Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how to take a route you did while out on the road from your GPS device and save it so you can ride that profile on your computrainer?
Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [rp87ebw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this will allow you to convert a Garmin file to CRS and use with the CT

http://www.racermateinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/TopoGPSsetup.zip

Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marcag, I downloaded this file so have it working. I tried exporting rides from garmin connect but this racermate program wont see them. Tried to take it directly from 705 and 500 but no luck either. How have you done this to get the course working?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [rp87ebw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, many times

You say you want to create a .crs file
You then say from a GPX file

You select the GPX file and it will create the CRS file that you can then load into CT. The sw will tell you when the crs file has been created.
Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I had tried that but got msg that said no data in this gpx file. I had created this gpx file by exporting it from a ride within garmin connect. Is that right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, you can export from Garmin Connect in TCX or GPX format. You want GPX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wont work. I do the export to GPX, then open my downloads folder and drag and drop that GPX file to my desktop and then pick that file from the creator program. Thats when i get no data in that file.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have Golden cheetah maybe import it into there as a GPX or TCX then export it as a GPX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use PerfPro to do this all the time. And I use PerfPro to run my Computrainer. Haven't used Computrainer software in a few years.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have golden cheetah but it does not have an option to save a file as a GPX, at least none that i can find. I hope i am just missing something really easy.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct. I apologize, I thought it could
Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
I use PerfPro to do this all the time. And I use PerfPro to run my Computrainer. Haven't used Computrainer software in a few years.

Does this actually work out for you?

I'm on a Perfpro + KICKR (not CT), but I tried uploading and re-riding some of my outdoor rides on the Kickr, and it was a total mess. The simulated inclines jumped around like crazy, since every small little degree change in the road was registered, even with smoothing turned on, and since you don't have the coasting you have outdoors, even a trivial roller than you go into with speed and just roll right over while barely pedaling, becomes like a brick wall if it's a short but steep roller - totally unnatural. I even tried it with the updated "smoothen course profile", and it didn't make it any more rideable.

I have though successfully programmed in by hand steady inclines approximating the average incline of the outdoor course - that works fine, and avoids the rapid ups and downs of short rollers.
Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes yes, other times no. Not sure what the difference is. I've had multiple devices over the years, and maybe the sampling or smoothing is different. I know there is also course smoothing available in PerfPro. That said, I have at times experienced what you're describing and will avoid those courses thereafter. But more times than not, it's been fine.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanatee wrote:
Sometimes yes, other times no. Not sure what the difference is. I've had multiple devices over the years, and maybe the sampling or smoothing is different. I know there is also course smoothing available in PerfPro. That said, I have at times experienced what you're describing and will avoid those courses thereafter. But more times than not, it's been fine.

And those are for courses that you yourself rode? The stock ones are relatively good about being 'presmoothed' but I've tried literally 5-6 of my rides, even on ones I consider near-flat, and the jiggers are enough to drive me nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: How to save a outdoor rides profile for computrainer [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, ones I've ridden personally and recorded myself.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can save your course/ ride as a gpx there is an option within the Racermate software that is not that easy to find but will convert it into a course. What you do is go into spin scan mode, then when you click on a distance grade file you will see an edit button. Click on this button and it will load the current file for editing. Once in the edit screen you will see an import button (upper right quadrant), click on this and browse to find the gpx file you want to import. If the file has both elevation and distance data it will import and you can save and name it. Once you have done this exit the edit mode and browse the directory distance / grade and find the file, open it and it will be usable.
Quote Reply