Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How is your garage organized and cooled?
Quote | Reply
Im working on slowly converting my garage into a home gym but I live in Texas. Any tips or things that you have purchased to help with the organization or cooling of your garage would be appreciated! Pictures welcomed.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your garage organized and cooled? [jimbo9821] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use my garage for a gym, but I did install something very similar to this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/...ds=garage+insulation

On my garage door to keep it (any my master bedroom located on the floor above) cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. It definitely makes a difference, I would imagine something similar would significantly improve your ability to keep the garage the right temperature regardless of what you decide to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Houston and have the Computrainer set up in the corner of the garage. One floor fan and some tunes round it out. So I have heating in the summer and air conditioning in the winter. FWIW, I used to have this same set up but in the attic with a small floor fan only so I feel what I have now is luxury.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why basements were invented.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your garage organized and cooled? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It not organized, it's a cluttered mess. Not a complete mess, but not organized.

It's cooled and heated naturally as it's below grade under the house and attached to the basement. the door itself is insulated. It stay above 50F in winter even when it was down to -10F for a few days and stays under 75F most of the summer even when approaching triple digits outside. It's even visibly hidden from the street.... because honestly, garages are ugly. They don't belong in the front of a house aesthetically. Actually most new construction is just plain ugly. No symmetry, bad proportions and sight lines, small lots, poor attempt at adding fake character or style. Frank Lloyd Wright would puke if he could see the crap we slap up now that's loosely based on his innovative designs.

I have my trainer in my basement. It's not finished, it's a real dungeon.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cooling is not an issue in my garage, heating is.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it insulated now? That really goes a long way, then once you have the ceiling over the top insulated with good airflow to the roof deck and walls insulated, you might be able to make a dent with a window AC unit. The doors can be insulated with foam and glue. Make sure to get the heat out of that rafter space and avoid insulating the roof in such a way that moisture sits between the insulation and the plywood. They make standalone ac units, but you need to empty the water or drain outside and need a place for the hot air to exhaust
Quote Reply
Re: How is your garage organized and cooled? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
This is why basements were invented.

If you actually have topsoil instead of sitting on a limestone shelf with a high water table, sure.

Well, the water table used to be high before modern population growth at least.

(You can also read that as 'I wish I had a basement')
Last edited by: JSully: Jul 31, 14 18:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply