Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How well do the Jaybird Bluebuds hold up??
Quote | Reply
Thinking about getting pair but not sure how well the battery and earbuds will hold up under sweaty humid conditions in the summer. I understand that there is a lifetime guarantee to be sweatproof but reading the fine print, Jaybird's definition of lifetime is 2 years (which is the expected life expectancy of the battery). Since the battery is not replaceable, 2 years is then the expected lifetime of the project. I'm interpreting this to mean that after 2 years of constant regular use, the battery will no longer hold a decent charge. Anyone have any experience with this? $130-150 for some nice headphones will see way overpriced if you only expect to have it around for 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: How well do the Jaybird Bluebuds hold up?? [gdc222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gdc222 wrote:
Thinking about getting pair but not sure how well the battery and earbuds will hold up under sweaty humid conditions in the summer. I understand that there is a lifetime guarantee to be sweatproof but reading the fine print, Jaybird's definition of lifetime is 2 years (which is the expected life expectancy of the battery). Since the battery is not replaceable, 2 years is then the expected lifetime of the project. I'm interpreting this to mean that after 2 years of constant regular use, the battery will no longer hold a decent charge. Anyone have any experience with this? $130-150 for some nice headphones will see way overpriced if you only expect to have it around for 2 years.

I would love to hear the responses to this as I have a pair sitting in my shopping cart right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a pair of these last week after getting sick of the regular ear buds constantly falling out. Even the yurbuds wouldn't stay in for me (years of wrestling gave a bit of cauliflower ear). I've tried a different combination of plug and wing on my runs since I got them. They stay in much better, but I haven't found the right combo to get the left one to stay in place yet. Battery life is pretty good. My understanding is that you can expect about 1000 charges before the battery is shot, but that remains to be seen. I've only had to charge 2x in 2 weeks.

Much cheaper than the Beats bluetooth buds. But there are some cheaper options out there now as well: http://www.redfoxwireless.com/
These might have worked better for me but I went with the name brand for some reason.

Sound quality is pretty good and the range is pretty high as well (was doing yard work wearing them with the phone in the house with no issues). Don't forget that you can get a discount using the code on the back of your USAT card if you do go with them.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a pair for almost 2 years. So far no issues.
I highly recommend them

TEAM ZOOT 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They seem to hold up better for me than any others (all wired) that I have tried. I'm on my third pair. My first two went about 1 year each(of near daily use) and were replaced for free. They just quit working - no idea why. The first pair my wife ran through the washer with no damage. I'm very happy with them, and would recommend them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to say it, but potentially not so great.

I had the Jaybird sports last year, killed that one in 9 months,without any abuse. I think the sweat may have gotten to it.

I bought the Jaybird Bluebuds as a replacement, worked great for 3months, then just died a similar death, now doesn't charge or work at all.

The bright side however is that Jaybird has a 'lifetime anti-sweat' warrantee. So far, they've honored my Jaybird sports one - I called them, and they gave me a return #, and I mailed in the Sports and got a new set in the mail about a week later. I will be doing the same with the Bluebuds.

I honestly was hoping they'd be totally bulletproof in terms of sweat, but it appears at least for me, it's not the case. I will add, that sound quality is outstanding on both, and the Sports for me are just as comfortable and sound as good as the Bluebuds.
Quote Reply
Re: How well do the Jaybird Bluebuds hold up?? [ToddM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToddM wrote:
They seem to hold up better for me than any others (all wired) that I have tried. I'm on my third pair. My first two went about 1 year each(of near daily use) and were replaced for free. They just quit working - no idea why. The first pair my wife ran through the washer with no damage. I'm very happy with them, and would recommend them.

does the warranty start over after you get the new replacement earbuds they send you? I read that these things were launched in 2012 so it's probably too early to tell how they will hold up 2+ years, but i expect that if they do die out on you in less than 2 years due to sweat or something, then the new ones they send you should probably be guarenteed against sweat damage for another 2 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are awesome the first few weeks or so you have them. Audio quality is good, not great. Setting them up properly is a huge pain in the ass (pro tip: route the wires over your ears).

With that said, I killed two pairs inside of a year within a year. Getting through to Jaybird for them to honor the warranty was a pain for me and, ultimately, fruitless. I figured the first pair was just a freak thing but after I bought a second pair and they died after roughly the same use.... not worth it for me. Back to wires.

My conclusion is that the battery is the weak link of these headphones. You'll notice that battery life falls off rather precipitously. You'll go from about 8hrs of run time per charge down to 4hrs and, when they're are on their deathbed, maybe 20mins per charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a fellow who goes to Rutgers (engineering) and works part time at a local electronics store. I asked him for a recommendation. He said he's been through every set of earbuds, earphones, and even headsets and has managed to break everything except one expensive set of Sony cans. His recommendation was to expect to buy a new set of earbuds about once every 3-6 months. They are just so flimsy and guys being guys, they will break, be lost, or gunked up with sweat. So, I just use my free airline earbuds. At my age I've lost all my high frequency hearing anyway, so why spend money on pricey cans or buds when I can't hear a damn thing?

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only paid for the first pair - which actually made it just over a year. At this point I'm not sure if my warranty starts over each time, or their customer service dept. is going beyond what is required - Or, they do have a lifetime warranty against sweat, although I have no way of knowing why mine quit working.
Quote Reply
Re: How well do the Jaybird Bluebuds hold up?? [ToddM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually wear a headband of some sort that I wrap the the ear loops of the earband around before sticking it in my ear. It's the only way I've found that any earbuds will stay in place while sweating. I think they also function to prevent sweat from dripping on the earbuds as well. There's something called gutr headsbands that are a little thinner than regular headbands that I'm thinking about getting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a pair and they simply stopped working after three uses...highly disappointed, maybe just a defective pair...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wind up not going the Bluebuds route, I'd highly recommend the Monster iSport headphones. I've been wearing them for about 10 workouts per week for 2 years, and they're still going strong and sound beautiful. Bonus is they're waterproof, so sweat or monsoon rain riding won't kill them (the iPods driving them however.... not such good longevity).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the mpow for $29 last month to use while on the trainer if I want to watch TV. They worked so well and sound quality is much better than my wired ones so I started using them all the time. Only issue is they last about 4-4.5 hr with a full charge. Other than that which is a minor issue, they exceeded my expectations.

http://smile.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had mine, I felt the sound quality was very good. They were a little finicky to fit properly, but otherwise I liked them.

So did my labrador retriever. I have them no longer.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: How well do the Jaybird Bluebuds hold up?? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sound quality is great, it took like 30hrs+ to break them in tho.
Battery life is pretty good, but it drains the battery on my iPhone a bit faster.
They are comfortable, but you gotta find the right ear cushion and tip. Fyi I have lost all of my tips, something tells me that my puppy found a way to get them without destroying my headphones... unlike certain Labrador :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through 4 pairs in under 2 years. Upside is their customer service is very good and they replaced each pair, downside is they had to do that 4 times. Turns out that the microphone hole is where sweat can get in and break them, so if you do buy 'em, dab some krazyglue or shoe goo onto the mic hole (assuming you dont need it) and you should be okay. I thought the sound quality, battery life and ease of use were all very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for sound quality, ease of use, sound quality, and fit/stability.

I loved mine and used them for every workout for 6 months before they mysteriously stopped working properly after being on the charger.

I did some research and couldn't find a clear answer on the problem - could have been sweat, the fact that I'm on 110V power w/ high Amperage instead of normal 220, lots of things.

NOTE: I HAVE read that Bluebuds did NOT engineer in a down-regulator for the amperage, and they don't include an adapter (just a USB cable), so it's important to either charge them in your computer or find an AC adapter that limits current to 0.5A (unlike my iPad charger, which I suspect is what fried my pair).

With that said, I contacted their customer service via email and had an RMA number within 24 hours. Sent them off last week and I expect a replacement back shortly.

...I'd buy them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on my 4th pair in 2 years and they just stopped working! I love them when they work, but hate them when they don't. But customer service is good and they just keep sending me a new pair when they stop working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problem with them is that they sometimes stay in too good. There have been plenty of times that I took them off, and the little rubber piece was still in my ear canal. Have to go in the bathroom with a set of tweezers to get it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I am on my 3rd pair in 3 years. First pair I accidentally washed in the washing machine. They still turned on after that but wouldn't connect through bluetooth :/ . Customer service gave me credit for them and I bought my second pair which last about 6-7 months before they just stopped turning on. This time though they instantly sent me another pair and I haven't been happier.

While waiting for the newest pair of headphones I decided to try the 25-35 dollar groupon bluetooth headphones and found the majority of them are pretty ok. But not for running. Something about the bouncing around that screws with the connectivity. I never have that problem with my Bluebuds X and would thoroughly recommend them. You will be spoiled and will pout on the inside when you have to run with a corded pair of headphones again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine died after 4 years of repetitive use. I wore them often while riding the trainer. Buckets of sweat- no problem. In the summer, I wore them while cutting the lawn in the summer and they where loud/ clear enough that I could listen to audio books with no issues. Now, sadly, they won't hold a charge and I'll likely be asking for a new pair this Christmas.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had mine for over a year now and still going strong

love them.. thoroughly recommend them and will get a new pair if they die on my and outside warranty

in terms of battery.. i do put them straight in to charge after a run so never get close to the expected battery times
they did stop working on a crazy downpour once.. but put them in the charger and they were fine the next day

i use them with complyfoam s500 tips.. that makes a huge difference in fit for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with the many cheap BT earphones that are out there? I'm wondering about things like the GLCON brand that typically sells for $17. I'm sure they are low quality, but seeing as many people have issues with the more expensive ones dying quite frequently, I'm wondering if the cheap ones are an option as disposables, or if they basically don't work vs dying quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On sale at Amazon for $113.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next