Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How sturdy are the 24 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a slight aero upgrade for my front training wheel and wonder how strong a wheel the 24 radially spoked Flo 30 rims will make? I'm currently running a 32 spoke Mavic Open 4 cd as an aero reference. My weight runs ~ 85kg these days.

I signed up on the Flo forum but am still weighting on official approval before being allowed to post there.

I'm of an age where back in my early cycling career we thought 32 spoke wheels were radical and untrustworthy.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Nov 29, 15 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 23 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likely, they are adequately strong.
Flos have a generally great reputation, both for product and for customer support.

The only issues that I have with low spoke wheels in general is that with some of them is that IF you do break a spoke on a ride, then the low spoke count wheel could be far less usable to limp home on. It is a compromise I am totally willing to make on race wheels (heck I have a 16 spoke front for that), but not so much for training wheels which will see a lot of unsupported miles out in the middle of nowhere.

But YMMV ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 23 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great points. With the 36 spoke wheels you could break a spoke and not always notice due to the s affect in wheel trueness. I'm just looking to keep up a bit better without showing a deep aero wheel. Perhaps 28 makes a lot more sense.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 24 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Flo 30s that I use for winter group rides that include some gravel, some very broken pavement and a couple of curb drops. So far, so good, still true and tight. I'm about 80kg.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 24 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
I have a pair of Flo 30s that I use for winter group rides that include some gravel, some very broken pavement and a couple of curb drops. So far, so good, still true and tight. I'm about 80kg.

Brian

Brian,

What's the spoke count on those Flos.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 24 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The standard 20 front/24 rear

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used my 20/24 FLO 30's for cyclocross, gravel racing, daily use. I'm only 63kg though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
I'm looking for a slight aero upgrade for my front training wheel and wonder how strong a wheel the 24 radially spoked Flo 30 rims will make? I'm currently running a 32 spoke Mavic Open 4 cd as an aero reference. My weight runs ~ 85kg these days.

I signed up on the Flo forum but am still weighting on official approval before being allowed to post there.

I'm of an age where back in my early cycling career we thought 32 spoke wheels were radical and untrustworthy.

Hugh

Road the hell out of the standard 20/24s last year... from 88kg down to race weight of about 80kg. They've been strong. Felt so reassured by them...and wanted to have easy-to-deal-with wheels... ended up using the 30s at Norseman last summer. Hellacious weather, etc... they were great.
Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 24 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Road the hell out of the standard 20/24s last year... from 88kg down to race weight of about 80kg. They've been strong. Felt so reassured by them...and wanted to have easy-to-deal-with wheels... ended up using the 30s at Norseman last summer. Hellacious weather, etc... they were great.

That's an excellent testament to their strength. Wheels certainly have come a long ways in the 55+ years I've been cycling. \\

Thanks,

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Hugh,

I think a lot of great points have been made here. Especially the point that limping home with a broken spoke on a wheel that has fewer spokes will be challenging. That said, spoke breaks are rare with the Sapim CX-Ray spokes that we use. I'm not saying it's impossible, but let's just say we RARELY get a call about broken spokes, especially in the front wheel. If we do, the cause is almost always a crash.

Also, our front wheels have 20 radial spokes, not 24. Unless of course you are referring to purchasing one of our rims and doing a custom build.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 24 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Hugh,

I think a lot of great points have been made here. Especially the point that limping home with a broken spoke on a wheel that has fewer spokes will be challenging. That said, spoke breaks are rare with the Sapim CX-Ray spokes that we use. I'm not saying it's impossible, but let's just say we RARELY get a call about broken spokes, especially in the front wheel. If we do, the cause is almost always a crash.

Also, our front wheels have 20 radial spokes, not 24. Unless of course you are referring to purchasing one of our rims and doing a custom build.

Take care,

Chris,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I had been considering building up a 24 spoke front wheel myself as you offer the Flo 30 rim by itself. After seeing how reasonable your whole wheel price is though it probably makes better sense to go with a build by you folks. What spoke count do you use on the Clydesdale build?

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
What spoke count do you use on the Clydesdale build?
The Clyde build only adds 4 spokes to the rear, not the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Canadian wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Hugh,

Take care,

Chris,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I had been considering building up a 24 spoke front wheel myself as you offer the Flo 30 rim by itself. After seeing how reasonable your whole wheel price is though it probably makes better sense to go with a build by you folks. What spoke count do you use on the Clydesdale build?

Hugh

All front wheels, standard and clydesdale, have 20 radially laced front spokes. Standard build rear wheels have 24, 2-cross spokes on both drive side and non drive side, clydesdale build wheels have 28, 3-cross spokes on both drive and non drive side.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: How sturdy are the 24 radial spoke Flo 30 front wheels? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
sciguy wrote:
What spoke count do you use on the Clydesdale build?
The Clyde build only adds 4 spokes to the rear, not the front.

I have had a set of the Clydesdale build Flo 30's for a little over a year and use them on my road bike full time. At 100kg and 6' 7" I have had no issues with them at all except that I find it very hard to install Pro 4's on them! But they have been great for me, even on some less than great roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about 83kg, and use Flo 30's for off-season/winter riding. I think you'll be more than happy with them, exactly as they come from Flo (20/24 spokes). I've hit some bad potholes, rocks, cracked asphalt, etc without the slightest issue. I use them with 23mm Gatorskins, and might try 25mm when they eventually wear out. So far, they have been bulletproof for me.
Quote Reply