Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow?
Quote | Reply
I say he makes the tail end of the chase pack out of the water, hangs on for dear life on the bike and then puts down a top 10 run. Running might be his strength, but with a Brownlee, Gomez, Mola, Murray and some others his strength really isn't all that big of an advantage here.
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea, but I think I saw him on Zwift the other day along with Starky. They were both soft pedalling so I couldn't glean any performance predictors one way or the other.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race lots of folks who are faster than me in a 5K. But in a 10K, they die.

So shall be interesting to watch. Fast for a mile is not fast for a 10K maybe.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Really, what planet are you from.

He has a PB of 27:34 in the 10,000m. Not bad for a mile runner. Has it occurred to you that the mile is an aerobic event and as such, it requires a significant amount of running.
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

He has a PB of 27:34 in the 10,000m. Not bad for a mile runner. Has it occurred to you that the mile is an aerobic event and as such, it requires a significant amount of running.

My mistake.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds fair to me - that would have to be considered a success. So excited for this season!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah H20, that happens when you're like 92 yrs old and out of shape. Not so much when you're a world class runner. Get a clue man. Comparing the clowns you "race" against vs world class athletes is an invalid and idiotic effort. Try again.
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Oyster wrote:
Yeah H20, that happens when you're like 92 yrs old and out of shape. Not so much when you're a world class runner. Get a clue man. Comparing the clowns you "race" against vs world class athletes is an invalid and idiotic effort. Try again.

-Picks jaw up off floor-

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far behind after swim it won't matter.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and the award for being biggest asshole on a thread goes to...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
and the award for being biggest asshole on a thread goes to...

typical keyboard 'hero'...

as for Webb, that's a seriously fast run, but with that other talent, does he even make top 5?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should claim the award yourself. Comparing running times of a local jingle jog to what world class athletes are doing is a total joke at any distance. Plus the fact that he didn't know Webb PB 10k time and acted like he was an authority (again) is just plain dumb.

Before you bash another, do some research on H2O and you will discover a pattern on "look at me! I'm awesome...."
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [chrisinma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisinma wrote:
I think you should claim the award yourself. Comparing running times of a local jingle jog to what world class athletes are doing is a total joke at any distance. Plus the fact that he didn't know Webb PB 10k time and acted like he was an authority (again) is just plain dumb.

Before you bash another, do some research on H2O and you will discover a pattern on "look at me! I'm awesome...."

Cannot let folks down. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sure is fun to talk about. I continue to believe he is probably the biggest engine in the history of triathlon. Maybe the ship has sailed however?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished 57 / 60. 4:48 back from the lead.

Tied for 15th fastest run with 15:04.

9:24 / 00:36 / 31:48 / 00:25 / 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't give into the haters. You stay classy San Diego!
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was pretty close to my predictions! 15:04 is fast, still over a minute slower than Mola's 14:03..incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

It occurs to me that running the Olympic distance 10k is not like running an open 10k. It is more like the pace and intensity of the last half of a half marathon.
I wonder if it might be more sensible to evaluate Webb's half marathon abilities.

It is obvious that Mola can run really fast in a sprint triathlon.
But he has historically been less of a threat at the Olympic distance.

Not sure that this result says much about Webb.
Except that it is not that easy to swim/bike at the front of the ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

It occurs to me that running the Olympic distance 10k is not like running an open 10k. It is more like the pace and intensity of the last half of a half marathon.
I wonder if it might be more sensible to evaluate Webb's half marathon abilities.

But he has historically been less of a threat at the Olympic distance.

Not sure that this result says much about Webb.
Except that it is not that easy to swim/bike at the front of the ITU.

I think it's safe to say that his limiter will not be his ability to translate 1mile speed into 5/10k speed. The men's files is far too deep for a super runner to break through from a 2nd pack like Gwen does in the women's field.
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But he has historically been less of a threat at the Olympic distance. //

But it is not because of his run, he falls off the pace in the swim and usually has to ride 2nd pack. His run is always top or near there in olympic, so he runs really fast at 10k too..
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, it's not like Mola is 2nd in the world or anything. Or finished 2nd at the Grand Final. Whatever

monty wrote:
But he has historically been less of a threat at the Olympic distance. //

But it is not because of his run, he falls off the pace in the swim and usually has to ride 2nd pack. His run is always top or near there in olympic, so he runs really fast at 10k too..

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:

I think it's safe to say that his limiter will not be his ability to translate 1mile speed into 5/10k speed. The men's files is far too deep for a super runner to break through from a 2nd pack like Gwen does in the women's field.

Agreed.
Putting 1min+ into the likes of the Brownlees and Gomez on the run is simply unachievable most days.

Ali Brownlee's 10k during the London Olympic tri was only 97sec slower than Mo Farah's gold medal 10km run.
The mens' ITU field is so strong right now that you've got to be world class throughout to even be in contention.
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll have to see. Several people had unusually slow swims in both races. I don't know what the run says - wasn't he either in a small pack or riding with just one other guy? I'd love to see one race where he makes a main bike pack. Then we'd have an idea where his run is.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I'd love to see one race where he makes a main bike pack. Then we'd have an idea where his run is.

He made the main pack at the Tongyeong WC at the end of 2014. There were a few guys off the front (including Ben Kanute and Tommy Zaferes), but he was right in there with the bunch at the end of T2. He finished 10th.

http://www.triathlon.org/results/result/2014_tongyeong_itu_triathlon_world_cup/265211

Jason Pedersen
RunPd.com - Running as fast I can since '93
@jasonpedersen
Quote Reply
Re: How is Alan Webb going to do tomorrow? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:

Ali Brownlee's 10k during the London Olympic tri was only 97sec slower than Mo Farah's gold medal 10km run.

You really can't compare that to a championship 10000m run. They're not running for time, they're running for medals.
Quote Reply

Prev Next