Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K
Quote | Reply
I was just doing a hillclimb TT yesterday that was really steep and basically spent the entire thing standing. The effort was very much like running a 5K race, and more akin to running muscle activation than biking TT...it got me thinking "how fast could the best climbers in cycling with bodies like runners do a 10K". I am guessing that provided they have the lower limb mechanics (and I am guessing they do), both Contador and Quintana could take it under 30 minutes for 10K. Maybe faster. What do you guys think?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it would take long for them to get sub 30 minutes. But it might take a few weeks. They certainly have the engines.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was just doing a hillclimb TT yesterday that was really steep and basically spent the entire thing standing. The effort was very much like running a 5K race, and more akin to running muscle activation than biking TT...it got me thinking "how fast could the best climbers in cycling with bodies like runners do a 10K". I am guessing that provided they have the lower limb mechanics (and I am guessing they do), both Contador and Quintana could take it under 30 minutes for 10K. Maybe faster. What do you guys think?

They won't be even close to what good runners put out. At least not without good training. They may have the engine, but not the legs for running - I see it over and over with the best cyclists in my area. Unless they do multisport, they are very weak runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way in hell they are breaking 30 minutes without years of training. Obviously the engine is there, but running and cycling are very different. Lance's best marathon was 2:45ish. I'd imagine he'd probably max out at a 2:35 or so.

Ben King decided to randomly run a marathon after the season last year and just managed to break 3 hrs, which is still impressive given he obviously doesn't run at all.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
No way in hell they are breaking 30 minutes without years of training. Obviously the engine is there, but running and cycling are very different. Lance's best marathon was 2:45ish. I'd imagine he'd probably max out at a 2:35 or so.

Ben King decided to randomly run a marathon after the season last year and just managed to break 3 hrs, which is still impressive given he obviously doesn't run at all.

You're assuming that Contador and Quintana did not run as kids. Without knowing their past, growing up in Spain and Columbia it is almost certain as athletes, that they would have been running around kicking soccer balls and probably have the basics of running mechanics down.

FYI, Lance was a 16.xx 5K cross country runner as a 16 year old in high school in Texas. I bet his road 5K time (which he never ran) was high 15.xx at that time or close to 16 flat.

My thought it that Contador or Quintana could crack 30 minutes with 3 months of running. 30 minutes is not fast....the fastest runners in the world are 27.xx and arguably Contador and Quintana have engines just as good as the best 10000m runners, they might lack run specificity so being 10% slower should not be 'that hard".
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [andrejs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrejs wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

They won't be even close to what good runners put out. At least not without good training. They may have the engine, but not the legs for running - I see it over and over with the best cyclists in my area. Unless they do multisport, they are very weak runners.

I think the best cyclists in your area probably cannot be compared with the best UCI hill climb cyclists. I think hill climb prowess transfers much more directly to running speed than TT or crit guys. The big question for a climber with an engine is how well their lower leg works for running mechanics. If that is good, then we're probably good to go. Just looking at the musculation, length of achilles etc etc for both those guys, I think they could run pretty fast but if I look at or Tony Martin or Cavendish, I'd say, they probably can't break 30 min even though they probably have bigger engines than many local 30 min 10K studs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a neuromuscular challenge, not an aerobic capacity issue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For reference, the best xc-skiers back in the 80-90 ran the 10,000 on track under 30 minutes. Now the skiers are heavier so the times are a little slower.

Cyclists are skinny and fit so they would most likely run fast. How fast is hard to tell without having any data points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
growing up in ...Columbia

Colombia

(sorry, pet peeve)
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
It's a neuromuscular challenge, not an aerobic capacity issue

Now you're getting to it. So you think that neither of those guys have it? I think they do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking before or after they take their shots of EPO, HGH and TRT? If afterwards then I say 30 minutes should be a breeze.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Are we talking before or after they take their shots of EPO, HGH and TRT?

X1000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contador and Quintana "arguably" have engines as good as the best 10k runners? That's like saying that LeBron James can "arguably" dunk a basketball as well as a member of the U.S. men's soccer team. I think they could hold their own with the 10k runner when it comes to aerobic capacity.

I agree that it's a neuromuscular issue and not a question of aerobic capacity.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”
¯ Desmond Tutu
Last edited by: gjohnson: Oct 9, 15 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

You're assuming that Contador and Quintana did not run as kids. Without knowing their past, growing up in Spain and Columbia it is almost certain as athletes, that they would have been running around kicking soccer balls and probably have the basics of running mechanics down.

FYI, Lance was a 16.xx 5K cross country runner as a 16 year old in high school in Texas. I bet his road 5K time (which he never ran) was high 15.xx at that time or close to 16 flat.

My thought it that Contador or Quintana could crack 30 minutes with 3 months of running. 30 minutes is not fast....the fastest runners in the world are 27.xx and arguably Contador and Quintana have engines just as good as the best 10000m runners, they might lack run specificity so being 10% slower should not be 'that hard".

I agree that these guys could do it. But with more than 3 months of training. Running at 4:49 per mile they would need to be very technically sound runners and comfortable with leg turnover at that speed.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, where are you getting this info about Lance? We were in the same tri age group in Texas when he was 16 and 17 ( and I 15 and 16) and participated in many of the same tris (USTS, Waco, Presidents in Dallas, etc.). I was on my high school's cross country/track team down in Houston (Lance was outside Dallas), I ran about the same tri splits as he did (and could not go 15:xx in open 5k), and what I remember standing out at the time is (i) the fact that he was top 3 out of the water in every race, (ii) top bike split, and (iii) not-so-great on the run (but mainly, it seemed, because he wasn't putting in the time).
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [gjohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What it takes to run a fast 10k:
1) Running Speed
2) Great aerobic ability
3) Great Running form
4) Low BMI

Quintana and Contador have great aerobic ability and low BMI. It is likely that they have very good running speed.
But there is no reason to believe that they would have good running form.

Let's do some math- method 1:
Quintana/Contador vs Bekele:
BMI and aerobic (same): 26:20
Speed - assume Quintana/Contador- are 5 seconds slower per 400 sprinters- still very good sprinters- (5x25= + 1:40)
Form - assume Quintana/Contador have average form- 5:30 minutes
Predicts: 33:30

Method 2: Quintana/Contador better than bad:
Runner with bad form and poor speed but fitness and BMI of Quintana/Contador- could run 40:00 minutes
Quinta/Contador speed - 10x25= - 4:30
Quintan/Contador form - average = - 2 minutes
Predicts: 33:30 also

My guess is that they could do 33:30 for 10k if they trained.
One of the two might develop good form and run 32:00
And one would have bad form and run 36.

In short - I think the odds are good that one of the two would not be faster than an average slowtwitcher (on an age adjusted basis).
That the odds are good that 1 one of the two would have been an OK collegiate runner.
That chances of both of them running sub 30- close to 0.
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Oct 9, 15 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch forums are full of people that think- "I was a great runner so therefore I would have been a great cyclist."
Or I was a "great cyclist so I would have been a great swimmer."
My brother says - "I am a great lawyer, so I could have been a great engineer" (the arrogance!!- he is aweful at math).

Sorry- it doesn't work that way. Some of the factors that make a person great at one sport might make someone great at another- aerobic fitness and dedication for instance.
But other factors will not.
Some things just simply aren't related to each other at all.

There is no reason to believe that Quintana or Contador would have anything but average running form. And who's to say their bodies tolerate running stress well. Or that the could excell on considerably fewer hours/wk of training.
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Oct 9, 15 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

Slow day at the office, Dev?

Since when have you turned to trolling ST for your entertainment.? ;-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hang with a few former euro cyclists, granted not Contador, but very good and they can't run 10 feet without falling over. And, their bone density and tendon/ligament development (for running) is so lacking in development that it would take a long, long time. I think they'd stay injured most of the time if 30 min was the goal, and accordingly would never reach it. And, of course we are talking hypothetical so we can all say whatever we want!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt they'd break 30 without well over 1 year of very specific training. Big engine alone does not make a fast runner. I've known cyclists who pick up running easily and others who are below average. I think you underestimate how fast 30 minutes is. The fastest I would predict in under a year of training is 32 minutes-ish, with good training and staying injury free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as fast as Gwen. Am I allowed to give that answer?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First : I like the question. Taking PEDS out of the equation - which you cannot really do - if they could run sub 30 then could they switch over to tri and sweep the podium in rio? If they come out of the water 3 min down how much would a 3 team trial come out of T2 ahead?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...I trolled ST from airplane Wifi somewhere over Lake Tahoe. Then I actually started work in sardine class so have not been on this thread.

I really don't think 30 min 10k requires THAT much form if you have a massive engine and already have the body composition consistent with a standout local runner. That's only 18 seconds per 100m speed. Not really that fast in terms of how fast humans go.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
First : I like the question. Taking PEDS out of the equation - which you cannot really do - if they could run sub 30 then could they switch over to tri and sweep the podium in rio? If they come out of the water 3 min down how much would a 3 team trial come out of T2 ahead?

I think the problem is that they would exit the water 7 min behind and their run off the bike after an energy sapping swim would be slower than the ITU guys even if fresh run times were similar.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast could Contador or Quintana run 10K [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I hang with a few former euro cyclists, granted not Contador, but very good and they can't run 10 feet without falling over. And, their bone density and tendon/ligament development (for running) is so lacking in development that it would take a long, long time. I think they'd stay injured most of the time if 30 min was the goal, and accordingly would never reach it. And, of course we are talking hypothetical so we can all say whatever we want!!

Pretty much this, largely a durability issue. Thes guys train 1000+ hours a year in a sport which has a very defined and limited pattern. Also zero impact.

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next