Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to choose a stem and aerobar for a Cervelo P2C
Quote | Reply
I have to replace the entire cockpit on my Cervelo P2c - the 8 year old aerobar and stem has rusted out pretty well after getting sweat on a ton, and then being neglected for the past 5-6 months while I've been a pure marathon runner (it sat in my garage and the condensation apparently made all the bolts rust out,and it's time to change it out anyway.)

I'll need at least:
- STEM
- AEROBAR (including base bar)

There are good videos online on how to change these things out - I'm sure it's a lot trickier than it looks, but I'm willing to give it a try and then when I totally fail, go to the LBS to have them bail me out.

I however have no idea what to look for size-wise when buying these things. Are all stems the same? Are the road vs triathlon bike stems?

And with aerobars, there are setups where they sell both the basebar+aerobars in an kit (I prefer those), but a lot more varieties of basebars sold separately from the aerobars themselves, which may give more flexibility, however I have no idea what sizes to match up with.

Can anyone tell me the basic specs/sizes or any major caveats when buying these parts other than picking road-bike type parts? Are there any major size differences that cause pitfalls when mixing/matching parts?

I'm a total noob at bike wrenching, so excuse the ignorance, but I'm a willing student, and I've got time to fix the bike over a long period of time since I'm not racing on the bike any time soon (marathon running for now.)
Quote Reply
Re: How to choose a stem and aerobar for a Cervelo P2C [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your starting point should be your current pad and extension x,y coordinates from the center of the bottom bracket. A secondary consideration will be the base bar bullhorn x,y. These can be tricky to measure. One of the past Trek Speed Concept guides showed a method where you measure with the back wheel/tire up against a wall or vertical surface. Following this method you measure the distance from wall to bb ctr and from floor to bb ctr. Then you measure from wall to pads and from floor to pads, etc. then subtract the distances from wall/floor to bb ctr. This assumes the wall and floor are 90° to each other.

Using the x,y fit info from above along with the frame reach (x) and stack (y) for the P2 you will know what you need for a cockpit x and y from the top of the headset. You could probably calculate this the other way if you have info on your Vision aero bar cockpit reach/stack and current stem. Either way, this is the info you want for finding a replacement aerobar system. You can use this to choose an integrated bar system or a separate stem, bar, extension system. Your pad position and extensions should be used to make the primary selection. Then you can check to see what your options are for the basebar bullhorn position.

Hope this helps. There should be plenty of help available online here. If cyclenutz sees this post he'll probably have the Vision bar spec info plus a list of replacement options!
Quote Reply
Re: How to choose a stem and aerobar for a Cervelo P2C [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^above is good advice, but to add some of the technical questions

Basically most modern stuff is 31.8 clamp area for the bars, although some aerobars (mostly "last gen" like the aluminum visions) may be 26.0 If you're buying something current, it's almost certainly 31.8. Steerer tube size is a little trickier, I think most P2C's were 1 1/8" but it's possible some were 1" best to check what your current stem is. (you can buy a 1/18 and use a shim if it's 1" though, so no big deal)

likewise if you're buying 2pc setups (base bar and extensions are separate) you'll just need to make sure the extensions hardware will clamp on the area for the base bar (again, most are 31.8 this generation)

There are really good setups in every price range... just depends on what you want to spend and what you want to focus on (adjustibility, aeroness, etc)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply