Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMAZ spectator question
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this is going over old ground re: IMAZ

On a whim I just decided yesterday to book a flight to AZ to spectate at IMAZ. I have a few friends racing and would like to support them. Also, while I have spectated at a few tri's and participated in one IM (not IMAZ) I have never watched an IM and never seen any pro's in action.

Any advice as to best places to be on course. I am alone and have a pretty decent ability to move around on both the bike and run course if that makes any sense to do.

Also, if there is an "ST spectator" get together let me know where and when

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [jammajin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The corner at Mill Ave is pretty good but crowded. I usually move a bit further down the street. The bridg to watch the start is interesting. Anywhere near a bar is a great location.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

One of the reason's to go :-)
Thanks for the Mill ave feedback

Quote | Reply
Monti's patio at the corner of Mill and Rio Salado for the run into the finish line. You won't be able to see a whole lot due to the bleachers and crowds, but you're right there, and you can get your snack on and your drink on!

For the swim, start on the bridge, then walk to the north shore and walk east until you see the swimmers comming back, then move back to the bridge where it's over the transition area. Then hang out and yell at your friends as they run by below you.

For the bike just hang out near the lap out area. For the run, if you don't want to do Monti's go to the north shore and hang out at an aid station.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you suggest a good place for dinner close to the race site? I'm hoping to finish, get cleaned up a little, then head back for some food and cheering.

Thanks,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there to cheer on a friend last year... it is a fan friendly location with a three loop bike course and the run course also being three loops (at least it was last year). Eating establishments are in abundance on Mill. Monte's was great. My personal fav was PF Chang's -- just a block or two up Mill from the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [newbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was there to cheer on a friend last year... it is a fan friendly location with a three loop bike course and the run course also being three loops (at least it was last year). Eating establishments are in abundance on Mill. Monte's was great. My personal fav was PF Chang's -- just a block or two up Mill from the finish line.

Good deal, thanks. I was there last year as well, but this time my wife will be with me, so I'm not going to be just hanging out in the food tent eating pizza afterwards!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that sorority doing a run aid station again? Near them would be my vote (was on the south east side of the lake last year).

On the swim, there is a dock that sticks out into the water at about 200M and all the athletes have to swim past it...narrowest part of the course and a great vantage point.

A little known fact is that downtown Tempe has public WiFi access through most of the area. There is a map showing coverage in the downtown area but I've lost the link. Bring your laptop and surf.

http://www.wififreespot.com/ar.html
http://news.com.com/...-7351_3-6088661.html
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the great info all. 3 loops sounds like lots of good opportuities to see those I know.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per the previous poster, Monti's is good for classic American fare. PF Changs is good Asian fusion. Just down the way on Mill from Monti's on the east side of the street is the Irish Pub Rula Bula - highly recommended. Another English style place is the Cornish Pasty Company - Hardy & University. Right next door to CPC is a pretty good Mexican joint - Rosita's. And down at Ash and 1st is Macayo's Depot Cantina, if you have a hunkering for some margarita's.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe we should have a meeting at the margarita place in the mid afternoon?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great, i will be there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [WSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you will be racing. I will be there trying to dull the pain in my throbbing leg...
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KILLJOY, you never let me have any fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tell you what. I'll hang out at and aid station about 50m past it, with a water bottle filled with a margarita. You can choose to sabatoage your raec or choose to let me drink it.
Are we going to go see our favorite bartender tonight? I think it's your turn to talk to her.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course we are goign to visit her. How pathetic am I that you are married and having better luck with the women than me with your wife sitting next to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have your bike with you....there is alot of space to see the ride on McClintock and also McKellips. My family should be camped out on McKellips and have a tent set up if you wanted a chair. Its pretty much a straight away and you can see ofr a good two miles. That plus they ring bells and my girlfriend and a few of her friends will be in super hero outfits...always good eye candy. :)

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that you are pathetic, it's just I'm that good, that even with my wife next to me and i can still get a date if I had to.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we using this thread to find out Mrs Desert Dude's screenname? Otherwise, I hope you like sleeping in the dog house...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no drinking before i finish the race....... that is not fair!!! i need split on race day...... it s work day for you!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

how could i pass that up :-). Thanks for the tip

That plus they ring bells and my girlfriend and a few of her friends will be in super hero outfits...always good eye candy. :)[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think i just found out where i will be DNF'ing on the bike. Sounds like a great spot to give up.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't let him fool you. Mrs. Desert Dude does better than the both of us combined! Also for Desert Dude it's sleeping in teh garage because Monty does not share his bed with anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ spectator question [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
no drinking before i finish the race....... that is not fair!!! i need split on race day...... it s work day for you!

Yea, I'll want to know how far Jonnyo is behind me!

Hey, I can dream! ; )

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com