Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP or other IM focused individuals
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to do a 1/2 IM - 7 weeks prior to LP. (I'm guessing I'm not the only one in this scenario)

What have the experienced folks found to be the best plan for tapering (for the 1/2 IM)?

My 'focus' race is the IM, but I'd like to do well and get some pacing concerns worked out in the 1/2.

Is 1 week (of say 40% volume and intensity) going to cut it, or?
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP or other IM focused individuals [seejimrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you mean Eagleman, you'll find a lot of folks that do IMLP also do Eagleman since they're in the same region. I'm doing both and both are 'A' races, with Eagleman being my second 1/2 of the season. I'm also doing a 40K TT the weekend before Eagleman, so I'll take the week between as a recovery/taper week. Nothing hard, just some aerobic work and no weights (my weight program FINALLY ends on 6 June).

My advice is to race it and focus on getting a feel for nutrition and pacing, take a couple of days off, then get back into your IMLP training.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP or other IM focused individuals [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries, you can definitely do both. Makes for a nice long-course dress rehearsal of the nutrition plan and clothing (and sunscreen).

There will be plenty of people there racing both - makes perfect sense to do so.

I raced a 1/2 IM three weeks before my first IM in 1998. I didn't race it hard at all, but by that point, it was just a nice way to get in the taper miles with full support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the intesity, drop the volume as race week unfolds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm planning to do a 1/2 IM - 7 weeks prior to LP. (I'm guessing I'm not the only one in this scenario)

What have the experienced folks found to be the best plan for tapering (for the 1/2 IM)?

My 'focus' race is the IM, but I'd like to do well and get some pacing concerns worked out in the 1/2.

Is 1 week (of say 40% volume and intensity) going to cut it, or?

Personally if the IM was my A race. 7 weeks prior I would be into the last build up to the "A" race. So the half would only be a "C" race. Meaning very little to no taper (i.e. light or rest day before race.).

HIM pace and IM pace are completely different. You are not going to work anything out pacing wise for an IM racing a HIM. So threat the race like a hard workout and go for it.

If you have IM pacing concerns. Do a long day race sim. Go for a hour or swim. Jump on the bike (loaded with your race day nutrition) and bike 112 miles (no stopping or very little; you want to sim. race day riding) at your IM pace using your raceday nutrition. See how you feel at the end of the ride. If you really feel like crap you know you went out too fast. You'll learn more from a IM race pace ride on your own than from a HIM race. Two or three race sim. workouts over the course of your training plan will help you figure out race day pacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No taper and treat it as a training day.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP or other IM focused individuals [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I trained through Eagleman last year leading up to LP and am doing the same this year. Assuming that IMLP is your A race, E-man probably isn't. Use it to test your equipment and nutrition, etc and as a long training day.

K
Quote Reply