Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [brooks@AllOut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brooks@AllOut wrote:
ldurland wrote:
Yeah, the men's race didn't play out to be as exciting as the women's finish but fun watching anyway.

Since I grew up in Des Moines, I think this race is a good excuse to visit next summer. Looks like a great production.[/quote]

What's the history behind this race? How'd Des Moines, Iowa get one of the richest triathlons in the world? Has this area always been a hot spot, or is this a key sponsor home town headquaters?

Not dissing on the location, just wondering the history behind it all. I guess, it's one of those locations, I wouldnt think of as a top triathlon race. Maybe that's why it is!?!?

I'm not too sure. I moved from there ages ago, but we still have family friends there. I don't have any tri contracts there though. From what I can tell the race isn't that old. I believe it originally started in Des Moines and then moved out to the suburbs in West Des Moines for a few years. This year they moved it back to the city to make the multi-loop format easier I believe. The course out in WDM was much more spread out I think.

You're right though that this race seemed to come out of nowhere. Hy-Vee is a Des Moines based grocery store chain in the midwest. I can't believe that in a few short years they've jumped to the front of the sport and are putting out a purse like this. But hey, the competitors seem to like it. I think that there's evidence of that in both Bennett's and Kemper's speeches.

Larry Durland
Member of Team Firefighter
IM Blog: 34 Weeks & 17 Hours
Twitter: @larrydurland
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe I lost video right at the end!! Taken heat from my wife trying to watch this thing and now nothing. This SOX!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [Pink Ninja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after riding rabgrai this year, i will never ever think that any place in Iowa is truly flat. we had one flattish day, well until we hit something called Twister Hill. WTF. Seriously, WTF. not something I'd ever figure I'd ride into 90 miles into a 105 mile day in the middle of Iowa. not to mention it was a billion degress on the sun with Africa hot humidity.

i can only imagine to hills they find for Hyvee. not hard to find in Iowa.
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had never seen the video highlights below, just the finish line picture. Awesome. Wish there were more sprint finishes this ITU season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUj2DvBjCqw
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"If I didn't suffer from early-stage memory issues due to old age, I could probably recall. Whoever he was - he was ahead of his time:)"

a brilliant fellow. way ahead of, but not towering over, his contemporaries.

He was under the radar - literally.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was afraid Benno unbuckled his helmet before racking his bike. Fortunately he didn't and the rest is history ;)

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hyvee put up the money 4-5 years ago to make the race into one of the best known ones in the country. The CEO for hyvee is huge into fitness and wanted to really make the race special. Since hyvee is headquartered in des moines they placed it there the first year. There was some flooding issues the first year and they barely pulled the race off.

Fast forward to next year there was more flooding, this time they weren't that lucky, there was no way to do the race in des moines. Well that year hyvee pulled off the impossible and moved the whole race in a week to west des moines, got all the roads closed and had a great race there. They had it two more years out there I believe the they partnered with wtc. Since they want their races metropolitan based they moved the race back to dsm this year. Since it's in sept there won't be any flooding problems now.
Last edited by: draketriathlon: Sep 4, 11 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that summer.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooks@AllOut wrote:
Thanks for that summer.

Sorry for some of the caps. I was on my Ipad and its a pain sometimes. But yeah the first year west des moines course was great, the second two years was pretty crappy. The move downtown really is great for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
draketriathlon wrote:
brooks@AllOut wrote:
Thanks for that summer.

Sorry for some of the caps. I was on my Ipad and its a pain sometimes. But yeah the first year west des moines course was great, the second two years was pretty crappy. The move downtown really is great for the race.

WTH did I type, summer? Thanks for the summary!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [ldurland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that maybe it has been posted already about Hy-vee. It is, as are most of the races, a new entry into the 5150 series of the WTC. It used to be an ITU race that offered one of the richest purses in history. I believe that the owner of the race wanted to have a little bit more flexibility with purse payouts, start lists, etc. that the ITU was willing to surrender. So, 2010 was the last year of it being an ITU event, and 2011 became the first year as part of a WTC series event. While part of a bigger 'global' series, the purse, the organization, etc. came along first. But yes, it also goes to show the talent that a race of this caliber with the prize structure that it has in place can draw. I believe that EVERY single pro who competed brought home some cash.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
I was afraid Benno unbuckled his helmet before racking his bike. Fortunately he didn't and the rest is history ;)

I had the same fear;)

Probably unfounded, though. It seems the times are changing for the better.

Not to mention that Benno has his crap together better/more than most.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
33:16 for maccas 10km
Quote Reply
Re: Hy-vee triathlon thread [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race. Happy for the Bennet's...and great props to Macca. No matter what happens with the whole Olympic thing, just great respect.
Quote Reply

Prev Next