Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hyvee pros not wearing headgear
Quote | Reply
Just been watching the Hyvee ITU world cup coverage on NBC (Pretty good coverage i might add too) and I noticed only one of the athletes wore any kind of head gear on the run. Not sure what the weather temps were exactly but it was certainly sunny and I am guessing it was pretty damn hot and humid.

So my question is, what do they know that 99% of us age groupers don't? Is there a point where humidity reaches a certain level that wearing a hat simply retains hot water and hence offsets the benefit if the shade it provides? Personally for long course triathlon I get a lot of cooling benefit from putting ice in my hat but perhaps in a short course tri when ice is less likely to be in abundance (and you aren't willing to slow down too much at an aid station) the "no hat" option allows greater heat loss?

As a side note, I recall PNF, Babbit, Huddle, Welsh etc being stunned to see Chrissie Wellington not wearing any kind of head gear during the Kona coverage on Ironman.com last year...
Quote Reply
Re: Hyvee pros not wearing headgear [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, they're only out there for 30 minutes...

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting on a hat or visor in T2 takes like an extra half second. That half second can mean the difference between first and second place at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to see an ITU transition live to really appreciate the speed. Putting on a hat is not in the plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Added transition time. 1-2 seconds is the difference between leaving with the pack and being left behind.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyvee pros not wearing headgear [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During today's broadcast they showed a little bit of the women's race, and you could see that Sarah Haskins took a couple of half steps as she was putting on her visor for the run. Not much....but you never know what those couple of mis-steps might cost you.
Quote Reply
Re: Hyvee pros not wearing headgear [moberballs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are all talking bollocks when you put the reason down to unnecessary time spent in T2.

a) it doesn't take ANY time to put on because you do it while you are running out.
b) a melt down from the heat can cost more than 1-2 seconds. Anyone count the DNFs last year in the Hyvee?

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of it is personal preference. Tim Don runs with a hat a lot. I ran in NYC for the first time without a hat or visor (just sunglasses) in like 3 or 4 years of racing, and it was quite nice; I may do it more often. As for transition, I think it's not so much the extra *time* in transition as much as it is having to think about something else besides just putting on your shoes. It's something else to remember.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You went from asking a question, to flaming the people that replied to you. Nice...

Don't you have to go buy a bigger frame and get a professional fit? Because you look like a doofus on your bike now... riding on the 53/25 only adds to the pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is it thought that a 10k run requires a hat? And why would that hat make you faster?

I see it's value in a hot weather (or even just sunny) ironman, but a 10k run?

How many runners in the Olympic 10k will be wearing a hat?

My personal preference is to not wear hats. I feel cooling is decidedly better without one...the exception being if you use that hat specifically as a cooling device (ie. holding ice).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while it might be the case that u put that hat on while u run, jordan is right that it comes down to personal preference - a lot of the girls do so because of their long hair PLUS SPONSORS (some pros put the sponsored hats next to transition and with the chaos of transition just leave it behind too) - it is more rare to see dudes wearing hats because it is one more thing to worry about.

when i was at hyvee taking pics it was striking to see just how clean their t1/2 areas were - the fastest dudes had right shoe/left shoe that is it- rasmus, bennett, docherty, whitfield, etc...

this whole notion that a visor is going to make such a difference when these guys are pros/train in heat on purpose/ and are out there for sub 32 mins is hilarious. half im or im, sure, maybe even marathon (though what is the %age of truly fast dudes wearing visors that run sub 2:10?). There were dnfs at hyvee, as at other races - but a visor would not prevent that. plus some of those dnfs were pros that are trying to save as much as possible for beijing and once they are in 15th or whatever they call it a day and walk off.

and let us all not forget every single nas/wtc announcer freaking out about Chrissie not wearing a visor/hat at kona when she crushed the field...

http://picasaweb.google.com/...i.com/HyVeeTriathlon

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: Hyvee pros not wearing headgear [celticfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You went from asking a question, to flaming the people that replied to you. Nice...

Don't you have to go buy a bigger frame and get a professional fit? Because you look like a doofus on your bike now... riding on the 53/25 only adds to the pain.
a) The term "talking bollocks" in my book was just a cute way to say, "its not really relevant to my question about the pros and cons of wearing a hat in the heat". Sorry if you found that to be offensive.
b) Per the above, I was asking for thoughts on whether wearing a hat can be more negative than positive from a heat transfer perspective, not about whether it slows down transition time. Why do folks bother with putting on shoes in transition? Zola Budd often didn't see the need...
c) the counter-flame resorting to personal attacks: "look like a doofus"...even nicer :-). It's ok, I opened myself up for abuse by posting the pic and I welcome it (its ST and its expected), you just missed the appropriate thread...
d) Bike fit or not, I certainly don't need a BIGGER frame - not sure how many 6' guys need a frame bigger than a 58"...have you seen the size of the P3C Bjorn rides and he's a LOT taller than I am?

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: Hyvee pros not wearing headgear [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why is it thought that a 10k run requires a hat? And why would that hat make you faster?
That is exactly my point - that so many of us age groupers DO wear hats yet is it really necessary? I never wore them for running races prior to being a triathlete for an example.

Anyhoo, I have an Oly next Sunday and the weather is likely to be 90+, humid and sunny before we even get in the water so I might ditch the hat and see how it feels....

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If someone thinks a hat or visor is the difference between finishing a race and collasping due to heat, well they smoked too many drugs growing up.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Hyvee pros not wearing headgear [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see any of that triathlon specific sun screen in those baskets! What about a fuel belt for their infinite?!?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I wear a hat mainly for sweat absorption during the run, but I've been at Alcatraz and the Oceanside 70.3 where Potts didn't wear a hat in either.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
That is exactly my point - that so many of us age groupers DO wear hats yet is it really necessary? I never wore them for running races prior to being a triathlete for an example.

Anyhoo, I have an Oly next Sunday and the weather is likely to be 90+, humid and sunny before we even get in the water so I might ditch the hat and see how it feels....

I'm like you....Was a very serious runner in a past life and we never wore hats. If you are running the race without a hate and your head is wet then evaporation is optimal. The only reason to wear it is to keep the sun off your head and that's more of a concern in some triathlons where you are running during the heat of the day (ie. fast IMs, and lots of HIMs). If you are doing an Oly, if you are finishing that race prior to 11am, then I think it would only slow down evaporation.
Using a visor to keep the sweat out of your eyes might be useful, but I've never had that problem running. I do when cycling and that's when I'd love something to stop my sweat.
Quote Reply