Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth
Quote | Reply
IMAZ was my 2nd race of the 2015 season. Kona was my first race, and I feel IMAZ was a much better day for me, probably because it was cold, and not hot at all.
With the exception of the swim I feel that my result reflects my current form (which is ok, not great). I ended up with 9:19 and 2nd in M35-39. I had a terrible swim (I swam faster in Kona this year with no wetsuit, rough conditions and a longer course!). I need to figure that out, I should have been 5-6 minutes faster. I’m a bit heavier than I was at IMAZ 2014, which was the last time I wore my wetsuit. I had the bike of my life and my run was a little slow but still a respectable 3:30 which I was happy with given that I’m not in the best run shape right now.

I’m really happy with a 9:19, even though my primary IM goal now is to go sub 9 (next chance, IM Boulder 2016!). I don’t plan to do Kona in 2016, as I’m focusing on Ultraman, so above all I wanted to have a really solid training day out there and race hard with no fear of consequence.
I had some really bad cramping issues in my left glute the day before the race, so I woke up feeling like a gorilla had been punching me all night. Other muscles would also just randomly cramp for no apparent reason, which is a bit concerning when you have a big race day ahead.
The good thing about knowing ahead of time that you’re going to have cramping issues, is that you can anticipate it, and I was able to manage it during the race. I cramped at the start of the swim, bike and run, but I just relaxed and focused on maintaining a steady effort for 10-15 minutes and they went away each time. So in the end, the cramping really was not much of an issue. I was very satisfied being able to get through the day in one piece, the 9:19 and 2nd place was a bonus!

Swim: 1:05
was a massive underachievement for me. To give you an idea of my current pool times, in the last 3 weeks I did a 1 mile (1650m) TT in 23 minutes and several 1km TTs in 14 minutes.
My “all day pace” with no wetsuit is about 1:28/100m. So in theory going under 60 mins in an IM should feel very easy. I felt like I was in shape to swim around 56/57, which at least would have put me within closer reach of Scott Bowe who I thought would swim around 52, and ahead of Steve Johnson who's just been sitting in the hot tub every time I go to the pool ;-)
The rolling start was a mess at IMAZ. Basically you enter via a wide set of steps, perpendicular to the direction of the course. So even if you line up near the front, if you are towards the left then you are actually several rows back once you jump in. Then once you’re in, it’s chaotic until you get clear of that. Given that the goal of this rolling start idea is safety, I think they failed at IMAZ. The mass start is much safer a) because you get to warm up b) there is more than enough space for everyone.
Since my basic speed is quite good, I got clear of the mess pretty quickly, but I just felt very awkward for the whole swim, kind of the same feeling you have after not swimming at all for a few months. I also felt very constricted and out of breath. It took a huge amount of mental focus to stay calm. Maybe I’m too fat for my wetsuit who knows! Within about 15 minutes I knew I was going to have a bad swim time. When the people around you don’t look like competent swimmers, it’s a bad sign (since they are ahead of me, I probably look worse than they do!). Every pair of feet I found was either zig zagging all over the place, or swimming in the wrong direction. So I just swam alone the whole way.

Bike 4:37
- very happy with that. From what I can tell by looking at the top 10 in each AG this was the fastest amateur bike split. Here is a link to my bike data.
The plan was to bike a bit harder than usual, like I will at Ultraman. Pretty much using IMAZ as a long, intense training day.
The presence of competition, plus having aid stations makes it a great opportunity to do that. My first lap started off with bad glute cramps, but they resolved after 10 mins and that lap was done at an intensity factor of .85 which is closer to what I might ride in a half ironman.
Laps 2 and 3 were more crowded so I had to ease off a bit more often with an IF of .81 which felt like a steady all day pace. My VI was 1.03 which is the lowest I’ve ever had in an IM.
This was a bike PR and my best executed IM bike to date.
I also had a very tasty nutrition assortment.
On the bike, I flavored my malto/fructose mix with 2 bottles of “hand crafted” Q ginger beer, which was awesome. Definitely keeping that. I rounded it off with 8 gummy worms and 2 bags of powerbar cola chews, averaging 430 calories per hour. The XLAB Torpedo bottle is a great addition to my setup. I started with that, plus a bottle of my mix mounted directly to the Dash TT.9 saddle.
My only take from aid stations was 2 bottles of water. I feel this really helps at IMAZ because the aid stations can get a bit congested, especially on the later laps.

For those that are interested, here is a comparison of all my IM bike split data to date.

My bike setup is below. Zipp 808 front, Super 9 disc rear, 54/44 Rotor Q rings (which they say is equivalent to 56 at "peak" ovality, a huge asset at IMAZ, I didn't spin out at all).
Rotor 3D+ 165mm cranks, 3T Aduro bars, Dash TT.9 saddle with Elite Pria Pave cage . I switched out the Conti tires for Turbo Cottons that Rappstar kindly lent me. Tririg Omega X brakes, Di2 shifting. Icefriction coated DA chain.

Run: 3:30
I felt great getting off the bike, made a quick porta potty stop on mile 1, and then settled into a steady pace just going by feel, around 7:10/mile. At around the 10k mark I could feel my hamstrings starting to tighten up, like a very dull cramp. I also had minor shooting cramps on the outside of my glutes, which I just ignored but my pace did slow a bit for the same perceived effort. I hadn’t seen Scott or Steve at all the entire race. I knew Scott would be way ahead out of the swim, but I thought I would have been close enough to Steve to at least see him. Later I would find out that Steve unfortunately DNS’d and that Scott would eventually beat me by 30+ minutes, which explains why I saw neither of them! Other than that I had no idea what place I was during the race. I started the run with Jack Toland who won the 18-24 AG, but he left me behind within the first mile. It started to rain pretty hard, and I knew the cold weather would demoralize some people. Since my last few training runs were in the snow, it actually felt pretty mild to me! I knew it would be a race of attrition so I just kept a steady pace, didn’t walk, and just kept going. I saw nobody else in my AG, and nobody else that I even knew. On lap 2, the gravel path had turned into a mudbath. I tried to run on the grass but it was all mushy, so I ran on a single file line of bricks for as long as I could. I found Jack again around mile 17, and we ran together up until around mile 20. Side note: The warm chicken broth at the aid stations was just incredible! I was feeling good so pushed a little harder towards the end. My last mile was a superb 7:03 - I should get a side job as Tim Noakes’ poster child for his central governor theory!

Here is a comparison of my 2014 vs 2015 IMAZ runs. You can see a definite slow down around mile 10. A key difference is probably the mental aspect of competition - in 2014 I was chasing down Adam Zucco, in 2015 I was on a long training run with no idea of my place or who was ahead or behind me.
Here is my data file. The other aspect may have been run nutrition. In 2014 I was robotic about calorie intake, in 2015 I just didn’t feel like taking much in, but I should have forced it if I wanted to maintain good pace.

OveralI was very happy that I got through it all without much going wrong. The awards ceremony was great - the Dimond team got 7 KQs in addition to 3rd, 5th and 6th in the pro race (TJ, Jordan and Maik) so a great day for Dimond! It was also fun to “give away” my Kona slot to someone who really wants to go there.
The best part of the day though, was that an athlete of mine got a kona slot rolldown in 40-44. He has put in so much work and really deserved it. He was actually in much better shape than me going in, but he didn’t have an ideal day out there. It was a bit of an emotional roller coaster going from disappointment the day before, to the high of a kona slot when it wasn’t expected. As a coach, it’s actually more exciting when one of your athletes gets a slot than when you get one yourself!

Dimond goes "full equality" with matching shirts and matching 2nd places in 35-39 ;-)

Right now I’m straight into Ultraman training. I’m back on the bike and in the pool, but will wait a few days until I’m ready to run again. Then it will be a series of 100+ mile run weeks, lots of swimming, figuring out my wetsuit problems, and maintaining bike form until February!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Rob. That's a sick looking bike!

Question - What IF do you usually do IMs at?

Best of luck at the UMs.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:

Best of luck at the UMs.

About .78 when I'm in shape

edit: here is a sheet with all my bike split data from IM races

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Last edited by: robgray: Nov 17, 15 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you feel as though your bike split reflects your overall IM fitness?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Do you feel as though your bike split reflects your overall IM fitness?

No I think the bike split was a bit better than I "deserve". I've been hovering around 220w @ IM effort (RPE) since September, and I then I seemed to get a spike in bike fitness about 2 weeks ago.
Part of it may also be that coming down from Boulder altitude made Tempe effort feel much easier.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked that simply because you seem like you "should" be a faster runner if you're biking at that watts/kg/cda and ending up at that split. Regardless, great race. I'd love to put one together someday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race Rob....on the 2014 run vs 2015 run, do you think living in San Jose 2014 allowed you to do more running at higher intensity conditioning your quads better for 2014 vs 2015 at all? On the bike obviously coming down from Boulder is a huge advantage. I noted after a super slow run at IM Tahoe, my quads were not sore at all after the race, whereas I felt I was sucking wind for the entire second half of the marathon. Using the inverse, would one not suck wind on the run, but the quads get progressively more trashed? More a question than anything. Or was it competition + cold?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's just that I was in better run shape last year. I haven't had enough consistent volume. In previous years I had many weeks of 50+ miles, this year not really. I did a 77 mile week at the end of October but I think regular consistent mileage outweighs a few big weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob, what is the volume of the Xlab Torpedo that you used? Where is your garmin data displayed (if at all....or did you go by feel and just saw the data after the race)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

Best of luck at the UMs.

About .78 when I'm in shape

edit: here is a sheet with all my bike split data from IM races

What's your FTP testing protocol?

Good to see you on the course too!

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Last edited by: N. Dorphin: Nov 17, 15 17:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid effort - thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Torpedo holds 26oz, and I have a barfly mount in front of it for the garmin

Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The traditional 5 min hard, 20 min TT, 95% of average power for the 20 min. I do it indoors on the trainer using trainerroad. On occasion I test on an outdoor loop but that's usually just to validate if there is any discrepancy vs indoors.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
The Torpedo holds 26oz, and I have a barfly mount in front of it for the garmin

so how many cals and sodium in the 26 oz/0.75mL Torpedo? I have to stop the feast outside of IM's and transfer it to IM (and digest it). It seems l am doing the opposite...eating too much off the bike and not enough on it. I think that's what number 7 said about Ullrich!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why only 2 races in a year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev

1360 calories spread across the torpedo and one bike bottle. So lets say maybe 850 in the torpedo? I dont take any sodium

Then also 660 calories in the bento and 2 gels taped to the stem behind the torpedo

Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Good question! I guess I just had a lot going on and didn't have time to put in the training to race well. I was entered for vineman 70.3 and Santa Cruz 70.3 but could do neither since I was moving from CA to CO. In 2016 I'm doing more: ultraman Florida, ultraman Hawaii, Boulder 70.3, Boulder IM and 160west

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

Good question! I guess I just had a lot going on and didn't have time to put in the training to race well. I was entered for vineman 70.3 and Santa Cruz 70.3 but could do neither since I was moving from CA to CO. In 2016 I'm doing more: ultraman Florida, ultraman Hawaii, Boulder 70.3, Boulder IM and 160west

While you are at it may as well throw in the Pike's Peak marathon and the Western States 100. Maybe the Leadville 100 mile bike race. Make your 40th year count....I only saw 5 weeks out of 52 being used for racing!!!! How come no Norseman in there either?
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I asked that simply because you seem like you "should" be a faster runner if you're biking at that watts/kg/cda and ending up at that split. Regardless, great race. I'd love to put one together someday.

Hi James - yes I think that's 100% accurate. Back in 2013 I feel like I was in good enough run shape to go very low 3 in an IM but I just couldn't put it together in a race. I'm a volume responder, so I think that the UM training will get me back into that ballpark. Also, right now I'm close to 80kg which helps on the bike but not so much on the run!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Hi James - yes I think that's 100% accurate. Back in 2013 I feel like I was in good enough run shape to go very low 3 in an IM but I just couldn't put it together in a race. I'm a volume responder, so I think that the UM training will get me back into that ballpark. Also, right now I'm close to 80kg which helps on the bike but not so much on the run!

80 kg? You need to fire Jan Ullrich as your nutritionist! Get on the Jonnyo/Desertdude diet ASAP....losing 1 kilo per month should get you ready in time for UM Hawaii!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
robgray wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

80 kg? You need to fire Jan Ullrich as your nutritionist! Get on the Jonnyo/Desertdude diet ASAP....losing 1 kilo per month should get you ready in time for UM Hawaii!

well I think I maybe have above average capacity to store glycogen. I was 75kg on Wednesday, and 79kg by Monday. But yes ideally I should be 68kg pre race, 72kg on race day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and best of luck at UM. Do you mind sharing your IM bottle mix recipe, specifically the malto:fructose ratio and where you get the fructose from? I raced with malto mixed with Nuun a couple years ago but got turned off from the stuff after awhile. I'm wondering if adding fructose would help.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job on your race!

Wondering how you manage your training time with family, work, etc? What would a typical weekday look like 6 months out and 6 weeks out from an IM?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ 2015 RR. ginger beer, gummy worms, mud and chicken broth [JJD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JJD wrote:
Great job on your race!

Wondering how you manage your training time with family, work, etc? What would a typical weekday look like 6 months out and 6 weeks out from an IM?

Thx

It was much easier when I had "just a wife" since I could actually plan my training, and I could go long every weekend. With 2 kids (age 4 and 2) things are very unpredictable, and it would now be unfair to leave wifey alone with my 2 kids on the weekend. My kids have about 360% of the energy of other kids I know, which I'm sure at some stage will be a good thing, but right now it's a challenge. So, how I deal with this:

- I try to get at least one "predictable" workout in per day. The best way for me to do this is get up early and get it done. Usually that's a bike workout on the trainer. I have a bit more time than other people for this, since I'm in Boulder and most of the people I work with are either in California or Tokyo. California 9am is 10am my time, and for Tokyo I can just do late pm or very early morning. If I start a workout at 5am, I can get 3-4 hours in if needed!
- Swims are usually at lunch time. I book the time out as if it was a meeting, and colleagues know that they should not mess with my swim schedule. There are a few really good masters swims in Boulder that are great for triathletes. I also have a Vasa erg which is great for ad-hoc swimming. Literally you can get a solid workout in 10 minutes whenever I have a gap. My vasa is 15 meters away from my desk, so it's feasible to accumulate 30 mins of hard work in a day, in the same time most people would go and look at their facebook feed.
- Runs: the great thing about running is that it's easy to do anywhere, without much gear. Also, I find that it's a great "frequency sport" i.e. lots of little runs can actually be better than one big one. So I just run in the unpredictable times, whenever I have a gap. Sometimes this is actually adds up nicely. A few weeks ago I got 3 runs in on a Monday, for a total of 24 miles.

Family time: I now treat Sunday as a family day, so just a short workout if needed, before everyone wakes up or at lunchtime when the 2 year old is napping. For a big IM build, I take several half day vacations on a Wednesday and get in some huge training days. 3-4 Wednesdays is plenty to get me into IM shape.

So, the key thing for me has been adaptability. If I was set on doing things the way I've always done them, it would be really frustrating. Instead, each circumstance can offer an opportunity to do things in a new or even better way, as long as you are open to it. These days it's hard to follow a set plan, so if I have a menu of things I can do, I just do them as the opportunity arises. It also helps with procrastination - I don't have the option these days to defer a workout so I just do it when I have a time gap, rather than when I feel like it. Funny enough it actually seems more productive that way!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Rob! Very well done.

Which of your athletes got the KQ?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next