Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How does Kienle train for the bike?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have specific detail on how Kienle trains the bike? (or any of the other uber bikers Hoffman, Freddy etc)

Not just generic answers like 'a ton of volume'. I'm trying to find specifics so that I can create a breakthrough program that takes me from high 4's to lower 4's.

Google is giving me nothing...
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [rob0106] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he has a unique and effective way to do it, I doubt it's in his best interest to make it public. Just sayin'

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A ton of volume.

Mixed with intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
A ton of volume.

Mixed with intensity.

This. And he's been at it for a while. Couple that with one of the best positions on the bike of any of the pros and extremely good equipment choices and it's not exactly a shocker he rips it up on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
threefire wrote:
If he has a unique and effective way to do it, I doubt it's in his best interest to make it public. Just sayin'

I know but some guys that are confident in their abilities might some info out there... worth a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
A ton of volume.

Mixed with intensity.

This. And he's been at it for a while. Couple that with one of the best positions on the bike of any of the pros and extremely good equipment choices and it's not exactly a shocker he rips it up on the bike.

This. His position is crazy aero and he has the legs to back it up. I know he participates in MTB and spends time on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could have every workout that someone ever did. It won't do you any good/be of any use to helping you (or another person) go faster if you don't know why certain workouts were put at certain times.
I could cut and paste all of Ben's training from 2006-present and I'm pretty sure 95% of ST would tell me it's crap training. And for most people it would be crap training.

If you're going to ride an Ironman bike split well (and be able to run well afterwards) you need to have a successful fueling plan, have as high of a threshold as you can muster while still having your major focus be on developing strength/endurance. Then race intelligently and right up to the red line.

Also of note. The training for a top level pro that has to race in a pack dynamic is different than someone trying to go from 4:50 to 4:30 (assuming a faster course)

Not really an answer. Hopefully sheds some light on where you want to start looking.
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
You could have every workout that someone ever did. It won't do you any good/be of any use to helping you (or another person) go faster if you don't know why certain workouts were put at certain times.
I could cut and paste all of Ben's training from 2006-present and I'm pretty sure 95% of ST would tell me it's crap training. And for most people it would be crap training.

If you're going to ride an Ironman bike split well (and be able to run well afterwards) you need to have a successful fueling plan, have as high of a threshold as you can muster while still having your major focus be on developing strength/endurance. Then race intelligently and right up to the red line.

Also of note. The training for a top level pro that has to race in a pack dynamic is different than someone trying to go from 4:50 to 4:30 (assuming a faster course)

Not really an answer. Hopefully sheds some light on where you want to start looking.

Thanks oprfcc
That balance of high threshold and strength/endurance work seems to be the key, I would love to know how the tops guys balance it.

Balancing long endurance rides, threshold work, muscular endurance efforts and v02 max work is impossible while maintaining decent quality sessions. In the end I tend to drop off the v02 max work...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I remember him saying once, is that he has workouts which combine two things. The first thing is the well known low-frequency, moderate intensity intervals, which is often done on a slope. The second thing are short, high intensity intervals which are also known per se.
Now, Kienle does workouts which interleave the two. That's what he said once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob0106 wrote:
Does anyone have specific detail on how Kienle trains the bike? (or any of the other uber bikers Hoffman, Freddy etc)

Not just generic answers like 'a ton of volume'. I'm trying to find specifics so that I can create a breakthrough program that takes me from high 4's to lower 4's.

You don't care how Kienle trains..... You just wanted to drop that you are capable of a sub 5hr bike..... Tosser.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many triathletes are looking for clever ways to avoid high volume biking. There are ways to get decent bike results with low/medium volume - but the real uberbikers are following Eddy Merckx's advice: "Ride much".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about training but he prepares for racing with a glass of red the night before. Something we all should consider :)
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
I don't know about training but he prepares for racing with a glass of red the night before. Something we all should consider :)

That has been a part of my plan from the beginning and I've had a glass before every race. So far I still suck. Maybe I should find out what's he's drinking. That could be the key to all of this. It's at least worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best advice given by a guy who did 700.000 height feet in 90days for preparation of a trans alp race: "Eat a lot and drive a lot!"

p.s. He won ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob0106 wrote:

Train more... probably a LOT more. Get more aero. Choose a flatter bike course, that's wind aided. If that fails and you have no ethics, take drugs. You'll be incredibly popular and well liked when you KQ.

I do think there's a lot of aero left on the table by many very strong AG athletes. With a more typical position, I think Kienle goes 10 minutes slower at Kona on the bike with the same TSS score. I honestly don't think his power was much higher than someone like Hoffman, he's just that much more aero. Keep in mind, it's a fixed distance, so the faster you go, the less time your ride, so you can rider harder and harder for the same total stress, so long as you stay aerobic. At a low 4 hour time, a IM pro will be getting closer to 80%NP...tempo pace... maybe even a little above.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He probably Rides uphill a lot. I once heard him say that he stopped using his power meter because he would ride like he was in a video game trying to beat his power scores.

I do not hunt to kill. I kill to have hunted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the top guys (girls) balance the threshold/endurance pendulum differently. Some guys need short (1-6 minute) intervals, some need 12-40 minute climbs, others need miles on top of miles. All from guys who've won IM's or at least lead off the bike and ran well for them.

If you aren't 100% prepared for the distance then you'd do yourself a disservice to focus on threshold (let alone Vomax, muscular endurance, ect) Make sure that always takes place first. After that build your threshold however you respond best to building your threshold. And make sure you mix it up every 3-5th hard workout. (another style of threshold building workout)

Keep on that for a decade and BOOM. You'll ride a bike really fast.
And of course #1 is to keep it fun, exciting, and challenging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob0106 wrote:
That balance of high threshold and strength/endurance work seems to be the key

well shit, if that is the key it would be nice if someone could clearly define what strength/endurance work is, and how/why it is different than work that makes your threshold high.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
rob0106 wrote:

That balance of high threshold and strength/endurance work seems to be the key

well shit, if that is the key it would be nice if someone could clearly define what strength/endurance work is, and how/why it is different than work that makes your threshold high.

Oooo I wanna know too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See for yourself what Ben does in training: http://www.strava.com/pros/1194434

Quote | Reply
rob0106 wrote:

I think you would be very surprised how little Sebastian trains in general. One thing about his bike you would never guess is that he doesn't ride his TT bike that often and he much prefers riding his road bike. Hoffman is on Strava so you can follow much of his training there.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From his blog:

Quote:
With training weeks up to 45 hours

http://www.sebastiankienle.de/...glish-state-of-play/

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I think you would be very surprised how little Sebastian trains in general.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
From his blog:

Quote:
With training weeks up to 45 hours

http://www.sebastiankienle.de/...glish-state-of-play/

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I think you would be very surprised how little Sebastian trains in general.

That is showing the max in a focused training block away from your home in preparation for the season, and as he says unusual "out some hard sessions now and again but backed off and mostly logged miles and meters, neither my philosophy or Lubos’ for that matter.". That sounds like just logging miles for the sake of miles and seeing how much lsd you can get in.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: How does Kienle train for the bike? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
That is showing the max in a focused training block away from your home in preparation for the season, and as he says unusual

Right, but point being, to be all you can be, you'll need, at some point, to do a lot of training sometimes.

Remember many of us age groupers think 8 hours a week is a lot. If Kienle normally only does 15-20 most of the time with occasional blocks of 40... that is a lot to most of us

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a true, but that is where I thought you would chime in and talk about being aero and paying attention to the details to help you go faster ;)

I do see the occasional full-time worker take off a week of training leading up to IM and throw in a big week. That big week might have considerable more relative quality than sebi's 45 hour week and may amount to 30+ hours before taking into account the increased intensity. The point is there is no special secret. Do the work, in Sebi's case since he was very young. Pay attention to the little things and let the cards fall where they might. You can't lifehack yourself to some 4:1x bike split.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 20, 14 9:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next