Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How did you learn - clipless pedals! User info requested!
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I've tried many pedals and I've also gone back to the one's that I've best adjusted to, but every pedal that is on the market probably has users that LOVE them and they have their reasons why. Tell me why you love your pedals, what you like about them and how you adjusted to the click-in of that pedal!!!

A little about me. I rode with Time back in the 80's, moved to the "field testing group for Speedplay" in the 90's, tried Time and Look again and most recently tried Crank Bro's for some pedals (I'm a roadie...). I'm back to Speedplay.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you learn - clipless pedals! User info requested! [BiciVelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a good starting point from a few days ago.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...w_flat;post=5672021;
Quote Reply
Re: How did you learn - clipless pedals! User info requested! [BiciVelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am devoted to the Shimano Ultegra SPDs. I really like how they feel, the power transfer feels good to me. I feel like I'm pushing down on more surface area than other pedals. I also don't think they look too bad.

The adjustment was just riding with them and practicing clipping out earlier than I normally would at first.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you learn - clipless pedals! User info requested! [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I always come in thinking someone has recently done something similar, but due to subject search, hard to tell! Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truthfully 99.9% of topics on this board have all been done dozens of times so starting a new thread is no big deal, especially since as you hint 'pedal' is something that's going to come up everywhere in search so kind of hard to spotcheck. Just threw that one out there since it was so recent.

While we're on the topic though since you mentioned you're on speedplays but started this thread, I assume you're not fully satisfied with them. My biggest gripe with Speedplay over the years is in the cleat durability and the general awkwardness of walking in them. That's improved considerably for me by simply using Keep On Koverz for all of my training. However, I'd consider just keeping your current pedals and swapping your cleats out to the new Aero Walkable cleats (you can buy them separately at a few places like CC).

I'm sure speedplay says they're only compatible with the zero aero pedals, but they have a long and rich history of overstating these kind of things. I have light action's on half my bikes and zero's on some other and I've never had an issue mix and matching cleats and pedals for the two systems and I'd be surprised if the aero walkable cleats wouldn't work just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried Speedplays and hated them. The cleats are a PITA compared to Look Keo or Shimano (which are very similar). I found it way harder to get clipped in OR out no matter what adjustments I made.

So that's why I like Look Keo or Shimano. Cleats are no fuss, no maintenance, and last a really long time. Once you get used to flipping the pedal over with your toe, clipping in and out is very easy and becomes second nature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To learn how to ride clip less pedals. Just pick up your bmx bike , clip in and ride a few laps on the track. That's how I did. You learn real fast how to clip in and out and stay in them.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you learn - clipless pedals! User info requested! [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you were not doing it right.
Quote Reply
Re: How did you learn - clipless pedals! User info requested! [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Then you were not doing it right.

Ha. Speedplay has been and should be maligned for some attributes but ease of entry and exit is not one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speedplay, most of the time since 2000. I believe they have saved my knees.

they were pretty easy to adjust to clicking in. Caveat: if the cleats get a bit dirty, then they can be heel to clip in.

I had SPD's before and have tried Looks since. SPDs were easy. The Looks were easy to clip in, but definitely the hardest to unclip.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply