Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many hours a week do you train? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are impressive totals Francois. When is your next IM race? I can't get anywhere near 20 until the snow goes away since I need big rides to take up that much time and I can do up to 3 on my trainer (did 2 yesterday) it is rare that I do more than an hour and a half at a time when I'm inside. Fortunately, I don't have to be fit for a few months although I may do my 1st outdoor ride of the year as a 50k (talk about shaking off the rusty legs and trying to hammer) in the March Mauler du during spring break.
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours a week do you train? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right now, I am just training because I enjoy it...
we had a few cold days (for us) at 25-26 with 30-40mph winds...in the am...stuck on the trainer for 3h isn't fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. I rode my 14 mile hilly route on a day that matched that desription ... like 28 degrees, with 30+mph winds. I'm full of braggadocio, so I wore shorts and a sweatshirt.

The wind was at my back on a smooth interstate on the way out. Riding at 38kph(24mph) for 2 miles is pretty fun. Even hit 45kph(28mph) for a bit without much exertion.

10 miles was with the wind from the side (from the left on the way out, from the right on the way back), which isn't much fun (and it cut right through my clothes). I felt as if I was riding on a tilt. Going up 2 large hills I was hitting 11kph(~7mph). On the 2 miles back I was pedalling straight into the wind. It was so rough, I just shook my head and laughed. I kicked it down to granny gear and did some spinning to see my counter reading 8kph (5mph). It was laughable.

I realized that wind resistance to a cyclist is what gravity is to a mountain climber. They have a saying "Gravity sucks" ... yeah ... well so does wind resistance.

Being outside on almost any day is better than the trainer. I think the term indoor trainer is Latin for "test of man's tolerance of boredom". There I am in the aero position for 2 hours, playing Madden on XBox. Hey, we do what we must to get the job done.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: How many hours a week do you train? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
someone called treadmill, the dreadmill...
I suggest the term Drainer instead of trainer :-)

but TT one piece of advice:our cycling coach once told us: below 20c, noone wears shorts, or you are out of the team...(that's about 65f). Now, I wear long bibs and sleeves until 70f...

your knees and other joints will thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The worst time to be on a trainer is when it is really nice outside. I used to ride indoors with my daughter sitting in her high chair next to me ..... quality time with my child until the sound of the rollers put her to sleep. It was a good thing it was in the basement so I couldn't look outside and see the nice sunny days :)

Hey Triplethreat .....Riding in shorts when it is below freezing.....you must have gotten some interesting looks :) My cutoff is 10 Celsius. Anything above that is shorts and a cycling jersey.
Quote Reply

Prev Next