 months, it's just who else is around him. That's a problem he'll need to resolve for the championship events.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
The big pack was at 49, that Rafael dude must have blown up the lead swimmers. Looks like 12 guys in that group with 3 more off the front. Lionel came out in high 53, so 8 minutes off the leader, but only 4 off of those 15 guys. Gonna be a tough day again for him, but he will have lots and lots of little goals in front of him to catch, once the main group begins to break a bit..

Also on loop 3 of the bike they are lapping age groupers, so the pros have some slingshot benefit and if your legs are doing well, you can really take advantage of those small breaks in wind resistance. Maybe Jordan can comment on what impact that has on the leaders and chasers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like Lionel proportionally lost a bit "less" to Brent compared to 70.3 World's however, I would think there are more "lesser swimmers" for him to have company in a non championship race//

Two things, this is of course a wetsuit swim which helps Lionel proportionally more than the other men pros, and the field is quite deep for a non championship race. There were some well defined swim packs, and Lionel was right in the 3rd group out. In fact either he led that group, or there was a longish run where he ran past everyone, as it shows him with the fastest split among them. So he definitely got to swim with some dudes he usually doesn't get to, so I would say there was some improvement in his swim since Hawaii. Probably not in speed, but in OW tactics I would guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's the weather looking?

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least there's not a train grouped together ahead of Lionel although Brent seems to have chosen a stud to follow.

TOP 20 Pro Men - Thru Bike Split 2 - 19 mi

1 1:38:28 Cameron Wurf
2 1:39:35 1:07 Tj Tollakson
3 1:39:54 1:26 Giulio Molinari
4 1:40:09 1:41 Philip Graves
5 1:40:10 1:42 Brent McMahon
6 1:40:40 2:12 Joe Gambles
7 1:40:43 2:15 Per Bittner
8 1:41:36 3:08 Rafael Goncalves
9 1:43:42 5:14 Lionel Sanders
10 1:45:31 7:03 Jordan Bryden
11 1:45:35 7:07 Adam O'Meara
12 1:45:37 7:09 Jose Estrangeiro
13 1:46:21 7:53 Pedro Gomes
14 1:46:23 7:55 David Plese
15 1:47:03 8:35 Vinicio Ibarra
16 1:47:23 8:56 Pete Jacobs
17 1:47:36 9:08 Tripp Hipple
18 1:47:44 9:16 Thomas Gerlach
19 1:47:55 9:27 Jesse Vondracek
20 1:48:00 9:33 Chad Holderbaum

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, nice to see local boy Adam Omeara in the mix! Haven't seen his name in a long time. Before he went pro he was my run coach at a few running clinics, really nice guy.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is cloudy which will keep the heat down. Could be some rain later in the day. High will be around 75. 61 and not a breath of wind at my house. Humidity is higher than normal.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel did not make it to bike check #4 at 38mi?

Gone right out of the top 20?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Lionel did not make it to bike check #4 at 38mi?

Gone right out of the top 20?

They did show a picture of him going through so perhaps a chip non-read?

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like his chip was read at mile 47.

Hard to tell if he is gaining ground.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
Looks like his chip was read at mile 47.

Hard to tell if he is gaining ground.

If my quick head math is correct he's only 1:41 behind Brent McMahon at 47 miles. Should be exciting.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early prediction that Malindi Elmore sneaks onto the podium.

Malindi who? you may be asking - an Olympic runner:

http://canadianrunner.ca/

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he is going to back off a little bit and not try to lead this into T2. All he needs to do is ride strong but not UBER!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I think he is holding the gap. Lap 3 and the run is where the race will be decided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So much for that strategy. IM blog has him eating the gap down to 4 :xx. Either way looks like it will be a fun finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erin mentioned on Periscope this morning : the whisper was Cam Wurf is looking to break the bike record. Hope Lionel doesn't try to keep up with Cam, rather, save the legs for a great run
Last edited by: Kayastah: Nov 20, 16 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [Kayastah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 65 miles Lionel is only 3:24 behind Cam.

Last edited by: sciguy: Nov 20, 16 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Live: Post Kona Brent vs Lionel vs vs vs [Kayastah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at exactly 1/2 way they are riding exactly the same time thus far. Cam is going to have to hump it if he wants the record, at least if he wants it for more than a couple minutes. Lionel has a lot of guys to chase still and I imagine his back half will be a solid ride. Of course the lead Moto could be a factor once they start really lapping AG'ers. Could be a lot of compression of bike lenghts while trying to clear a path for the leader.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No news on Jacobs? He isn't appearing in the splits
Quote Reply

Prev Next