Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to deal with a really bad workout
Quote | Reply
There was a 5k on base today and I decided to run it as a hard workout for myself and a time trial(sounds like another post already on here). I am about 3 weeks out from my next Oly race, had a really tough week of training last week but this week was kind of sporadic because of my schedule. My goal was 17:30, which I thought would be achievable since I ran the last 2 miles of a duathlon about two and a half months ago in 11 minutes. I ended up finishing in 19:10. Not sure what to make of it. So I guess my question is what do you do when you suddenly have a workout that tells you you are not in the shape that you thought you were in. Any suggestions on how to forget it and move on?
Quote Reply
Re: How to deal with a really bad workout [MtthwUsaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't be too quick to assume you're not "in the kind of shape you thought you were"....could be overtrained. back off a day or two, particularly if you've been going hard.

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get over it......its a hobby! : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use the perspective technic.... you know.. a lot can influance a workout and give you a bad day, this 5km might not be representative of significant.

anyway, when i have a bad workout, i think about my littel 1 year old neice that jsut started walking and by that time, i usualy smile. If it dosnt work, i think about my good friend and teamate that is now unable to walk and talk after a terrible car accident. Usualy, by then, my bad workout are pretty insignificant and i go on in life without thinking too much about it.

another trick is to do something nice for someone, that make me feel good all the time or jsut go on a date with a girl!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: May 19, 07 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a 12k this morning with similar results. I was planning to run 6:00 miles or less, but averaged 6:28, and had no energy the entire race. Im kind of disappointed, but Im not going to let it get me down since my training is otherwise going well. I've been training hard all week, and I performed no formal taper, so I wasnt fresh. I swam and lifted yesterday, but gave the legs a day off, which might explain why i felt a little sluggish. If training has been going well, I wouldnt be too concerned, it was probably just one of those days....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that the other day, got dropped for pretty much the first time on a training run, ran out of gas while the other 2 ran on, pretty demoralising, but definatly lessons learnt from it, try look back at it and see what you can take, positives and negatives from the performance, did your pacing go well? was nutrition/rest adequate night before? when did the legs hurt? where was the lack of speed coming from? legs? tired body? or just lack of fitness? My original feeling as a i bonked and walked the last mile of that 15miler was that i was nowhere near where i thought i was and should i bother going on but a few days later with a clearer head i realise there were a lot of other factors that contributed to my really poor session and thankfully, they're all pretty changable,

party on

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that there are bad workouts, or races for that matter. There are, however, bad efforts be it a workout or race.

If you gave it your all, then that was the best you could do that day. It may be worth a little time to think through the episode to see if you could put a finger on the cause of the less than stellar result. In my experience, this is either very easy or very hard to do.

Focus more the next time around, and get yourself back on track.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You tell yourself you're supposed to be enjoying this, not stressing on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe you just had some cobwebs on your bones; didn't warm up right; or just didn't have the legs today...who knows.

either way, you were still able to run. even though you didn't hit your target, hopefully you enjoyed yourself anyway. and it seems like you're not really sure if you're in the right shape to hit your target or not. it does no good to feel bad about it, just keep looking forward and work hard. there are many other days.

there are alot of people who cannot run who would love to...so maybe shift your perception?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There might be 1,000 reasons why you had a bad day. It can happen to anyone, at any time.

No matter how crappy (relative to your expectations) it might have been, there are folks who can only dream about running that well, or running at all for that matter.

Fuggedaboutit, and move on.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Any suggestions on how to forget it and move on?"

Yeah, you could be dying of a terminal illness or starving to death in a 3rd world country, but instead you missed your 5k goal by a couple minutes.

Quote Reply