Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP Race Report
Quote | Reply
This was my first Ironman in only my second year of triathlon. So yes, I admit it I am one of those lame people who signed up before I knew what I was really getting into. Actually I thought of signing up even before I did my first sprint tri just 13 months earlier. In the year preparation for the Ironman I raced another sprint, 2 olympics, 2 HIM and 1 very long day at EpicMan.

Leading into the race I found the taper very disturbing. I kept waiting for my body to rebound with a burst of energy that would never come. The day before the race I decided that I would survive the swim, bike well on the course and run by heart rate for as long as I could. I used my watch for the HRM feature but did not start the stopwatch or never looked back at the time during the day. After doing EpicMan I knew I would finish but was unsure of my time, my outside goal was to break 12 hours.

Race morning

Actually slept fairly well (for me) and got up for a 3 boost and 1 rice pudding breakfast. It was rainy and cold at the transition area and my wetsuit was on early.

Swim

I started about 20 feet from the very far side. Two minutes before the start and I was surprised that no one was crowding around me about 10 rows back from the front. Had a chuckle when Joe Jock was pleading for everyone not to have a rugby match in the water and how he will "bring it" if necessary. Cannon caught me by surprise and I wait a few seconds and start swimming. I kept waiting for the contact but it never came for the entire first lap. I just followed those around me and swam - never even sighted on the course. Ended up going around the bouys wide and completed the first lap in 31:29, a shock. With this I started the second lap and went straight for the line. What a mistake, the second lap was brutal the entire way and was over 2 minutes slower but came out of the water in sub 1:05.

T1

First Ironman, first tent transition. It was confusing running into the tent and trying to find a place to sit. I much prefer to have everything laid out then dumping a bag on the ground and putting things on. 7+ minutes - a little long.

Bike

I biked the loop about 7 times previously so I knew the course fairly well. First loop started easy up the first climb. 15 minutes into the bike my adductor started acting up again and had to use creative positioning to be comfortable. Down into Keane I kept my speed in check as I experienced a speed wobble that scared the %#$ out of me about a month prior. Other than that, uneventful except for being passed left and right - I would guess by about 3-400 people. Ride time 3:02 Second loop was much of the same except I was now in a steady pack until the climb into Wilmington. At this point I started passing people with regularity, it was actually fun to pass people on the hills (not something I ever do with my 180 lb frame). Second loop ride time was a 3:05.

T2

I love the fact they rack your bike for you. Run into the bathroom then onto the run course. Change tent almost empty this time and total time ~4 minutes.

Run

My plan was to run by heart rate and see where it takes me. I really wanted to run the first loop and see where that leads me. Pace was good to start and was surprised at the number of people walking in the first few miles. Stomach was not in great condition and would get worse with more salt so backed off for a while. At 8 miles my stomach started to come around. Just concentrated on keeping an even pace. At the 12 mile mark I could start to feel my quads burn. I finished the first half running and still felt well so next was to continue running to the turn-around on River Road. Slapped the 'dirty' gold medal for luck and pleaded with my quads to stop burning. Nearing the turn-around I changed my 'allowed to walk spot' to 20 miles. Actually missed the 20 mile marker so changed it to 22. At 22 miles I wanted to run it in. Coming up the last hill into Lake Placid took its toll and my hamstring cramped soon after. I was disappointed that I would have to walk with only a mile and a half left still not knowing my time. Slapped, rubbed and yelled at my hamstring to loosen up I was able to start running again at a reduced pace. Out to the final turn-around on Lake Placid drive and I started to feel lousy very quickly but there was less than a mile left. Run/shuffled my way into the Oval. Saw my wife at the side and gave her a high-five (only to find out later that she was there to run with me) and took off for the final stretch. I was ecstatic to see the clock coming to the tape in 11:25. The race could not have been better but I am still very sore.

Nutrition

I cannot say enough good things about Infinit Nutrition. This stuff is amazing - there is no way I could have done this race feeling great to end without it. I used a concentrated bottle and 1 Clif bar (for substance) per loop and only took water from the aid stations. On the run I used water, gatorade at each station with some salt and about 6-8 Gu's.

Here is a picture of me in the swim ;)

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Race Report [cmsc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great report :) also nice pic of you in the swim, it's amazing that you got a picture of yourself in the water all alone, now i know what you look like and can find you at your next race :)

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you the guy on the far shore in the middle of the picture facing backwards who looks like he just wants to get the hell out of there? :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Race Report [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahahaha, that's absolutely priceless.

"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Race Report [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have a good time hanging out at LP Ted? I hope you got some good workouts in.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had a pretty good time, i didnt do any running or swimming, although i would have like to have swam with the wave, maybe next year i'll just suit up and make it to the swim, but i did manage to get a solid 10 mile ride in trading drafts with a friend of mine who is also racing elite with me this season, we rode the 10 miles in around 21 minutes which we were pretty damn satisfied with. all in all a fun day though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, congrats on your race! Nice time for a tough course.

And don't be ashamed about your path to Ironman, I signed up for IMFL before I even owned a bike or knew what a transition was :)

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a year! Congrats on your stellar first time IM!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great picture. I was lined up right around that area as well. I also heard Joe Jock pleading for peace but I missed his comment on "bringing it". That would have made me laugh out loud.

I thought I would swim the course in just over an hour so people kept telling me to move up until I suddenly found myself in the second row. Things got quite chaotic for awhile up there when the cannon went off.

I had the same experience with the buoy line on the second lap. I wondered if the difficulty in seeing the cable because of the cloud cover forced everyone closer. In the end, I headed to the outside and hit the beach one minute past the hour.

Sounds like you had a great race. Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy with hands coming up for the choke hold signal. Ugh, No. I am the one swimming!
Quote Reply