Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMAZ RR: Mind games...
Quote | Reply
The journey to this Ironman has been tough. 4 Ironman in 18 months, I am a bit burned out. I enjoy training and being in shape but I really had a hard time focusing on training and was very sporadic and inconsistent. I think it's a lack of desire and drive, a lack of having a great goal and not enough time ha past since the last one. Lesson learned. But even with all that, I was positive and felt really good in the week leading to the race. I know I am fit but definitely lacked IM specific training. I didn't really have a goal, I knew I did not want to go to kona this year.

I woke up at 3:45 after not sleeping much at all. I had a bfast cookie at 4am, a boost at 5am and one at 6am. I sipped Gatorade pre race. I got nervous driving down; I had Sergio, Paulo and Jen with me. I was determined to give it a good shot, really not sure what to expect with the lack of fitness.

The SWIM. Well I positioned myself completely on the left, first row. I was watching the pro's swim and couldn't get why everyone was drifting right. I kept trying to look to see where I would go, the glare from the sun made it impossible to see buoys. I was confused and we hadn't even started yet. I heard the 2 minutes warning and first thing I knew the gun went off. Sort of took me off guard, I was expecting another warning. I started fast, sprinting to make my way out, very easy this time, unlike Kona. However, nobody is near the buoys, I don't get it. I am following people and see the buoys far left, I am not sure why this is going on. I slowly work my way to the buoys, thinking if I follow them, even if no one else is, it HAS to work. I really didn't draft a whole lot, but stayed focused. It got crowded under the Rural Bridge; I swam to the turn around and looked at my watch: 27 something... I knew the way back was longer but I thought I was doing well. I decided to pick it up a bit, this time I am hitting the buoys straight on. I kept thinking that I wanted to give it a good effort and didn't want to be TOO relaxed. After the last turn around buoy, I looked at the watch again it said 58 and I still had to swim to shore. Oh wellˇK Not so good for me, but swimming 1-2 week will do that to you. It's funny because I kept thinking while swimming that it probably didn't matter much if I was in swimming shape or not, I just had to swim straight.

I head for the stairs, and smile. I was so mad last year; I refused to be mad this year. 1:01 it was and I was moving forward. The wetsuit was hard to take off. I laid down and someone stripped it off. I remember laying there tired. I jogged easily to T1, and had opted to keep the same outfit all along which worked out great. I exited and someone had my bike ready, here we go, I am excited.

I leave town and am surprised to be riding with a head wind, very rarely does the wind come from the east. It didn't matter either way, I am focused. HR is in the 144-148 range, I like that. It is so hard for me to keep it up there; I was excited that it just was there. I am riding well, staying steady and keeping HR above 142 up the beeline. Right there, I decided I was going to risk this. I have always wondered about riding a bit harder, I keep thinking I ride too easy during IM and that I could have tried pushing harder. Well this is it. Why not try it this time? So I go for it. I come back down the beeline, 30mph, hitting 145 HR again, I feel good. I remember pretending I was Natasha. I am keeping up with nutrition but that lemon lime Gatorade sure does NOT taste good. How nasty. I am enjoying the tail wind and I am track for a 6 hours pace, with the goal being to pick it up on third lap. I easily biked 5:56 in Kona, this should be a piece of cake. I was going to try racing harder. I come back thru town, I am SOOOOOO excited. I see friends, I am smiling, and I feel great. I head out for second loop and am surprised to have a tail wind. Wind must have shifted oh well.. I keep up the pace but HR is slowly coming down. I am thinking its ok; I get a bit scared and tell myself to keep it at 140, which would still be great. Then I am not sure even today what exactly happened. I had a stitch which wasn't bad and my bottom bracket was squeaking. I didn't think it was slowing me down but it sure was annoying. I tried my best to ignore those 2 things. I come back down the beeline with a head wind. There are lots of girls in my age group passing me, I try to not let that affect me but it sure is hard. I stopped counting after 10 and have to work really hard at chasing the negative thoughts. I come back towards town, I am hot, my shoulders are burning, I am very nauseous, I have a stitch and HR keeps dropping steadily. My goal is now to keep it at 130. I got really down. I feel bad, I have no energy. I am eating as planned though. At least until 4 hours mark, I ate as planned. I have no idea how in the world I would do a third loop. I am really depressed; I still don't know what happened. I remember going under the 101 with the idea of quitting but somehow thought about Rich, my coach, , and his daughter who has leukemia. I thought of all the people that are sick and probably would give so much to even be in my shoes at that point and have the opportunity to even ride. I told myself right there that no matter what I was NOT quitting. I kept going thru town, not smiling so much this time.

I head back out for third loop, energy less and start having problems breathing. I can't inhale fully, it makes me cough. I just stay aero and bike. HR is less than 120. I am discouraged, sort of drifted off the nutrition plan, the perpetuem is so warm and taste terrible and the lemon Gatorade makes me more nauseous. I eat my blocks, take the salt, and ate the 2 gels but skip the perpetuem. I drank lots and lots of water. Maybe 5-6 bottles? I am thirsty and craving cold water. I pour some over me, it helped some. At that point, I just wanted to get off the bike, finish the darn bike. I know I am out of the game and I feel terrible. I don't even think about the run, I saved that for later. I am not sure why I thought I could just race hard without training for it. All my long rides had been at 117-125 HR, it had been a struggle all along to train at higher HR. Big mistake. Sure I want to race IM at 142-144 (raced at 140 in kona) but I have to train to do it if I want it to pay off.

I exit the bike, take my shoes off, my left foot is killing me. I walk very slowly thru T2, get my bag, go to bathroom. Kevin worked on my toes, I laid on the table. I go in the tent, I start crying. I have no idea how I would run. I still can't breathe; a deep breath induces coughing, still nauseated and sore. The girl in T2 says you don't have to do this. Not quite encouraging, I ignored the comment. I see Lauren in there, and am happy to see her. I knew this was her first IM and I thought she was doing well. I am given an ice bag, the girl tells me to put it in my bra, I ask for 2 of them saying it would make me look really good! Well I got a bit of humor; I think I was cheering myself up. So there I go, I head out with 2 ice bags in my bra, walking with my head down.

I walked out and started jogging. Easy.. Coughing.. nauseous... Coughing.. 26 one mile repeats, all I had to do is make it to mile one. I made a deal with myself; I'd walk the aid stations, that's it. I am far behind my goal; it is very hard to redefine goals. The only goal I have at that point is the next aid station. Lauren comes by and asks me if I want her to run with me. I kindly say no but can't believe she would be kind enough to offer that. She needed to run her own race, I was proud of her. I see Paulo right before mile 1, he yells at me to freaking focus. I just want to hit him, he just has no clue how bad I feel, I am focusing. He is trying to help, I know. I walk thru the first aid station, the orange COLD Gatorade tastes really good. I drink and take a gel at mile 2; I need to keep up nutrition. Somehow, I am running and the stitch is gone, the breathing is better, I am still tired. I do this over and over, like a robot. I come back under the bridge, see people, still just shuffling and jogging, steadily at 10:30-11min/mile. Actually I tell myself at that point that if I can keep up that rhythm, it wouldn't be so bad. I feel better than on the bike. At mile 6 or so, I see a pro girl walking. I ask her to run with me, she says no. But then, there she is, jogging next to me. I told her I was from Quebec and tell her that I had done so well last year, it was really hard for me to find a goal at that point. I knew I wasnˇ¦t going to qualify (not that I wanted to) podium or PR. So WHAT then? Finish??? I have finished before; I am struggling defining a goal. I am not sure how to go about it. She responded briefly that she knew exactly how I felt. We ran together for the next mile, I notice we both picked up the pace and I found comfort knowing that we both felt the same way. THAT girl knew exactly how I feltˇK she walked the next aid station, I just kept running. I think the faster pace made me realize I could get done sooner than later.

Then somehow things unraveled. I was feeling good and absolutely no one was[passing me. Most are walking and I am definitely running. Not jogging, running. I am yelling "excuse me", "on your left".. Unbelievable. I feel like the only one running out there. So I start playing mind games. What really got me going were the inspirational quotes on the mile markers. What a great idea, it hit me hard. At that point, I decide to keep up that pace to mile 15, start the coke and do 10 x 1 mile repeats and see how fast I can do them. I figured I can use the recovery in the aid station. I am suddenly excited. I feel strong, I feel tough. I am running in the 8:30-40, it feels good and easier. It doesnˇ¦t take long for people to notice I had changed my attitude and was fighting this one hard. I shouted things like I am tough, "you watch me", "I feel good",I am digging deep". I was mad at myself for giving up half way thru the bike. It is one of my weaknesses to give up, I have a hard time working thru the tough times. Definilty need to work on the attitude and I decided I was going to start NOW to work on it and challenge myself to push through pain. It is what I need to become a better athlete, no need to wait to work on my weaknesses. I started hurting again at 24, I played more games and ran a 9:01 for the last 1.2 miles and negative splitted the marathon by 7 minutes. I enjoyed the cheering, the crowd and the sense of accomplishment that when I fall down hard, I CAN come back up with a vengeance.

What could have been a sub 11 race or a 12 something race ended with 11:34. By far not my best performance or time, and by far not my proudest accomplishment. But I crossed that finish line with a big smile, feeling like I have found in me, what it is that I was looking for to be able to further improve in this sport and in my life: determination, mental toughness and persistence. I also finished with the desire to train harder some day to accomplish my goal of going sub 11. Not for now, I am taking a break and training for shorter distances races. But I will be back, stronger and tougher:-)
Last edited by: Marisol: Apr 12, 06 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oups.. had little problem with copy/paste from a word document, should look better now:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sophie, I know exactly what you are talking about. Redefining race goals is so hard, especially when you are in the middle of a less-than-stellar performance. For me, getting the flu three days before the race just seemed so random. Finish? Yeah, I've done that. I wanted to race, and it sounds like you did too. I'm looking at the marathon as an exercise in mental toughness, which we both seem to have passed. Nice job!

It was nice meeting you out there in Arizona. I'm sure you'll kick some ass at the short stuff this summer.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey thanks. good job to you too. I think that was really hard to redefine goals but it sure feels good to do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HECK YEAH WOMAN! Thanks for writing an excellent race report, I felt like I was there with you.

I am so glad you found what you were looking for. Pretty cool. And now our fearless Marisol will... whatever it is will be excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the support erika! I forgot to write that I negative split the marathon by 7 MINUTES.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You did awesome out there to regroup and finish the run as strong as you did. Very few people will ever negative split a marathon let alone an Ironman marathon yet you have done it twice at each IMAZ. Great job :-)

Enjoy your change of pace and new training goals. You will probably have some extra strength for long course when you decide to return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job Sophie,

Way to tough it out!

Unfortunately things didnt go so great for me during my race. I knew it was going to be a challenging day when the forecast was calling for the temperature to be over 90 degrees!! The swim didnt go too bad.Had a bit of a problem sighting but I got through it pretty comfortably. Felt great on the bike! I was keeping a good pace,and was able to stay in my zone.I was really trying to take in enough electrolytes throughout the course,but unfortunately,it wasnt enough. I started suffering at mile 90,and had a tough time getting through the last 20 miles.Ended up finishing the bike in 5:51 By the time I got to the run I was a mess. My legs felt fine but I felt very lightheaded,weak,and breathing was a very uncomfortable. I felt so bad that I was seriously considering dropping out. I walked the first 3 miles,and ate/drank a ton of pretzels,gatorade,and water at the aid stations,trying to get electrolytes back in my system.I started to feel a little better but it was a bit too late. From there I did alot of walking and some jogging to the finish. If I had the chance to do things differently.I would have started on the salt capsules earlier in the bike,but I guess you live and learn.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks sean, I am really impressed with your race myself! i am not down, I am sure the next few weeks will be challenging but I am looking forward to a little change of pace:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Marisol, great comeback. As they say, on race day,everyone is fit. The difference is not in the legs, but in the stuff between the ears. Glad to see that you pulled through mentally and you will be tougher. Focusing on short course is a great plan. You have a huge base now and several months/years of speed focus will make your next journey to Ironman a sub 11. I too have a similar plan. After Ironman LP this year, I am off the Ironman boat for a few years to focus on shorter tri events, some bike touring (hopefully a few trips to the Alps) and XC skiing. When I come back to Ironman, I plan to be older (duh!!!), wiser (OK...maybe I am pushing it) and faster (...who am I kidding...40 year old guys just get slower...)..well, at least I hope to be faster relative to my peers :-)

All the best.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your very descriptive report; only been to Arizona to visit my son when he was in school in Tempe. Felt like I was back in AZ and able to experience some of your success. Don.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was really happy to see you in T2, too, but you were definitely not having a good day at that point. I absolutely couldn't believe it when you came flying by around mile 21 or 22. I was starting to tank and you came flying by looking fresh... unbelieveable. You really impressed the hell outta me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sophie

i think far to often people like us, ironmen and women, define success and failure on a number and little else. i know i have done this too often. the sad thing is many times we can not see past this flaw - that is not too much of a problem when the 'numbers' are on mark, but when they are off (and they will be off at some point), for what ever reason, many of us can come unglued - both in the short and long term.

last year at IMAZ i had such a situation - broke my foot tuesday before the race. lots of training and expectations were shot in a couple seconds - OK fine that can happen - the question I confronted my self with was - what do I do? quite, wing it, get a plan? there is no turning around - what is, is and can't be changed - a tough thing to accept but how life works. well i opted for a plan and that ment more than enything changing expectations and my own definition of success.

i raced, i finished - not too fast not near what i thought i could do. but over the course of the next few weeks i let those new definitions of success and accomplishment set in - changed my paradime, my lense of viewing acievement in triathlon - life really.

i now look at IMAZ as my biggest athletic success across 33 years of my athletic career - when ever some one asks me what i am most proud of in my sporting accomplishments this is what i think of.

so why do i bring this up - i think you have a chance to channel this experience into something sepcial - not just for the few days after the race - but in the long term - it can be something you hold onto to , to make your self better in life - redefine success with - a time or a place is just something on paper - an experience is what has the potential to be life altering -

IMO when we view IM this way - it breeds a contentment in our souls that keeps us moving forward on the tri path or life path - these things make us strong for the next mile run, swum or biked - but also for the more important things in our lives that can be far more difficult than IM

sometimes our less than stellar race performances by the standard of the clock are really a different opportunity to become better, stronger, tougher - in the end a gift that far too many throw in the trash because it is not wrapped in the pretty paper of a Kona slot, podium finish or PR

i told a good friend that while slogging through some slow miles and tough times on the roads of tempe last year i really found my self - i think maybe you did too - good luck

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marisol, is was nice to meet you down there and it sounds like there were a number of STers who had rough days out there, but everyone pushed through it. Even though this is not your goal outcome or a PR you should be proud you not only stuck it out but you gave it an all out effort to get it done right. That is all you can do on any given day. You deserve some time off!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met you briefly at the swim practice on Saturday and we cheered for you like crazy during the race. You were a different person from lap 1 to lap 3 on the run. Great job on pushing thru it. Congrats
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reddy, great words. I credit a Personal Worst 12:30 at Ironman LP 2003 with a trip to the medical tent, 4 IVs and major health issues as such an event for myself. I was proud with that finish but I messed up my health. Now I race following Monty's motto "Don't do anything on race day that takes you out of that nite's party". Today, I no longer describe success by a time on the clock, but by the ability to get out of bed every morning, see the sunrise and hit the trail, the road, the pool or the river and celebrate that I have the physical, financial and mental gift to partake in this great sport.

All the best.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you nailed it. It's funny because in the last 2 days, 2 of my girlfriends commented on me having a different approach towards life. and I swear, battling the training and racing is making me a better, confident girl, always striving to improve in all aspects:-) i am pumped!
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [DenverDori] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciated everyone cheering. so nice:-) did we meet when I was trying to change saturday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
god-damn girl, i'm' so freaking proud of you!!!

i was pumped to see you negative splitting like that. like Paulo said, you've got guts.

earlier you told me that you wanted to learn the positive out of this...well, it didn't take long for you to find it.

way to go, can't wait to see ya!

JoAnne
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" like Paulo said, you've got guts. "

thanks Jo:-) I always appreciated your support.. out of curiosity.. where exactly did paulo write that? I am not sure I saw that part from him!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, this was talk between us in email. :)
Last edited by: kittycat: Apr 12, 06 18:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I've never heard of HR falling off a cliff like that. Upward drift I can understand, but declining to what are likely recovery ride levels is shocking.

I would highly encourage you to do two things:

1) Read some sports psychology books on mental training

2) Completely re-think your nutrition. Just a few things about that... I can't understand why anyone drinks that Boost/Ensure crap. It's sugar. Worst thing possible before an event (short of cheesecake, and even then it's close!). Same for drinking Gatorade before an event. More sugar. A much better choice would be that Carbopro (I think that's what it's called) or something that is lower glycemic. Then on the ride, personally, I think Gatorade is horribly junky stuff. I suggest Clifshot, in lemonade flavor. Much better, and works better. Higher in sodium, too. I'd also think about something more solid on the bike, like Powerbars or another brand you like. An Ironman bike is NOT a hard effort, so *everyone* should be able to eat something more than gels, blocks, etc.

We've only met for 30 seconds, and all I know about you is from your posts. But I would venture a guess that the combo of the two things above are 98% of the reason you didn't do as well as you'd like.

I'd admire your Rocky-like comeback, though!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done, Sophie. Tracy and I are really happy for you.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sophie,

I swear I could hear "Eye of the Tiger" playing in my head as I was reading the end of your report. As usual, classic stuff.

We're still fighting over your race on IM, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad that the Sophie I know came through in the end, and you came out of Tempe with a good feeling. I know you won't be staying away from Ironman for long :-)

And that remark about you wanting to hit me out on the course cracked me up! :-D You know me, love me or hate me, no in-between ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ RR: Mind games... [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will rethink that and focus on getting my infinit drink perfect. This was my 5th ironman and nutrition has always worked right with all of the above though:-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next