Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP - Training Ride - Spots to re-fuel
Quote | Reply
Hi - I am heading to Lake Placid this weekend for a training ride on the course. I have never been there so I need some logistical help....Are there convenience stores along the route where I can stop to refuel (buy Gatorade / Water / "stuff") or should I plant bottles along the way. I am planning on starting with 3 full bottles but with the high temps expected, I will definitely need to stop to re-fuel.. If there are stores - what is the estimated mile markers of these?

Thanks in advance for your help...

<insert clever motivational thing here>
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP - Training Ride - Spots to re-fuel [onyourleftagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right at the out and back section you hit a gas station so you can either stop before or after you complete the out and back. i can't remember what mile it is but my guess is about 30. if you're doing 2 laps of the course, you could also refuel back in town at the completion of the first 56.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a gas station/convenience store when you get to the haselton rd. out-and-back where you can pick up water/gatorade/etc. if you start and end at mirror lake, that spot is about 14 miles from the completion of the loop, and i think the haselton out-and-back is about 7 miles each way, so that gas station is about mile 28 along the route. 3 bottles should be plenty for the whole loop, but unless you have arizona desert type of heat, you should at least be able to get to the gas station without any worries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is only a 56 mile loop and there are at least two small towns/stores/gas stations at fairly even intervals. I would guess that most of them are not open late, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like others said...the out and back at hasleton rd is the spot...I would say about 30 miles in...3 bottles should be good for one loop though unless the heat kicks up really high. When we rode in May, 3 bottles were more than enough, in fact I had some left over at the end fo each loop so only had to do partial refuels.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Re: IMLP - Training Ride - Spots to re-fuel [mileader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the ride last weekend. The loop is 90km, and if you factor in that convenience store in Wilmington you can use it as a stop at either the 45km mark or the 65km mark. It is at the head of the out and back, so it's very convenient (hence the term 'convenience' store).

The real meat and potatoes of the loop start at the 45km point, as the out and back section is rollers, then the final 25km is up, up, up to town. You shouldn't need anything at all before the 45km point - the first half of the course is relatively easy - but you would be well advised to stock up before the last 25km grind back up to Lake Placid, especially if it's hot and windy...you'll be climbing for at least an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi - I am heading to Lake Placid this weekend for a training ride on the course. I have never been there so I need some logistical help....Are there convenience stores along the route where I can stop to refuel (buy Gatorade / Water / "stuff") or should I plant bottles along the way. I am planning on starting with 3 full bottles but with the high temps expected, I will definitely need to stop to re-fuel.. If there are stores - what is the estimated mile markers of these?

Thanks in advance for your help...
If you are doing IMLP this year and want to do a useful practice ride, you should only plan on one stop at halfway, at your car to get food/drink for second half of the ride. You should be practicing your race day nutrition, not getting snacks in Wilmington.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Jun 14, 06 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP - Training Ride - Spots to re-fuel [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sound advice! Along Mirror Lake drive is where the special needs will be as well. Try to simulate exactly what you plan to do on race day for nutrition-if you plan on using what is on the course make sure you practice with that. If you plan on taking salt in-same. At this point it should be a dress rehearsal-a confidence builder. Ride the pace you plan to race at.

Darcy

Darcy
Quote Reply