Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hydration and fitness
Quote | Reply
This morning after another high intensity spin class, my buddy mentioned that I have been drinking very little electrolyte replacement beverage (Champion Revenge Sport) of late, and wondered why. I said I didn't know but just didn't feel the need. Got to thinkin, my training has gone (over ten years) from 15-18 hrs/week with lot's of LSD bike and runs, to just 8hrs a week and all high intensity. I hydrate immediately after a session and then take on 35 grams of whey, and all this seems to be OK. Question is: Why am I not needing water more? I still sweat a lot, and seem to recover OK, but this has me/us a bit perplexed. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration and fitness [kml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perplexed about what exactly? What is your question?

You need the same amount of water as before. You can get used to drinking more or drinking less - your urine may be clearer or darker - it may hurt your recovery if you fall too far behind in fluids....maybe it'll increase your chance of kidney stones if you get dehydrated regularly....

You start reasonable well-hydrated - you go hard for an hour or so and then drink afterwards = sounds fine to me.

I often don't drink anything in work-outs under 1 hour. You definitely don't need electrolytes or energy drinks in shorter work-outs.

Before all of the marketing for electrolyte drinks - people would run marathons without drinking....

Why on earth do you think you need 35 grams of protein after each session? Now there's a question.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Hydration and fitness [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lookng for others who may have had this same thing happen, and what, if anything, happened next. I simply find it interesting that my thirst levels decrease with an increase of intensity. I have heard the fascinating stories about the old school marathoners who weaned themselves off of water, but that has pretty much been proven to be counter productive by many studies. As far as the protien is concerned, 35 is about a third of what I need, according to three sources, it's a scoop of whey with whole grain cereal, berries, and soy milk. I have been doing that for 10 years, have <9% body fat and feel great. I also haven't had meat, chicken or fish in twenty years, so I am a cognizant of that specific diatary component. I think John Collins nailed it when he said that we are all an expirement of one. And this one remains perplexed, probably over nothing, and hence the post. Thanks for your comments.
Quote Reply