Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMFL Lodging Opinions
Quote | Reply
I am doing IMFL next year and was hoping some of you who have done it in the past might have some thoughts on some condos in PCB. I know there was a related thread on ST the other day, but it didn't speak to the condos listed below. I will be coming down with my wife and two kids.

Any thoughts on:

Top of the Gulf, Sterling Beach or Dunes of Panama?

Thanks.

Chris

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Lodging Opinions [chrisc70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stay at the condos (not the hotel) at the Boadwalk. It overlooks the expo, finish and the swim start. They are big, clean and really really nice. Highly recommend (and this is coming from a guy who usually likes to stay at 5 star hotels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have now stayed twice at Sterling Beach. Two thumbs up.
The new condos at the boardwalk seem to be nice too, but are apparently more expensive and you'll never get away from the race if you decided you wanted too.
Cheers,
Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Lodging Opinions [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is it's about two miles from the start/finish area. Did you find it a hassle getting back and forth? My kids will be six and two at the time of the race so I am trying to keep it as easy as possible for my wife. I imagine driving on race day is not an option.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to get away from the race when I want.

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2 miles away were only a bit of a hassle on race day, but even then you can find parking in reasonable distance. But with your whole family in tow, maybe very close is more convenient. But let us say the kids need to go to bed at 7 on race day, there is lots of sounds until after midnight.
H
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Lodging Opinions [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Gulf Crest is a great condo. Two rooms and two bunk beds.

MARK MILLER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one caveat I would say about the condos is that it depends on who is staying there. We had a nice condo all booked (about 2 miles east of race start), got in there Sunday night (the 30th) and because it is offseason in PCB, some of the...less exemplary citizens of the world could afford to stay there long term as well. We were kept awake all night by several sets of "residents", and then the next day saw some of the mess left behind by them. And saw some of them in person as well...not a pretty sight.

So, that Monday we moved into the Majestic Beach Towers (open just about a month, apparently) and it was a 180 degree difference. Nice, clean, new, quiet (well, except for the 24/7 beach reconstruction going on that coincidentally just happened to be on that part of the beach we were staying) and an overall much better living experience.

There are a host of new high rise condo-type buildings going up; the new section of the Boardwalk looks very nice indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris,

Check out WWW.VRBO.COM. It is a site where the condo owners rent out their condos.

Paul

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at Summit condo and passed Top of Gulf to get to race site; I highly recommend staying as close to race site as possible; I find myself having to go back and forth a couple of times a day throughout the weekend, if you were at top of gulf, it takes 5 minutes to get there; don't know about the quality of the rooms; don't know the other places;
summit is about 100yards further than top of gulf and great rooms; you can ask for higher floors for great views fo the beach/ocean;
I also suggest look for individual owners for rental; you can get cheaper price; it was $288 for 3 nights at summit for a one bedroom suite; it technical can host 6 people--1 bedroom with king bed; hall way with built-in comfortable bunk bed, and fold out sofa; I think that's large enough for two adults and two young kids;
our neighbor, random vacationer from new england, was renting from owner for $600/mo for 3 months during the winter
Quote Reply