Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMFL Race Report & Rant
Quote | Reply
This was my 2nd IM of the season. OK here goes-

Swim-There were more waves on race morning than on previous days. So this made for a slightly rougher swim than expected. Got knocked around a little on the first loop, nothing too bad. Had to fight to get to the first bouy on the second loop, I guess a lot of people decided not to go around it. Got dunked hard several times on the second loop and was forced to stop at one point to cough up some water and get my bearings. The run out of the water was a little tough. Finished a little dissapointed with 1:07

Bike-My legs were sore and it took a while to get them going. Once I felt better, I started making progress up the field. Passed a few small draft groups. Shortly after the right turn on Hwy 20, I came up to a HUGE group. I am talking 5-6 abreast, and I have no idea how many people, but it was ridiculous. Several others and I tried what we could (verbally) to break up the group. We were completely ignored. I put in an effort to leave this bunch of clowns, but the front guys upped the pace, caught and passed me shortly after I went off. The group got broken up later on by marshalls. It took a lot of miles to catch and pass most of these people, and it made me ride angry. I made the decision to ride harder than I wanted to for the remainder, just to get away from this circus. So I put my head down and went, knowing my run would probably hurt from this. I want to share with you some of the more memorable comments shot my way when pointing out to drafters that a couple inches was in NO way 3-bike lengths (sorry if people get offended):

"So what? Want to do something about it?" "Eat sh.t motherf..ker" "You need a motorbike to play marshall, stupidf..k"

"If you don't like it, why don't you get the f..k out of here?"

and the one that took the cake for me-

"Why don't you mind your own f..cking business, f..ckin guido?" -then the guy sees a sticker on my bike with my country name on it, surges to catch up to me and says- "Oh, my bad (a pause for effect): Why don't you mind your own f..cking business, you f..ckin spic?"

Nice, huh? They are just words, so, whatever. For those of you doing this next year, do expect packs on the bike (several people told me it happens every year they've done the event). Also, note the special needs station is NOT an aid station at this event. I kept my ride hard up until the last 15mi, when a noticeable headwind picked up all the way back to T2. I eased up in this last section b/c I knew I needed to save something for the run. Finished the bike in 5:01.

Run-A fast course. The first loop was hot, ran a steady pace, slower than I would have wanted. The second loop was tough, had to deal with liquid sloshing in my stomach, multiple blisters, and a hamstring that was right on the edge of cramping. Picked up some broth at mile 20-something and burned my mouth really bad (they didn't tell me it was damn hot). I managed to even split my run, 3:19, for a total of 9:34.

I walk away happy that I left it all the race, but a little annoyed a few of the names above me where drafting on purpose. Right, I don't have any solutions to offer. All I know is this kind of crap is not cool for our sport. Big thanks to my coach, Francois, for helping me put together 2 good races this year. We'll see what happens in the future.

Play fair. peace.

jc

Dad, Husband, Weekend Warrior

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [don jc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice Race!! Its hard to believe you did so good even with all those idiots out there. I used to try and police the drafters too but found it took too much effort, mae me loose focus and had no effect on the draftes so now I just try and ignore them and race my race.

Why do you think you legs were tired at the start of the Bike? Not enough taper or too much kicking on the swim?

Again congratulations on a great effort!!

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [rover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahah what dickheads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so did you go

'qual es tu problema pinche guey cabron?'

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have to admit, I am disappointed with your run...sure you even splitted it...but in CDA you neg splitted it!!!! ;-)

Great job guey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, the world is full of f**king jerks, and this sport attracts more than its fair share.

Great race, though. nice run, even with the sloshing and the blistering and cramping.

Jacob
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [rover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure, my legs were feeling really tight, almost painful. I had to soft pedal until they felt normal... I don't know why... My taper was spot-on.

In the future, I will not waste my time with drafters.

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah, I just put my head down and made sure they were not behind me.

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, and seemed you did find a way to use the crap they threw at you to motivate yourself with the anger. I remember well the same issues. Really shitty when the ones you yelled at are on the podium in front of you. I remember well, but knew I raced fair. Any ideas among the ST group if a strong e-mail campaign to GTG and Jim Ric will have any affect?

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The drafting definitely sucks. Maybe the ITU should get into long distance tris and suck off all the dipshit drafters.

Otherwise, a great race.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [tri-3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
during the pro briefing, Jimmy R made a comment in this direction...saying that he was all for a larger draft box (easier to do for the pros with a head start of course)...so I am sure that having some type of campaign would have some impact...it sure wouldn't hurt to try.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [tri-3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be a good time to put Graham Fraser, et.al., to the test of their "we do encourage and listen to your feedback..."

Of course, they could listen and still do nothing about it. Let's face it, with 2000+ folks on the course and the prevalence of dickheads and cheaters, it will be tough to universally do away with the draft-fests. Those among us who raced fair know who they are, and the dickheads who didn't know who they are as well. Ultimately what that means...well, I suppose not much does it?

don jc, another great race for you...congratulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race! I can't believe those people said that stuff to you! Why do people get so defensive and nasty about being called out for cheating? Anyway, congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I makes me sad to hear the lanuage that was hurled at you out on the course. I think you should be informing Ironman North America ie Graham of the verbal abuse.....If I spoke to my co-workers like that I sure as hell would be getting penalties!!!!

Just to let you know I have been called the "C" word on the bike by a fello. I used the anger to drive me forward and drop him.....made me feel good!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [Paolina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are just words... And, none of these idiots repassed me

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

"Why don't you mind your own f..cking business, f..ckin guido?" -then the guy sees a sticker on my bike with my country name on it, surges to catch up to me and says- "Oh, my bad (a pause for effect): Why don't you mind your own f..cking business, you f..ckin spic?"

Play fair. peace.

jc

Nice race. 9:34 is very impressive.

BTW you have quite a bit of self control. I know how my temper is and I probably would have exploded and gone after the guy right on the bike. Run him off the road, and just thrown down.

The funny thing is that people somehow must think they are making comments like this in anonymity, but their number is writen all over them and their bike. I don't know how security is in transition, but since you were done so early you probably would have plenty of time to wait around for this dude at the bike racks after you finished. I don't know how you are, but I would seriously enjoy beating the f$%k (based on his mouth there would be a lot to beat out) out of a guy like that after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know what the worse thing is? On the days leading up to the race, everyone is friendly, you feel like there's something cool and special about the sport, but then the gun goes off and you experience this kind of thing... it is a little sad... not so much the colorful comments, it's more the blatant, open, purposeful cheating...

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So doe you think that the drafting was worse this year under the GTC umbrella versus USAT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fully justified rant.

Bottom line: Some people find solice or some kind of good feeling from putting down others. It is as though the only way they can make themselves good is to make others bad.

Feel bad for them. Never lower yourself to their level. Never waste energy dignifying their remarks with a reply.

Especially in a race it can be pretty important to stick to your game plan and race your own race. That's not easy when people are malicious and downright unsporting.

All kinds of people do Ironman, and the sport attracts perhaps more than its share of flakes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report... great race!

It's upsetting to hear all the stupid crap that was going on out there. You just have to believe in karma and know that those jerks will get theirs sooner or later.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Race Report & Rant [dutri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumb Idea No. 247

I'm with you on the need to reign in the drafters ... although I dare say it has more of an impact on a 9:34 effort like Don JC's that it will ever have on my MOP-caliber efforts.

The marshalls on cycles is, I know, the norm. But hey, why stop there? Maybe GTG should put some stealth/undercover volunteers in trees or behind bushes and arm them with some video/digital cameras. Preferably in straightaway areas, where the "observer" can make a head-on judgment about who is coming down the road "legal" and who is not. Break out the video tape/digital shots to confirm offending #'s. Having 10-20 volunteer, trained officials at irregular intervals with a static view of the racing/drafting might shake things up a bit.

Dumb idea, perhaps, but like I said, what is there to lose in trying to find ways to make it a little bit harder for the peloton folks to know when they might get rung up? In other words, for most folks, the sound of a motorbike, if not the sight of a black-and-white jerseyed official on the back of a 2-man motorcycle, is going to be a dead giveaway, and that is only if the marshalls come by. Some effort to monitor in addition to the motorcycle marshalls might decrease the (ahem) temptation that some feel to crash the box.

Stan
Attend the Tucson Tri Camp/Retreat
http://tri4christ.blogspot.com
Run in such a way as to get the prize.
Quote Reply