Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hunt Wheelset: 30 Aero Carbon vs 40 Aero Carbon Disc
Quote | Reply
1) Any comparison between the two wheelsets for anyone owning these?
2) Any regrets on getting the deeper 40's vs the 30's or visa versa?

Some reviews say they are LOUD, back around 2020 some complained about bearings going bad in a year. Seems they've fixed the issues and durability improved. I saw a top 10 wheel "shoot out" and Hunts came only 2nd to DT Swiss 1100's--ahead of HED, Zipp & others for a little deeper set that was tested.

Aside from noisy hubs, anyone have any issues with stiffness not being as good as they'd like with these?
Quote Reply
Re: Hunt Wheelset: 30 Aero Carbon vs 40 Aero Carbon Disc [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have no experience with these wheels myself but I have looked into Hunt Wheels myself. I do ride with someone who has a set and the hub pawls are loud but not obnoxious.

Why are you looking at the 30's or 40's instead of the 50's? The lower profile may be a little lighter in weight but I think that the aero advantage of the 50 is better.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunt Wheelset: 30 Aero Carbon vs 40 Aero Carbon Disc [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got the Hunt 62 Aerodynamicists. No seriously complaints. Yes, the freehub is on the louder side, but not "bad." I noticed nothing with regards to stiffness - I got the steel spoked version - I avoided the carbon spoked version specifically because people said it could be a bit noodly.

Minor complaints were that the tubeless rim tape was installed terribly, so I had to tear it all off and do it over. And one wheel was ever so slightly more untrue than I like. Not so much I've bothered to fix it. It's probably "in spec" I'm just OCD with wheel trueness.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 26, 24 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Hunt Wheelset: 30 Aero Carbon vs 40 Aero Carbon Disc [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I have no experience with these wheels myself but I have looked into Hunt Wheels myself. I do ride with someone who has a set and the hub pawls are loud but not obnoxious.

Why are you looking at the 30's or 40's instead of the 50's? The lower profile may be a little lighter in weight but I think that the aero advantage of the 50 is better.

Agree with hblake. I would NOT worry about a difference of 40 vs. 30. But, I also wouldn't buy them. I would go at least 50 or 60.
Quote Reply
Re: Hunt Wheelset: 30 Aero Carbon vs 40 Aero Carbon Disc [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Looking at the 30's or 40's for the opposite reason you think a 50 would be better. Climbing during training/crosswind stability. I already have deeper aero wheels (62 & 80 mm DT Swiss set up for tubeless). The 30's or 40's would be a good training wheel I think for all the crosswinds around where I ride, and the mountainous terrain. That's why I wondered if anyone had experience either with 30's vs 40's. I'd be using tubes with them for training with the tires and tubes were on the DT Swiss wheels (which I'll save for races).
Quote Reply