Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How cold is too cold
Quote | Reply
How cold is too cold for you to be willing to do an open water swim?

I have a sleeveless wet suit that is it and I am taking a long weekend trip this weekend, water seems to be around 52 degrees, fluctuating a little each day but not much.

two swim caps dive in and suck it up for a few minutes till I warm up?
Quote Reply
Re: How cold is too cold [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A month ago I did a 1500 yard solo OWS to get ready for a race. I failed to check the weather that morning because the day before it was pretty warm. That morning it was about 45* outside. The water was not much warmer than that & was probably around the 52* you will have. I still had my wetsuit, but it was pretty damn cold. I got in the water slowly (mistake) and started shivering. But once I started swimming, I forgot how cold I was & just swam. I did 3x500 and after the first 500, the temps were not bothering me at all.

Short answer, you will have a shock when you first get in, but get moving quickly and you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find there is a big difference for every degree below 58 or 59 DegF. So each degree lower feels like 5 or more. My biggest problem is my face, that vise-grip lock the cold has on it. Not pleasant!

After 60 DegF things are much better. I use a LS suit. I'll transition to sleeveless somewhere around 70DegF and then after than to my PZ3 swimskin.

I just jumped in for a very quick swim in the lake here, no wetsuit - I think it's around 61-62.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the situation. If it's a race I will suck it up (remember one at 13C - there was a guy there who apparently didn't own a suit - I can't imagine how cold he would have been after the swim). If it's just a training session and there's a local pool I'll skip the OWS below about 15C.
Quote Reply
Re: How cold is too cold [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I find there is a big difference for every degree below 58 or 59 DegF. So each degree lower feels like 5 or more. My biggest problem is my face, that vise-grip lock the cold has on it. Not pleasant!

After 60 DegF things are much better. I use a LS suit. I'll transition to sleeveless somewhere around 70DegF and then after than to my PZ3 swimskin.

I just jumped in for a very quick swim in the lake here, no wetsuit - I think it's around 61-62.
Exactly what he said. Under 60 the water feels really cold and getting colder with each additional degree. High 50s is still swimmable but damn cold. I'd say the cut-off is mid 50s. Over 60 is fine. 65 feels the best to me. 70 is already too warm for long distance swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up swimming in the ocean in Northern California.
I don't own a swim wetsuit and don't use them in races.
I'll do open water races down to about 52-53ºF (~11ºC) without a wetsuit. Up to about 3 miles, more than an hour or so in that water gets to be a bit much.
That's pretty cold. Anything below 60ºF (~15ºC) is actually cold.
Above 65ºF (~18ºC) or so is nice, but doesn't happen all that often - even in SoCal.
70ºF (~21ºC) is great. Done a couple of races at 76-78ºF (~24-25ºC) in Hawaii and it was just too damn hot.
Quote Reply