Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3
Quote | Reply
I went to register for IM 70.3 Chattanooga today and saw it sold out on Wednesday. Looking for thoughts and recommendations on these races or if I should make the drive to IMFL 70.3? Thanks in advance for the feedback
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [ironcraig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nola is an ok race. Swim is protected and easy. Bike isn't all that scenic but is flat and fast. Run is direct sun out and back. I've done this race on 3 occasions and probably leaning toward doing Galveston this year. I have heard that Galveston is a great course and possibly a better body of water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcraig wrote:
I went to register for IM 70.3 Chattanooga today and saw it sold out on Wednesday. Looking for thoughts and recommendations on these races or if I should make the drive to IMFL 70.3? Thanks in advance for the feedback

I'm debating this myself. Where I live, they two races are equal distance. NOLA is discounted this weekend only (although it was discounted a few weeks ago too). I did NOLA in 2014 and enjoyed it. Flat, fast course. Yes it was hot, but I live in KS and I've suffered far more. I've heard mixed reviews about Galveston...both good and bad, enough to make me think the two races are comparable. Both are managed my PEM, which (based on my experience) is a good thing as they run an organized ship.

I'm leaning toward NOLA in 2016 and the $50 discount is an enticement. I also have a thing for doing races twice, if I can.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think PEM does Galveston 70.3, they do another event there (5150?).....
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and sign up for New Orleans. Didn't know about the discount, so I'll jump on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both, and Galveston is the better event.

Swim:
NO is in a marina, the water is 30% gasoline. Odd Z-shaped course, sighting a bit tricky, but not horrible. Was wetsuit legal the year I did it.
TX is in a bay. More of a standard shaped course. Was not wetsuit legal this year, but that's mainly b/c it was pushed back two weeks (for this year only). It should be wetsuit legal as it moves back to early/mid April.

Bike:
Both course are flat and fast. Heat, humidity and wind are the likely challenges on both courses. Roads conditions are better at TX, but they weren't horrible in NO (per my memory). The year I did NO, they closed all the roads, which was very nice. But car traffic is not bad at TX.

Run:
NO is an out-and-back. I think they changed the course so that it at least finishes back at T1/T2. Mostly flat, but run across a bridge twice that is quite a little climb. Not spectator friendly.
TX is 3 loops through Moody Gardens, flat as a pancake, very spectator friendly.

Logistics:
TX wins this one easily. The NO race is nowhere near anything, and it sucks for spectators. At TX, you can stay right there at Moody Gardens and walk to/from the race, or at any number of very nearby hotels, beach houses, etc.

I didn't dislike NO. I went to college there and love the city, food, etc. I just think TX is a better race.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SusanH wrote:
I don't think PEM does Galveston 70.3, they do another event there (5150?).....

PEM does not organize Galveston. It's run by WTC.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, Great info. Now I'm on the fence again! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcraig wrote:

Looks like were in the same situation, though I tried to register Wednesday night after not having time to register that morning.

I'm leaning towards NOLA, I just want an early season hit out, might be a solo trip for me as well so looking to share a room if anyone wants.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
I've done both, and Galveston is the better event.

Swim:
NO is in a marina, the water is 30% gasoline. Odd Z-shaped course, sighting a bit tricky, but not horrible. Was wetsuit legal the year I did it.
TX is in a bay. More of a standard shaped course. Was not wetsuit legal this year, but that's mainly b/c it was pushed back two weeks (for this year only). It should be wetsuit legal as it moves back to early/mid April.

Bike:
Both course are flat and fast. Heat, humidity and wind are the likely challenges on both courses. Roads conditions are better at TX, but they weren't horrible in NO (per my memory). The year I did NO, they closed all the roads, which was very nice. But car traffic is not bad at TX.

Run:
NO is an out-and-back. I think they changed the course so that it at least finishes back at T1/T2. Mostly flat, but run across a bridge twice that is quite a little climb. Not spectator friendly.
TX is 3 loops through Moody Gardens, flat as a pancake, very spectator friendly.

Logistics:
TX wins this one easily. The NO race is nowhere near anything, and it sucks for spectators. At TX, you can stay right there at Moody Gardens and walk to/from the race, or at any number of very nearby hotels, beach houses, etc.

I didn't dislike NO. I went to college there and love the city, food, etc. I just think TX is a better race.

I don't think I can disagree with anything in this entire post. While I love NO, the race is so "not NO" and really isn't anywhere near the French Quarter, Garden District, etc. If it was based on race alone, Galveston would probably be the choice for me. The only down side to Galveston is that the bike is 28 miles out and 28 straight back..flat as a pancake, just a few slight bends in the road, and a probable headwind one way or the other.

If you are planning on staying in the city and enjoying some time when not racing, then NO may go back to the top. If its only a race trip, Galveston probably is better. Swim is MUCH better, run is better (particularly if you have spectators there with you), Bike may be some better in NO since you get a bit more variety in scenery.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [jgrissom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All Good info. Just signed up for TX!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do these two races typically fill up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call. Did both. Have done TX 70.3 2x and will do it again in 2016. Was a once and done at NO.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX 70.3 vs IMNO 70.3 [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
When do these two races typically fill up?

In 2014, TX sold out in January (if I remember correctly) . Just before I was able to sign up. So, I registered for NOLA which was one week later and worked with my training plan. I don't believe NOLA sells out.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply