Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it
Quote | Reply
Got to get the next race on the schedule after AG nats this past weekend. Looking at Hyvee in Des Moines Aug 31 and only a 2 1/2 hr drive for me from Omaha. Can anyone comment on the venue, grounds, course, hotels to stay at, blah blah blah?? Any infomation would be great thanks!
Last edited by: 1xatbandcamp: Aug 11, 14 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race being centered at Gray's Lake makes it a bit harder for spectators to get to than the old course but is good otherwise. Any of the hotels downtown are just fine and none more convenient to the venue than the other. You can also stay by the airport but I personally liked downtown since there are restaurants, the nice riverside running path and other attractions there. There ain't shit by the airport. Traffic into the venue race morning is beyond bad. It will get hot as hell in the afternoon so be prepared. Course is good and wide open. The out and back run course is easier than the old one but dull.

So, a good race, but not as good as it used to be. Des Moines is under-rated as a town. Make sure you hit up Zombie Burger afterwards. I would definitely do it if you have the opportunity. I've only done the 5150 champs and never the AG race, so YMMV. I do know the AG race is TT start, starts later and gets beastly hot.

What else do you want to know?
Quote Reply
Re: Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hot. It's humid. It's hot and humid.
Quote Reply
Re: Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it [Jordan45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan45 wrote:
It's hot. It's humid. It's hot and humid.

Wasn't bad last year, at least for the earlier championship race.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! Im trying to get the wife on board with this since its a little road trip and an overnight stay--we have young kids so always mucho coordination to do. I've heard good things about the race from folks and the season is winding down so trying to sqeeze in a few more races. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a first class race, for sure. Was really cool when the pros raced in the afternoon so you could go watch. Now they swim in the first wave with everyone else in the morning. It is a fast course with good fan support around the transition area/lake with a top-notch finish line and post race food spread.

Quote | Reply
I did it last year for the first time and will be there again in three weeks. Its a well-organized, good race and many top pros (including Javier Gomez) show up due to the big prize purse. Last year, they held the mandatory pre race meeting downtown and you were able to do a "meet and greet' with many of the pros if you wanted. Amateur competition is also top notch. My parents advised, however, it's not the most "fan friendly" race to watch due to the limited spectator crossovers and distances between the swim start to transition and the 20-25 minute walk (at least) from transition to the finish line. I wrote to HyVee after the race about these issues...see if some improvements could be made....can't remember getting a response. You mentioned wife and kids so just be aware of all the walking they'll need to do. And yes, only one way into the one parking lot and traffic gets brutal.....need to get there early. It's a haul for me from Philadelphia (fly to Chicago then drive to Des Moines) but worth the effort for this high profile event. Good luck.
Last edited by: gphin305: Aug 12, 14 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be hot. It's probably not wetsuit legal. It's easy enough to drive to from any of the hotels and there is a TON of parking. I stayed on the outskirts of town last year and drove to the site in 10 minutes. Course is fair to fine. Not a lot of great scenery but then who is looking at the sites while racing :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's your pre-race meal:
http://jethrosdesmoines.com/...mmenecker-challenge/

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The finish line is three or four minutes from transition. Perhaps you raced two years ago when the finish was in front of the capitol?

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
The finish line is three or four minutes from transition. Perhaps you raced two years ago when the finish was in front of the capitol?

I did the race last year when the finish was at the lake. Parents said they almost missed my finish because did not realize the long walk to the finish. If I remember, transition was at the southeast corner of lake and the finish was at southwest corner of lake. Appears lake measures around 4000' long on south side? I remember them saying they walked pretty much entire length of parking lot after watching T2. Maybe there is a short cut?
Quote Reply
Re: Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
It can be hot. It's probably not wetsuit legal. quote]

My experience with this is to bring your wetsuit no matter what. 2 years ago the water temp magically dropped a significant amount overnight and many people were caught out because they assumed it would not be wetsuit legal. We have had very mild weather here (I live in Des Moines) and the race I did on Saturday in a small lake just north of here was wetsuit legal.

My guess is that it wont be legal, but don't assume even if the temp the day before is non legal. If your not used to swimming in Iowa lakes you wont be impressed with the water quality!

And yes it is a hard race for family as the finish line area is difficult to get to from a parking standpoint.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Hy Vee Triathlon Aug 31, 2014 -- Tell me all about it [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

I did the race last year when the finish was at the lake. Parents said they almost missed my finish because did not realize the long walk to the finish. If I remember, transition was at the southeast corner of lake and the finish was at southwest corner of lake. Appears lake measures around 4000' long on south side? I remember them saying they walked pretty much entire length of parking lot after watching T2. Maybe there is a short cut?

Ok so yeah I guess you're pretty much right. I can definitely see that it being confusing if you aren't entirely aware of the course. Still think its closer to 5 min than 25 min but certainly can't disagree with your assessment that it isn't a spectator friendly course

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blah blah blah.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by gphin305 [ In reply to ]