Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm a Stadler fan, but not b/c he won...
Quote | Reply
I find the Stadler v Macca smack talk a bit amusing. I have met them both a couple of times over the years, and they both seem to be ok with me. Sure, both are a bit cocky, but I suppose I might be too if I was that fast.

When it really comes down to it though, when the cameras are not on, etc, most of us with any sort of human depth could really care less how fast someone is. We care more about character, and the ability to give and receive love.

So, we are on the same flight out of Kona as Normann. He gets up to go to the bathroom and my 3 year old son Riley and I can see him from our seats. I say “there's Mr. Stadler the man who won." Riley asks if he can go shake his hand, and I say sure. So, Riley walks up and sticks hand out. Normann proceeds to shake his hand in a very endearing manner and talks to my little buddy in a kind, gentle manner. No camera, no lights, no audience - the man was a real man.

Then, walking through the Chicago airport and changing terminals we see Norman again. Riley asks if he wants to race and dashes to the moving side walk to take the lead. Normann engages in baby steps with a big smile on his face. Our 5 and 7 year old daughters bust out laughing, Riley falls on his face, and Normann enjoys the whole escapade. Again, priceless.

Later, going up an escalator (it was on long walk on sore legs!) Normann engages in a conversation with my wife, Cindy, who could care less who actually won the race. Her response was "gee, he is a really nice guy, kinda like you (referring to me)."

Yes, I am a Normann fan.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm a Stadler fan, but not b/c he won... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your wife referring to you as a nice guy throws the credibility of this whole story right out the window ;-)

Cool story, does seem like a nice guy. Nobody ever accused Tiger or Jordan of being overly friendly on the playing field either. I am not putting Normann in Tiger/Jordan company, but the elites in any sport seem to be somewhat cold when on the field of play.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The important question I'd like to know...was the Kona winner in coach or 1st Class?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm a Stadler fan, but not b/c he won... [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The important question I'd like to know...was the Kona winner in coach or 1st Class?"

--------------------------------------

He used the coach bathroom :-)!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David, the most important part of this story is that your wife compared Mr. Stadler to you rather than you to him :-). It shows you who she has set as the standard for male excellence :-)...and I have to say, Norman is a brave man racing a 3 year old after an Ironman followed by all that Macca smack talk. The thought of running a step sounds painful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Normann use the escalator?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: I'm a Stadler fan, but not b/c he won... [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Did Normann use the escalator?"

---------------

Yes, there were two going up, and two going down. He was going up on the one next to us. His was slower than ours:-)!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His was slower than ours:-)!

Hey, a win is a win.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great story - thanks for sharing!

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Did Normann use the escalator?"

---------------

Yes, there were two going up, and two going down. He was going up on the one next to us. His was slower than ours:-)!
Normann said you cheated by walking on the escalator. :-)
Quote Reply